PDA

View Full Version : Big Decisions

OlberJ
20-08-2008, 20:06
No, not whether it's McD's or Pizza Hut tonight (it's McD's btw),

what to do with my red Mk1.6 (F426)?

I'm going to be spedning the next few weeks getting the car sorted to a level where i'm happy with it and i'd be happy to either keep it or sell it.

I'm going to be sorting first up :

- New exhaust and y-pipe
- The brakes (needs re-bled)
- MOT

So then the decision comes, do i spend a bit of time and money on it, subtle arches, bit of paint, some 16" wheels, make it look how i want it to and to match the go.

or

Put it through MOT and sell it as a mechanically sound 1.6 that can then be finished off as the buyer wants, i.e they do the bodywork etc?

I know these things are very personal and i'd hate to put all that effort into a car and then someone rips it back off as soon as they buy it. But i also understand a well finished 1.6 is a very nice thing.

Either way i'll be selling it after the MOT as i've got Black Bob to play with and the Mk2 project coming. This ain't a for sale thread, more a what would make more sense thread?

Would you rather buy a project you can finish yourself or a peachy 1.6 ready to drive?

Your thoughts and opinions please folks.

Ta,
Olie

snowtigger
20-08-2008, 20:21
if its finished to a high standard as good as Paul's work then u should be able to sell it as is, these things are very personal mar-mite cars u either don't want the hassle and just buy one finished then modify it to your taste?.

Or look for the ultimate mk1 st205 front brakes, rear turbo brakes,v6 supercharged coilovers sports suspension polybushed, na gearbox with mk3 lsd and tall fith gear mod , solid body shell with no rust leather interior and all for 4 grand u would be a happy bunny chances are like a fart in a thunderstorm.

now ive got me 3vz engine turbo box fidanza flywheel and having second thoughts about wether too go 1mz and na gearbox with mk3 lsd and diesel 5th gear lighter?.

chriss
20-08-2008, 20:25
Body mods as weve seen are down to personal taste, ie get the car looking how you want it to look and fook everyone else but thats only if your keeping it long term. I would sell as is, youve done most of the hard graft engine wise now get rid to a good owner who can enjoy making it look how they want it too. Plus if you get it looking all peachy might be harder for you to let it go.

Goldy
20-08-2008, 20:29
I'd go for Pizza Hut...

Phaeton
20-08-2008, 22:05
If you are going to sell, then I would say 12 months MOT an honest advert at a realistic price. That way the next owner who is likely to be keeping it can do the mods or just the bodywork. One problem I think with mods is it can limit your potential buyers. That's my two penneth as you did ask.

Alan..

sidewaysfreak
20-08-2008, 22:15
I'm more of a KFC kinda guy.

Leave it as is , the new owner will end up undoing half of what you do to have it there way, just like burger king... mmm, now there's a thought.

OlberJ
20-08-2008, 22:27
So put it through the MOT and sort the bodywork to standard?

That way someone is buying a Mk1.6 they can either leave as is or do the mods themselves. For what it'd take to make the show match the go i'd be doing it myself, definitely not selling it as a "project". There's no rush to get rid of it.

Nobody would want to see what a set of 2" arches would look like on a Mk1? Subtle but noticable.

SlipSlide
20-08-2008, 22:35
Go for a Sub

Think I posted my opinion about a month ago.

Defo buy as a project then you can add your own touch to it, trouble with that is you won't get as much for it, and I am not buying another one, well till I am finished with this one anyway.

OlberJ
20-08-2008, 23:08
It does need freshened up, purely because it took me so long to do the swap, the paint has faded and it needs one arch redone so i'd be looking at putting 4 slightly wider arches on it and giving it some paint.

That's not gonna cost me too much in parts and obviously i'll be doing my own labour.

I'm not going to go daft with it and spend more money on mods than i'd make back (as i probably would if i was keeping it) but i want to put a bit of effort into it and get it to a standard i would buy a 1.6 as.

If i was to sell it right now i'd make enough to wipe my nose on it and that would be it. Plus i wouldn't be happy selling it on like that. The car owes me just shy of 3 grand, that's just in parts bought for it, including donor and victim, suspension, brakes, wheels, random parts.

If i put the effort into making it look right then i'd be looking for a bit more for it, ready to roll.

Right, that's made my mind up, i'll do the mechanicals, put it through the MOT and then put it up for sale. If it doesn't go for what i need for it, i'll go ahead and do the bodywork. Then if it doesn't sell i'll set fire to it lol

BSM
21-08-2008, 02:07
Burger king.

rattymr2
21-08-2008, 08:22
kebab

biteme
21-08-2008, 11:13
I'll bake some cookies

snowtigger
21-08-2008, 19:27
if setting fire marshmallows plz on a long stick cheers.

subtle 2 inch arches hmmm low nice big alloys sounds good there olber nice paint scheme tempting.

OlberJ
21-08-2008, 19:31
Decided today am gonna sort the bodywork and paint the beggar.

Not gonna spend any money on mods and just finish it off to a nice standard.

Will be up for sale when it's done so i'll put a post up etc then.

Cheers peeps.

JB
21-08-2008, 19:49
Yeah tidy it up Ollie. It will sell better if it looks cherished and you have plenty of time until the nice summer weather comes (next June).

now ive got me 3vz engine turbo box fidanza flywheel and having second thoughts about wether too go 1mz and na gearbox with mk3 lsd and diesel 5th gear lighter?.
Come have a look at mine it may help you decide.

OlberJ
21-08-2008, 20:27
That mean it's back on the road JB?

Mistertwokw
21-08-2008, 21:00
fatty arbuckles all the way!

JB
21-08-2008, 21:05
That mean it's back on the road JB?
Hoping so soon!

snowtigger
22-08-2008, 00:52
sorry jb have not got back to u as have been mega pulled out at work that and looking after two elderly old codjers making there teas, has knackered me any who will give u a bell when back off me holidays to sort a good look at your motor.

adamh
24-08-2008, 15:53
why do you consider selling olber?

OlberJ
24-08-2008, 16:07
Well av got Black Bob there, that's staying permanently, and i want to do a Mk2 project so am gonna sell this one and use the money for that.

No point in having a car i don't drive and someone else could have more enjoyment out of it.