PDA

View Full Version : MegaSquirt V6 Swap

MR-3vz
23-07-2008, 18:15
I was wondering if anyone has done a MegaSquirt V6 swap? Mostly the 3vz as that is the motor im swapping. I was a DSM (Eclipse) owner and there were some problems with the crank pickup and noise and was wondering if the Toyota's were plauged with this problem. I already have a MS-II unit that I put together for my motor build for the eclipse and would love to re-use it. I was looking into the Hydra for the v6 but cant seem to get any info on it. Just wondering if anyone knows anyone whos done it or if there are any good write ups on it.

-J

whoozy
23-07-2008, 18:41
mr2 extreme,jinja both v6sc have hydra and myself.

Mr2extreme's is the only one that has been mapped.
Your best bet would be to speak to muffleman on here.

MR-3vz
23-07-2008, 23:41
Well i guess im more interested in the MegaSquirt option because i already own the unit. I was looking into alternatives if the megasquirt was a dead end.

-J

OlberJ
23-07-2008, 23:53
It's just not been explored yet and you're just the man to do it! :mrgreen:

It's something i've thought and talked about before, there's no reason why it wouldn't work, just there'll be teething issues and then you have to map the fecker.

Worth it if you have the time to spend on it and are technically minded towards the mapping.

95% of folks aren't though, or want it NOW, so they go for the off the shelf options (which are fucking excellent btw) but methinks you're in the budget line same as myself ;)

I say go for it and document it all as you go, ask your questions on here and the MS forum and we'll get you through it. :thumbsup:

3VZ-FE
24-07-2008, 23:06
Both me and AEK runs the MS extra with Edis 6 ignition on 3vz's. The edis ignition is very easy setup and works great together with the MS

OlberJ
24-07-2008, 23:34
Wow, that's great news!

Have you mapped it yourselves?

MR-3vz
25-07-2008, 04:46
With the EDIS ignition don't you have to swap an EDIS wheel. I guess it would be easier because i think the EDIS module controls dwell. From what i gathered from some research the stock IGBT's were a lil too weak to drive a coil directly and produce a good spark and would current limit before reaching full saturation of the coils. There was an upgrade but this upgrade had no current limiting circuit so close attention had to be payed to the dwell as to not melt traces on the board, wires and other bits that couldn't handle the current. The old IGBT's would just burn up and you'd replace them, but the new ones didn't have this protection.

On a side note I think it would be cool to set up a PWM circuit to try and get a good map and tune of the intake flap to actually squeeze and optimize the unit for best HP/TQ

-J

3VZ-FE
25-07-2008, 23:29
Wow, that's great news!

Have you mapped it yourselves?

Yes. Mapping is ok, but there's a lot of setup-stuff before that, and that's the challenge. I pulled 175 rwhp on my streetmap, and only got 4 more rwhp on the dyno tuning. That was NA setup, in a couple of weeks i'll be firing it up with a gt35 ;)

With the EDIS ignition don't you have to swap an EDIS wheel. I guess it would be easier because i think the EDIS module controls dwell.

Yes, but that's about the only thing, everything else is easypeasy. I haven't got any experience or knownledge with using dizzy with the ms, but it's possible. A friend of mine has a 1uz turbo with ms and dizzy's working great. I'm sure it's the same "stuff"?

OlberJ
25-07-2008, 23:36
Yes. Mapping is ok, but there's a lot of setup-stuff before that, and that's the challenge. I pulled 175 rwhp on my streetmap, and only got 4 more rwhp on the dyno tuning. That was NA setup, in a couple of weeks i'll be firing it up with a gt35 ;)

Wow! We've got to see some more of this build. Have you documented it anywhere?

Johnny's gonna love you. What you hoping for, roughly with the turbo attached?

Are you doing a remote mounted turbo?

3VZ-FE
26-07-2008, 00:50
Wow! We've got to see some more of this build. Have you documented it anywhere?

Johnny's gonna love you. What you hoping for, roughly with the turbo attached?

Are you doing a remote mounted turbo?

I'll make a thread in here aswell, but i have one on the mr2board. :) I have no clue on expected hp, but the wg has a 0.6 bar spring so i hope and pray i don't destroy the standard internals and hg's with that. :thumbsup: Will have to wait with internal upgrades for now, not nmuch time left of the summer

MR-3vz
26-07-2008, 08:04
I don't think a distributor setup would be that hard to setup. All you would need to know is the angles of the engines plus the control over the dwell could give u a hotter spark which would be better and prob produce a better spark for turbo apps. The only thing that would be a hit or miss would be the dwell timing and that could be figured out by a little bit of research. I think the hall sensor is susceptible to noise in the electrical system where as the VR sensor is a little more stable for triggering. Seems as the toyota setup is easeir than the eclipse setup.

-J