PDA

View Full Version : Woodsport Mk1 Twin headlight conversion kit

Paul Woods
11-08-2008, 19:31
Hi chaps,well i decided id release details of another imminent WS product,this time for Mk1 owners only.There is nothing out there for mk1 owners in the modified headlight dept so ive been working away on these bad boys... please bear in mind these pictures are from the prototype stage,the finished product is 100% better and almost ready for sale,but this will give you an idea of what they will look like.... they completely facelift a mk1 ,i couldn't believe how different the car looked with these on.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/08/118.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/08/119.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/08/120.jpg

The mk1 is my own project car so forgive the rusty wings etc.

The headlight fairings are currently in the moulding stage,as soon as they are ready which will hopefully be within the next 3-4 weeks max they will be ready for sale.All headlight kits will come pre-assembled and with full fitting/wiring instructions,i can also provide a painting service so that they arrive in the same colour (or as close as i can get) to your car.

Prices are unconfirmed at the moment,the similar looking mk2 version which is sold by Racedesigns is £270,im hoping to break under the £200 barrier for these or around £230 painted.

All lights are fully MOT legal and E marked with fully functioning dim/dip and sidelight bulbs.

In the not too distant future a CF version of these will be available through zombie wings but might cost a little more than FG ones,that is to be decided.

Please post comments below both good and bad,but bear in mind you are looking at the early stage prototype,the finished items are at the moulders and really look the part :thumbsup: I know some of you are die-hard pop up fans,these are just an option for those wanting something a little different.

Bout time us mk1 boys had some toys!

Ps,advance orders can be taken or if you want to register your interest this is the place to do it

gtech
11-08-2008, 19:36
I had the privalege of seeing these in the flesh on saturday and they are fantastic....usual "Woodsport" professional finish

TbarTurbo
11-08-2008, 19:44
Good stuff... been waiting for ever for an off the shelf set of frog eyes!

What lamps are you using? sealed units or something to fit regular bulbs and ultimately HID lights?

Rosssco
11-08-2008, 19:45
These look good Paul, but any plans to make a low-rise kit for the mk1, similar to the mk2 version Rogue produce..?

Paul Woods
11-08-2008, 19:59
What lamps are you using? sealed units or something to fit regular bulbs and ultimately HID lights?

They are regular headlight bulb fitment so any HID kit will fit.

any plans to make a low-rise kit for the mk1

Not at the moment but it could be easily done.

TheGasMan
11-08-2008, 20:06
Im still yet undecided on these. :icon_conf

Paul Woods
11-08-2008, 20:09
^^ thats 1-0 to the pop up fans lol

sidewaysfreak
11-08-2008, 20:10
put me down for a set of them beautys!
big changes are afoot for the little red devil ;)

Paul Woods
11-08-2008, 20:11
I should add there's around a 2kg weight saving per headlight if weight is your thing.

TheGasMan
11-08-2008, 20:27
I should add there's around a 2kg weight saving per headlight if weight is your thing.

Ah. Im liking them more and more you know Paul.

chriss
11-08-2008, 20:30
Saw these little beauties weeks ago in the early stage, and will be ordering mine tomorrow, they really do look that good belive me, make a huge difference to the front of the car. Just waiting for Woodsport front bumper then big spendies on bodywork. P.s Paul, if and it is a big if, things slow down over winter would you consider doing my fat arches before it goes into body shop for respray. No probs if you cant but i just dont believe anyone else will be up to your standard. :thumbsup:

Murf
11-08-2008, 20:40
Not my thing i'm afraid, i have a fetish for pop ups!
I would be keen on a set of low rise quad pop ups though.

OlberJ
11-08-2008, 20:45
I like em.

What i'd really like though is covers that slide back and these pop up, tracy island style (tm someone else who said it on here before).

chriss
11-08-2008, 20:52
Another great debate me thinks.:hidesbehi p.s mirrors folded back look good, tucked in mirror next mod Paul?

Barronmr
11-08-2008, 21:17
Hey paul,

Sorry to be a pain in the arse, but would be possible to evaluate another option for a fully flush kit, ie dropping the lights back abit and covering with perspex that follows the mk1's natural contours? Maybe like the group b mr2 mk1 if you get my meaning.

I think aerodynamically that would be more beneficial, along with the weightloss of removing the pop-ups this would be a fully performance orientated modification.

Thanks

toffer
11-08-2008, 21:38
Hi paul, put me down for a pair painted in white, thankyou very very much, quality at its best, :hehe:

Phaeton
11-08-2008, 23:35
Im still yet undecided on these. :icon_conf
I'm completely decided sorry Paul they are horrible, why in any daities name would you want to get rid of the pop-ups. But then again it doesn't help for us all to be the same just they are so so so wrong.

Alan...

Whore of Babylon
11-08-2008, 23:36
",the similar looking mk2 version which is sold by Racedesigns is £270"

Can someone link me? i cant find them on google.

nik
11-08-2008, 23:39
fanfuckinlovely...pair for me please..!

millentubby
12-08-2008, 00:29
Love the weightsaving.

Don't love the look I'm afraid!

One for the hardcore 'function over form'-ers.

Look nicely designed though :)

Marksman
12-08-2008, 06:47
I like the look :thumbsup: I also think that with a few more modified panels on the car they'll blend into the overall new design and look even better.

Is there facility to adjust the steering of the beams?

How the hell you find the time to do this and run Woodsport I can't imagine!

Owen.

Paul Woods
12-08-2008, 06:57
if, things slow down over winter would you consider doing my fat arches before it goes into body shop for respray

Hi chris,i will consider doing the whole job including paint for you mate,we will have to see how things turn out,but id say theres a very good chance,i really do want to get the spraybooth back up and running.

would be possible to evaluate another option for a fully flush kit, ie dropping the lights back abit and covering with perspex that follows the mk1's natural contours?

I will work on other designs if enough interest is shown,but there would need to be a lot of interest as its a ton of work just to get to prototype stage.Perspex ones have inherent problems too like fogging that id need to get around,so the next light kit i do will probably be more like the quad pop up design so that everyone is catered for.

I'm completely decided sorry Paul they are horrible, why in any daities name would you want to get rid of the pop-ups. But then again it doesn't help for us all to be the same just they are so so so wrong.

Dont be sorry! these are never going to be everyones cup of tea,its very much each to their own,we have had raging debates on TB,pop ups versus flush mount and the camp is very much split 50/50,just look at this thread,half love them,half hate them,maybe i should call these marmite lights.....oh hang on,marmlights rotflmao in fact thats their new name :)

I personally love them,you have to really see them in the flesh to get the full effect but if you are a die hard pop up fan then you will always hate these,its not about getting rid of pop ups,i love them too! all im doing is giving us Mk1er's a little more choice when previously there is jack shit out there for us.

Im hoping to have the final finished product soon and will post pics of them painted and fitted looking their best.

Thankyou to everyone for the advance orders,final details will appear on this thread when they are ready.

Paul Woods
12-08-2008, 07:01
I like the look :thumbsup: I also think that with a few more modified panels on the car they'll blend into the overall new design and look even better.

Totally agree,these seem to suit a modified mk1 a lot better than a stock looking one.

Is there facility to adjust the steering of the beams?

Yep they adjust in every direction to get the beam setting right.

How the hell you find the time to do this and run Woodsport I can't imagine!

I have an evil twin.

Marksman
12-08-2008, 07:07
Sounds good. Where can I get an evil twin?

Owen.

Paul Woods
12-08-2008, 07:09
You already have one,its johnny lol

Marksman
12-08-2008, 07:13
You already have one,its johnny lol

It's a conspiracy I tell you. I will now go and shoot myself. Goodbye all, nice knowing you.

Owen.

Marksman
12-08-2008, 07:14
Hang on I'm back...

Marksman
12-08-2008, 07:14
Now I've gone.

Charged
12-08-2008, 09:31
I commend the work but but not my cup of tea... I've never liked twin head light conversions though.

biteme
12-08-2008, 10:41
I commend the work but but not my cup of tea... I've never liked twin head light conversions though.

I'm with you there young Oliver. I'm a popup guy myself, I do like the quad popups, but refuse to pay the prices.

jasper
12-08-2008, 12:10
I'm not getting the warm feeling in my loins like I do with the popups...

Paff
12-08-2008, 14:25
Not too keen on them Paul. Love the pop-ups and the fact that they are not allowed to produce pop-ups makes me love them even more :)

However the weight saving is an interest, one day when the V6 is back on the road and I have the trackslag as a spare car I might have to fit a set. (the slag is going though some serious weight saving)

biteme
12-08-2008, 14:26
Not too keep on them Paul. Love the pop-ups and the fact that they are not allowed to produce pop-ups makes me love them even more :)

However the weight saving is an interest, one day when the V6 is back on the road and I have the trackslag as a spare car I might have to fit a set. (the slag is going though some serious weight saving)

So I assume you will be fitting the 1MZ in that? :)

Paff
12-08-2008, 14:28
Undecided yet mate.

Engine is a mystery thing. I'll take extra weight for extra power if needed.

It was going to have an LS1 but I doubt I'll find one and they aint light so all options are being considered.

I might even make it remote control so my lardy ass doesn't weigh it down :)

Wolfman
12-08-2008, 16:00
If you want weight saving Paff why not get Paul to produce a nice Carbon Fibre version (http://www.zcentre.co.uk/shop/images/carbon-fibre-headlights-1-j.jpg)??? :D

Myself I love the pop-ups. :D

-wolfman

EDIT: Just realised in Pauls first post he was considering a CF version already.

Paff
12-08-2008, 16:21
spend that sort of money on the slag lol. na tis ok mate :)

Might try and make something myself oneday, as much as I an in awe of Pauls work, sometimes its nice to give it a go yourself before swearing and getting one thats already built :)

I've got some carbon and fibreglass matting lying around so I'll make a rough version to fit with the slags image.

I'm sure Paul will do well with these I know people will want these lights from him.

Paul Woods
12-08-2008, 18:01
well yes they will certainly sell,theres no doubt about that as theres nothing out there at the moment at all for a mk1,its just a matter of wether you like them or not... the camp seems split 50/50 which is about what id expect,so marmlights suits them! lol

chriss
12-08-2008, 18:36
Thanks Paul thats great news really wouldnt like it to go anywhere else. Will pop in to see you next week before car goes to Matt to discuss what bits and bobs ill need, then will leave it up to you as far as dates and slots are concerned. Cheers matey.

OlberJ
12-08-2008, 18:59
Sooner the better Chris, that means i get on the lift! Happy days. :mrgreen:

chriss
12-08-2008, 19:14
Lift :confused:

OlberJ
12-08-2008, 19:17
Car lift lol

chriss
12-08-2008, 19:20
gotcha :thumbsup:

snowtigger
12-08-2008, 19:41
I like these paul they look cool and give the car a fresh look maybe painted up they will look tons better when u have the silver machine finished, but i also like me pop ups as thats one of the reasons i like me mk1 .

quad pop ups now that would be cool ,ha weight saving yes but i need to lose 4 stone personally to get any benefit.

OlberJ
12-08-2008, 19:49
Mind that the pics are on Paul's car with NO front arches whatsoever, will get some pics of them on a standard car as soon as they get back from the moulders for a proper picture.

With extended arches though, these will took tasty as fook.

chriss
12-08-2008, 19:52
I agree Olber, will be a fab combo

TbarTurbo
12-08-2008, 20:22
Ill put my name down for a set of pop up quads, or flush 'group b' style to make numbers up if the price stays around the same mark, otherwise count me in for the second batch of frog eyes... (Always something to bring me back, why is the mk1 world so cruel!)

chriss
14-08-2008, 19:31
At long last thanks to enthusiasts like Paul and Nik we can finally match the body style of our converted MK1's to the grunt that drives them. Puuurfecct. :eek2:

Paul Woods
14-08-2008, 19:35
I agree,niks going to be doing some fantastic stuff with composites that will really do wonders for our cars.

chriss
14-08-2008, 19:47
Yep big up to you both. We love these little cars whatever but its all good news to have the same options as the MK2 guys to have a play body wise. :gay:

kaiowas
19-08-2008, 17:46
I reckon they look terrible but I don't care. They're certainly an option for whenever I get around to taking some weight out of the headlights on our sprint car should I find I'm lacking the skills/enthusiasm to lash something up myself. I'd prefer something a little more aerodynamic though.

Paul Woods
19-08-2008, 18:11
I really dont mind negative comments about these lights,they aren't to everyones taste,im just giving mk1 owners an option when previously there wasnt one.

Personally i love them,but ive seen them in the flesh and in a finished state,i think i maybe made a mistake showing the early prototype pics.

They really are each to their own though.

toffer
19-08-2008, 21:43
HI paul, it takes courage and great skill to do something like this, if it wasnt for your commitment we would be left in the dark without these lights, i stand with you 110%.......

chriss
19-08-2008, 23:14
Honestly guys, photos dont do these justice and they certainly dont look terrible but like everything in life its down to personal taste, fair crack.. but how good is it to have the option though. Ive lost count of how many times ive tried to find something for the MK1 from air filters to you name it and there is absolutely nothing out there. Its new mods and the evolution of this car, thanks to a very few small enthusiast companies who are putting in their imagination, time, resources, and EFFORT to keep these little and very underestimated little gems on the road. Love:thumbsup: or hate:thumbsup: Keep up the good work chaps.

Murf
20-08-2008, 18:15
On looking at the pics more, i think they are growing on me. How do they fix down, could they be swapped back over for the pop ups if you wanted?
Is there headlight angle adjustment for when mot comes round?
Are the lenses plastic or glass?

mart1975
20-08-2008, 18:20
great work paul, i really cant decide on wether i want a set or not as i do like the pop ups, i guess if i saw then sprayed up id have a better idea.
all appreciated though.

sidewaysfreak
20-08-2008, 18:22
How and when are you taking orders for these? my car is hopefully in for the arches soon and it would be good if these get done at the same time if they're anywhere near ready.

OlberJ
20-08-2008, 18:35
Murf they'll be adjustable on brackets, fully MOT legal, e-marked the lot.

Paul Woods
20-08-2008, 19:46
yep fully adjustable aim,can be returned to stock pop ups at any time and lenses are proper headlights with full dim/dip

All im waiting for is my moulder to get the first production run out,possibly ten sets or so in the first batch.As soon as he gives me the nod that they are ready then i will be within a week or completion as i will just need to assemble the kits.

I will update this thread the second i have them and will take full orders then,shouldnt be long though.

chriss
20-08-2008, 20:32
Excellent stuff. :thumbsup: How are you fixed Dec/Jan for body work Paul including light conversion of course.

snowtigger
20-08-2008, 21:04
my other half says she likes em says that it looks like a frog smiling kudos for u doing them paul will have to see these in the flesh and finished before i make me mind up ,is it going to be ready for santa pod at the end of the year?.

Paul Woods
21-08-2008, 06:39
hi chris it might be sooner than dec for your bodywork,just depends how things go,i will keep you posted mate.

The whole car tigger? i doubt it,ive so much to do and little time to work on it,shes getting there though.

RobYob
21-08-2008, 11:44
Very nice, although shipping to Aus could be horrific :sad:

gtech
21-08-2008, 11:48
Very nice, although shipping to Aus could be horrific :sad:

I have a friend visiting Austrailia in a month or so's time ;-) ... sure something could be arranged if you wanted them.

Paul Woods
21-08-2008, 18:20
Right well i heard back from the moulder today and he has promised me the first 6 sets of light units by the end of next week,im away on hols until then anyway,so when i get back i will start building the kits and get some proper pics of the finished article up.

chriss
21-08-2008, 19:57
Cheers Paul. :thumbsup:

RobYob
22-08-2008, 11:09
I have a friend visiting Austrailia in a month or so's time ;-) ... sure something could be arranged if you wanted them.

Month probably is a bit quick thanks :thumbsup:
Which part of Aus?

Jim-SR
22-08-2008, 14:42
put me down for a set! are they just "normal" bulbs, or are they proper HID's with ballasts and the like? id rather they were just normal lights, but if they are HID's then so be it. i was going to do something similar myself using Hella 50mm (i think) headlight units, but these will make my life lots easier!! will they come guaranteed MOT legal?

Paul Woods
22-08-2008, 18:44
yep 100% mot legal,they have full dim/dip and use regular headlight bulbs,you could easily whack a HID kit on afterwards though.The lamps are 90mm units so will light the road up nicely there being 4 of them.

Garbe
23-08-2008, 02:07
Top work Paul, not to everyone's tastes, but I like em, definitely gonna be a hit with the mk1 crowd. :thumbsup:

toffer
23-08-2008, 07:47
Ha paul, would it be ok to pick a pair of these bad boys up from you.? as well with some other bits for peter!!!:thumbsup:

gtech
23-08-2008, 08:05
Month probably is a bit quick thanks :thumbsup:
Which part of Aus?

I can find out Tuesday where they are going and the dates they are going over.....may even have been November ???

Paul Woods
23-08-2008, 08:27
Ha paul, would it be ok to pick a pair of these bad boys up from you.? as well with some other bits for peter!!!

sure,no problem at all

Paul Woods
29-08-2008, 16:03
Im happy to say the first 6 sets of light housings are now ready for collection,i will be going up there on monday to collect them.

Give me a few days to paint a pair and fit them to a car so you guys can see the finished product.

After that i will officially take orders for the first 6 sets,those of you who have already expressed interest in this thread are already on the list but theres no commitment from you until you see them in their final state.

I will update this thread later in the week when i have the finished product.

gtech
29-08-2008, 16:46
Nice work Paul........so next project I guess is a twin headlight, low rise kit for the Mk2 boys......think I've seen something similar before :thumbsup:

Paul Woods
29-08-2008, 17:13
lol aye i could easily come up with something much cheaper and better,it being a free market n all :)

Paul Woods
01-09-2008, 18:42
Well the original prototypes are now back in my possession,so these give you a good idea of the finished product.....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/09/10.jpg

Use your imagination here lol....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/09/11.jpg

And here is the first of the moulded product unpainted and without lights...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/09/12.jpg

As you can see the quality is of the highest order....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/09/13.jpg

another shot of my original prototypes....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/09/14.jpg

So i have the first six sets of cowlings,im just waiting on lights being delivered before i can make the first six kits.

biteme
01-09-2008, 19:24
They're pretty decent them mate :)

nik
01-09-2008, 20:41
lovely stuff paul..

toffer
01-09-2008, 21:30
:thumbsup: excellent fella, well done, looking goooooood

frisp
02-09-2008, 00:18
Top notch work Paul, loving the look of these :)

Jim-SR
06-09-2008, 15:33
how are they going to mount in position? they look superb from the outside and of a high quality, my only concern is with how they physically attach to the car as i cant quite see how they will from the pictures, but then i also know little about bodywork and attaching non-metal items to car bodywork lol

OlberJ
06-09-2008, 15:41
I think they screw into the old frame type ledge thing Jim.

Certainly secure anyways but not permanent so quite easily swappable.

Paul Woods
06-09-2008, 16:21
yeah they will have adjustable L brackets that attach to the panel just behind the headlight assembly,this will require two 8mm holes drilling.

The L bracket will then be slotted onto the headlight binnacle,this means the height of the unit can be set perfectly so it is flush with both bonnet and wing edge,which is very important.... i could make these with fixed brackets but each mk1 is slightly different,this way ensures the fit to wing and bonnet is mm perfect.

I will post up pics of the mounting brackets as they happen.

Jim-SR
11-10-2008, 11:51
any update on these yet? just wondering if the first sets have been completed and fitted to any cars? would be nice to see them full fitted and working to see what they look like "in operation"

also, any ideas on what pricing will be yet?

wangan_x
11-10-2008, 14:33
i don't like the popups, they tend to upset balance at 120, if these are available I'd def be down for a set provided shipping isn't gonna bend me over a desk and stick a barbed broomstick lube free

Paul Woods
11-10-2008, 15:35
sorry jim i just havent had time to finalize these...all of the component parts are there i just need to find an hour or two to produce the first actual kits.... its coming though.

Price i expect to be in the £200 area which is about £70 cheaper than the mk2 versions.

snowtigger
11-10-2008, 20:53
will these be available as a look see at the crimbo do so those that are going can have a taster?.:thumbsup:

cheers mike

Paul Woods
12-10-2008, 08:07
I will bring a set along if you like

snowtigger
12-10-2008, 21:17
please so i can have a look in person are u going down to leeds on friday night or saturday ?.

Paul Woods
13-10-2008, 06:59
im not sure just yet,the boss knows more than i do (bex)

wangan_x
13-10-2008, 09:53
it really bothers me, we have a birmingham and leeds right close to me here in alabama... that ain't the one youre going to is it paul? :D

Paul Woods
14-10-2008, 06:50
we have a washington here too :)

OlberJ
14-10-2008, 08:54
And a Moscow and a Newton Gilbert!

nik
14-10-2008, 10:59
and a brown willy..

Paul Woods
14-10-2008, 18:11
that last one is just at niks place

snowtigger
14-10-2008, 18:56
little pever pronunced pee over or balls kross in sussex and a twatt in orkney the bastard in scotland no offense olberj and three cocks in wales no offense to the welsh posse ,we do have an old york were as u have a new one.

There are i think 3 jacksonvilles in the states and 1 or 2 jackson holes.

Good american place names
1 bald knob in arkansas.
2 beaver in oklahoma and west virgina.
3 big beaver in pennsylvania.
4 beaver head in biddlebongodaidaho.
5 bottom in surry north carolina.
6 bum in bates missouri.
7 climax in colarado.
8 cumming in geogia.
9 dick in colarado and michigan and pennsylvania lucky devils.
10 fanny appropriately in virgina.
11 felchville vermont one to google for those who dont no about felching.
12 gaylord in michigan.
13 hornytown .north carolina one place i would like to visit like the next one.
14 hooker oklahoma.
15 or even virginville in pennsylvania.
16 but where most people go for a little rest break, wankers corner in oregon.

wangan_x
14-10-2008, 19:00
you fergit hell michigan

sidewaysfreak
16-10-2008, 19:22
We've got a Bell End over here as well you know ;)

Paul Woods
16-10-2008, 19:24
yeah his name's johnny lol

wangan_x
16-10-2008, 19:29
hey paul been to the po yet?

Paul Woods
16-10-2008, 19:31
sorry mate we had an emergency camry smash and grab run to do today,had to drop everything and go get it cos it was cheap and localish,i promise i will go tomorrow.

OlberJ
16-10-2008, 20:21
You can post me maw's birthday card too while you're up there. :mrgreen:

nikwills
24-11-2008, 15:27
Hi Paul,

can you tell me if the headlight units are brighter than the standard units, what is the price including fitting? Not only but also, could you tell me how my MK1 V6 conversion is coming on - it's hard to tell from the workshop cam,

best regards Nik :jump:

gtech
24-11-2008, 15:33
When some lazy ar$e gets up there and installs the 2nd camera, you'll be able to see everything:whistle: :whistle:

Paul Woods
24-11-2008, 18:48
lol @ graeme

hi nik,the lights still need some development work on the bracketry,i just havent had time recently. They should be brighter than stock though,as there as now 4 lamps instead of two albeit slightly smaller.Price for fitting including painting around £250.

Your engine swap is going nicely,i will get some pics tomorrow for you,engine is all built and engine bay is ready to accept it,just waiting for parts to arrive,cheers paul.

nikwills
24-11-2008, 20:26
Hi Paul,

would you have the time to add the headlight conversion to my car while you've got it?

I look forward to seeing the pics....

regards Nik

nikwills
24-11-2008, 20:28
Hi Paul,

one other thing - I've put in my profile info that the 3VZ-FE (V6) is being fitted is that the correct one?

cheers Nik

Paul Woods
25-11-2008, 07:01
yeah thats the correct engine mate,i will try my best to do the headlights too,i will give it my best shot while its here

nikwills
25-11-2008, 20:31
Hi Paul,

any photos yet? Don't panic on the headlights I'd rather they were right first time, if you know what I mean, I thought it might give you the excuse to finish off the design of the brackets,

cheers Nik

EarL
27-11-2008, 10:09
Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em and love 'em.

Top draw stuff Paul once again. These, along with the new front end and blended arches would give the MkI a really nice new look. Agressive but subtle.

Can't wait to see the finished articles on your MkI.

EarL.

Thags
27-11-2008, 21:56
Looks very cool mate please send me set all the way down here in South Africa toolol

Paul Woods
28-11-2008, 06:56
cheers,we are working on the final production of bracketry etc so once we have a set finished and painted on a car they will be fully available.

zirax
03-01-2009, 12:26
Any update on these? Could be tempted with a set for my mk1 :)

Paul Woods
03-01-2009, 12:43
Sorry i just havent had time to complete them,we are working on a way of producing the bracketry though,im hoping to be able to have a finished product by spring at the latest.

Driftin_AW
03-01-2009, 14:38
hey Paul, looks like you've got a million projects on the go as usual! I was wondering what the source of the light units themselves, and the cost of just the light units is? Are they still those Fiat Punto ones you were looking at a few years ago? Also how deep are they - could they sit further back if desired? Cheers

Paul Woods
03-01-2009, 15:02
hey malcolm where the hell you been man,good to see you back on TB!

I can send you the link to the light units if you like,they arent the punto ones,yep they will sit right back,you thinking of a perspex flush mount?

Driftin_AW
03-01-2009, 20:09
I'm always lurking, don't you worry :) A link would be nice, I'd love to save some weight if I can afford it, whether I'll do anything in the next year is anyone's guess, signed up for another year of FSAE so I'll be as short on time as ever. Hopefully I'll be doing some other stuff over the remainder of my summer holidays (finally hoping to do a fibreglass bonnet and finish my single piece boot/engine lid)

Whore of Babylon
03-01-2009, 21:27
Thats it, im sellin the Sdub and moving to UK (next door to paul) and buying a Adub. Its totaly unfair living in the colonies....Not enough MR2 stuff over here

DJJAW11
18-02-2009, 15:55
Whats the Latest on these lights ?

David

Do you still have the composite arches also Paul?.

Paul Woods
18-02-2009, 17:52
The score on the lights is that i have most of the component parts sorted out but i have no time at the minute to put the kits together,the best i could do at the moment would be to sell people the component parts at a discount rate and they build them themselves as its looking like my diary is full for the forseeable future.... sorry chaps.

DJJAW11
25-02-2009, 16:27
The score on the lights is that i have most of the component parts sorted out but i have no time at the minute to put the kits together,the best i could do at the moment would be to sell people the component parts at a discount rate and they build them themselves as its looking like my diary is full for the forseeable future.... sorry chaps.

Sounds like a good idea, considering

Paul Woods
09-05-2009, 12:26
An update on these light units.

I will have to source an alternative lamp unit for these light kits as the current ones do not seem to meet all of the criteria for MOT.I should stress that although we have used EXACTLY the same light unit as found on the Mk2 version of this kit supplied by another company (therefore we assume it should be MOT legal) ,it transpires that they are not.

When i get time to develop this kit further it will be with a different set of lamp units.

dodouble
23-05-2009, 19:22
very intresting, on my side in canada i had a similar idea and used some ebay 240sx lights
with ALOT of fitting this is where im at now...
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/05/250.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/05/251.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/05/252.jpg

Paul Woods
21-06-2009, 14:56
That looks good, very much like my version, very well done! :thumbsup:

I have decided that i am not going to have enough time in the next 6 months to develop this kit any further, all it needs is some MOT legal lamp units sourcing and a few easy brackets to make, you could use the lamps provided with the kit but they are for show use only.

So with that in mind i have 5 sets of light housings here and i can sell them as they are for the bargain price of £80 a set, or £120 with the four lamp units for show use.

Bear in mind this is not a complete kit,it will need brackets to finish it off, and because i have zero time to devote to this i am offering what i have at a clearance price until such time i can pick this project up again.

To recap this is what i am selling, a pair of these for £80...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/09/12.jpg

or £120 with the lamps that usually come supplied with the Mk2 variant of these lights but no brackets. Here is the finished article....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/09/14.jpg

Jim-SR
21-06-2009, 21:59
what size are the holes Paul?

Paul Woods
22-06-2009, 06:54
I will measure them today jim, i seem to remember the lights being 90mm but i will check anyway

Jim-SR
22-06-2009, 14:39
ok cool, i can have a look at alternatives then.

as a note, im fairly sure (almost certain) that the MOT regulations simply state that lights have to pass the checks for light quality. e.g. aim, and possibly intensity? there is no check in the MOT for E-markings.

meaning that if these lights can be aimed correctly, youd probably get them through an MOT no questions asked. however, without E-marks they would be illegal for road use, but youd have to be unlucky enough to get a tug from VOSA for that to ever be found out. and even then theyd have to notice (but they probably would!)

unless the lamp units can be internally aimed, and also have switchable dimmed/full beam positions then it could be a problem to get them MOT legal though. im thinking that half-height flip-ups are probably the best way to get semi-aerodynamic MR2 headlights, but these are worth some investigation as theyd be much better.

Paul Woods
22-06-2009, 18:09
hi jim, the holes are 80mm and the light units i have are 100mm, so some of the light is behind the binnacle. I know chris had issues MOT wise with my lenses not having the correct dip beam pattern, they managed to find a way around it as you say but i am not happy about supplying them as a "road kit" so although i am happy to sell them at a budget price without mounting brackets they are being sold for show use only until a point in time when i can pick this project back up and find some legal lights for the finished kit.