PDA

View Full Version : mk1 window probs??

frog_eyed_mk1
20-07-2008, 14:35
right i was hoping someone might know more about electrics than me :hidesbehi

my passinger window is not working i get no responce fromdrivers switch but nearside switch will wind up but not down

now heres the good bit...
both switches good moter good and no broken wires where the door open

just wondring if anyone has had the same problems or could point me in the right direction while my car is still in bits...

any suggestions more than welcome:angel: as this is starting to piss me off now

thanx again peeps

frisp
20-07-2008, 14:47
Sure both switches are good? Try changing them over to test. I assume the windows are relay fed? Relay ok? Failing that, bad earth or boken wire somewhere?

frog_eyed_mk1
20-07-2008, 15:04
teste switches but have got spares so will try them

relay runs my dads

im thinking of a broken wire somewhere but god only knows

frog_eyed_mk1
20-07-2008, 18:55
anyone...

BSM
20-07-2008, 19:11
Ok, first of all you need to check you have power at the switches.
Then check that the feeds to the motors have no broken wires, use a multimeter set to Ohms rather than a continuity test as you can check for a short to earth too. You're looking for 0.2 Ohms resistance along each wire or there abouts.
Make sure your motors are ok, usually can be buzzed up and down witha bit of sire and a car battery by the door in question.
The switches reverse the polarity of the feed to the motors to go up and down so the switch has one pos, one neg and two outlets which swap as you work the switch either way.

Heres the diagram:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/07/147.jpg
HTH

BSM

Paul Woods
20-07-2008, 19:16
ok i will give it a go.... bear in mind you already need good electrical knowledge and use of a multimeter to follow what im saying...

here is your master switch plug.... that is the socket on the switch,not the plug that goes into it
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/07/148.jpg

get a multimeter and check for continuity across the following terminals with the window lock button set to unlocked...

Push the drivers window switch UP and you should get continuity between pins 2 and 3

Push the drivers window switch DOWN and you should get continuity between pins 9 and 3

Push passenger window switch (on drivers side) UP should get pins 1 and 4 joined and pins 3 and 6 joined.

Push passenger window switch (on drivers side) DOWN should get pins 1 and 3 joined and 4 and 6 joined

Leaving both switches parked should get pins 1 and 4 joined and 4 and 6 joined

If the above doesnt check out you need to replace the drivers door window control switch.

If that lot does check out get back to me,i have more tests.

Paul Woods
20-07-2008, 19:20
also if the switch checks out here are the tests for the relay which is in the drivers side door....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/07/149.jpg

also follow BSM's advice above

frog_eyed_mk1
20-07-2008, 20:43
Ok, first of all you need to check you have power at the switches.
Then check that the feeds to the motors have no broken wires, use a multimeter set to Ohms rather than a continuity test as you can check for a short to earth too. You're looking for 0.2 Ohms resistance along each wire or there abouts.
Make sure your motors are ok, usually can be buzzed up and down witha bit of sire and a car battery by the door in question.
The switches reverse the polarity of the feed to the motors to go up and down so the switch has one pos, one neg and two outlets which swap as you work the switch either way.

Heres the diagram:
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/07/147.jpg
HTH

BSM

thanx very much will try and work this out tomro shouldnt be too hard:freak3:

frog_eyed_mk1
20-07-2008, 20:47
and thanx again to mr woods :thumbsup:

i do have these diagrams but numbers are wrong/missing

but i will test all again tomro and let you all know

:praise2: