View Full Version : Is a V6 the way to go??? or just a fad...

TbarTurbo
21-07-2008, 19:16
Ive counted at least 5 turbo or v6 mr2s for sale in the last week or so, what the hells going on!? am i doing my conversion at the wrong time? i certainly wont be selling up within a year or 2 of completing it!

Is the mk1 v6 becoming a fad toy for big boys?!

OohMatron
21-07-2008, 19:23
In my opinion fuel prices are hitting me a bit :rant:

My MKII V6 can be a right gas guzzler when I hoon it and believe
me there's alot of hooning it going on around here.

With spirited driving this thing can drink a quater tank in a day :freak3:

They're not fads, the V6 is a perfect match to the MR, a much better
drive but can be pricey

snowtigger
21-07-2008, 19:33
nope i think very different reasons are at play some people it's the been there done that on to the next project. others are financial or spouse i.e not enough money for nappies, house, mortgage, wedding,and the price of fuel.

fads tend to be very short but ask Mr woods or Lyndon there seems to be a Que for there services to build these machines, and at the end of the day u have some thing different than the norm.

so when the tit in the Honda furious mobile starts his Ive got a bigger one than you all you have to do is blip the throttle and grin back at him and see that smug smile disappear

sixafterfour
22-07-2008, 03:01
i thought the mk2 turbo to 3mz actually got better gas mileage!
that was erik(or eric, i believe) was saying. his swap was done by paul woods.

Marksman
22-07-2008, 06:44
From what I've seen the V6 has better mileage if driven carefully. If on the other hand you like to stick your foot down often then the V6 will use an awful lot of fuel.

Owen.

OlberJ
22-07-2008, 07:28
It's like Honda's v-tec, except it's you who decides when it kicks in. :mrgreen:

EarL
22-07-2008, 10:31
My V6 consistently gives around 35 to the gallon when driven normally. However, when its driven hard, it will halve that figure.

...still love it though. lol

biteme
22-07-2008, 10:38
I think its due to the level of fuel prices i believe.
To use the v6 for a daily driver dosent make much sense economically as itll likely crucify you as the prices go higher.
Its just tending to shift the empahsis on usage somewhat.

Still a fantastic upgrade to any mr2 but for now it makes much more sense to use em as a weekend car or a tracktoy rather than commuting, unless you live close to your workplace and then its hardly worth the worry. :)

Agreed ... I'll use my Supra instead lol

The BMW is great, but with diesel prices, it's not that much cheaper to run nowadays

OohMatron
22-07-2008, 10:42
I think its due to the level of fuel prices i believe.
To use the v6 for a daily driver dosent make much sense economically as itll likely crucify you as the prices go higher.
Its just tending to shift the empahsis on usage somewhat.

Still a fantastic upgrade to any mr2 but for now it makes much more sense to use em as a weekend car or a tracktoy rather than commuting, unless you live close to your workplace and then its hardly worth the worry. :)

Pretty much sums me up Tony :thumbsup:

loadswine
22-07-2008, 11:26
My V6 is a weekend indulgence and doesn't get much use, but out there on the open road trips ,that I tend to use it for, I can get about 27mpg.Now that's on ordinary unleaded, which compared with my turbo before which needed super U/L which did about 30-32mpg and its not that bad by comparison.

weegaz22
22-07-2008, 18:54
as said people will sell due to change in circumstances (like myself needing a van for a business) some will be selling because the projects finished and they have nothing to do so move onto the next project whatever that may be, some will sell up cos of the price of fuel being a bit more than they can afford

whatever it is dont let it put you off, these are still quick cars for what they are, especially tubbys with a few bits thrown at them

OlberJ
22-07-2008, 18:59
Forget garlic bread, V6's are the future. :mrgreen:

frisp
22-07-2008, 19:02
Forget garlic bread, V6's are the future. :mrgreen:

Nooooooooo! Garlic bread and V6's are the future :rofl:

But, on topic, the sillycar would average around 28-30 normal driving, down to around 18 when hooning around. The V6 should still return around that :P

OlberJ
22-07-2008, 19:42
Aye, when av been hooning up and back down to Scotia av been getting about 300miles to a tank :eek2:

Can get about 450 if i take it easy though but where's the fun in that.

Need to get that LPG fitted asap!

frog_eyed_mk1
22-07-2008, 22:45
It's like Honda's v-tec, except it's you who decides when it kicks in. :mrgreen:

i be liking...

...or is it i be wanting:jump: :jump: :jump::jump: