PDA

View Full Version : A few simple wiring questions

oddball
10-07-2008, 20:00
Hi Guys,
Have finally got around to starting on the wiring and have one or two silly questions. I should point out it is a rev3 uk car.
1- Running a continuity test on the green/white (cel) wire, does this mean
its dashboard out time, or is there a another way to work out which is
which (I have a choice of 3)
2- On page 28 of the guide, joining the 2 red/white ignition/injector wires to
the 4 black/red relay output wires, I seem to have 5 of them? I take it I
can just cut the lot and join them together? (Case of, the more the merrier)

Please bear with me though this harrowing experience, as im sure there will be more questions to follow soon. Check twice and cut once, huh?

thanks

oddball
10-07-2008, 20:23
Ok, forget the black/red wire question, have answered it now, think im just getting wire blindness! lol

Paul Woods
11-07-2008, 07:00
your cel wire.... pin 4 or 5 (cant remember off the top of my head which one it is on a rev3) on your old 22pin ecu plug (that should still be on your body harness in the boot) is a green wire (may or may not have white on it) ,either way theres only one green wire at pin 4/5 on a rev3,this is your CEL wire.

oddball
11-07-2008, 20:00
Thanks Paul, Big help, yup, its green and white, but the plug is no longer on the harness, quick check on the plug, and a continuity check (involving a 10ft length of wire to whats left of the dash) confirmed the correct one.
But guess what? Another question has raised its ugly head, and this time its not wire blindness.
The wire for the tacho on the dash, found the black wire on the white plug on the engine harness ( there were 2, 1 thick, 1 thin, so im going with the thin one), routed this through to the engine bay to connect to the black wire from the fusebox, and guess what? I have 2 black wires from the fusebox!
On the plug in the fusebox, one comes from pin 5 and one from pin 9. any idea which is the tacho one, and whats the other one for?
Guess im finding new problems as i have a '95 3vz, a pre '93 harness and a rev 3 car.:-)
Thanks for the help, but expect a few more questions tomorrow as i try to get it finished.

Paul Woods
11-07-2008, 20:06
well thats a first,ive never seen two black wires on the white fusebox plugs..... um you will need to do another continuity check from your dash plug,there should only be one black wire going to the tacho,you might have to trace it on the circuit board if there is more than one black wire at the clock plugs.

oddball
19-07-2008, 09:59
Ok, thanks again Paul, have now found the correct wire, it was coming from pin 9 on the plug (which is where it looks to come from in the guide), have no idea what the other wire is for, but i will deal with that one later if i need too. but back to the black tacho wire on the white v6 plug.
I cut the wire from the plug but found that a short way back, there is a branch off of it that leads to another light grey plug.
http://http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/07/138.jpg.
Do i just cut this off too and join one to the black wire in the fusebox?
Thanks

Paul Woods
19-07-2008, 10:01
yep.... just cut it off,that grey plug doesnt go anywhere so it doesnt matter if it gets the tacho feed or not...just run the black wire to your pin9 in the fusebox :thumbsup:

oddball
19-07-2008, 10:47
Thanks again Paul. How do you guys do this for a living? Im only doing this once on my own car, and im already starting to fear for my metal state of health (not to mention the number of tools which have had an intimate encounter with various walls and the floor!):confused:

Paul Woods
19-07-2008, 14:51
Its pretty routine for us to be honest mate but still very enjoyable hearing them fire up for the first time

OlberJ
19-07-2008, 17:15
Heck, even i'm down with the wiring these days, and that's saying something!

Paul Woods
19-07-2008, 17:16
well 4 of them anyway.... :)

frisp
19-07-2008, 17:41
Heck, even i'm down with the wiring these days, and that's saying something!

Is that safe? :hidesbehi

OlberJ
19-07-2008, 18:37
Nope lol

It's safe as fuck.

oddball
20-07-2008, 01:16
Well i am now pleased to report that the wiring guide is now completed, and im hoping its gonna start (only had to throw about 6 fucks about!). There seems to be quite alot of wires spare on the body harness though, guess thats for laterlol. Ah, the fun never ends, will probably find i have wired the speedo wires into the tacho or something :thumbsup:
But as long as it starts, i dont care anymore, just wanna drive it.
and i think im gonna get it done in under a year!

oddball
22-07-2008, 21:58
Ok, I spoke too soon! me and my big mouth, huh?lol How the hell do i wire in this engine fan control box? lucky there is only 8 wires, any more wires than i have fingers and im bolloxed! Some i can work out, earth etc, but dont just want to go with a like for like phillosophy and dont know where to run continuity checks too.
My brain (or whats left of it) hurts!lol
Only 3 weeks till billing, and she has to be running, or im coming in the work ldv truck!

Garbe
22-07-2008, 23:44
Sorry gary, meant to send you the wiring diagram. I will look for it and sendf it to you. btw you only need to connect 7 of the wires.

Garbe
22-07-2008, 23:47
You need to send me your email address, as I can't email you through the forum.
I have the wiring diagram and idiot's guide from oohmatron to wiring in the fan

Garbe
22-07-2008, 23:48
(Courtesy of Oohmatron - Stephen)

Pin 1 of the CF ECU take straight to ground (W-B White - Black)

Pin 2 of the CF ECU is for the warning light

Pin 3 of the CF ECU is a power feed, pick it up from one you've already wired into (B-Y Black-Yellow) it comes on with the ignition switch.

Pin 5 & 6 of the CF ECU come from the temperature sensor on the engine lid, extend the wires into the boot (L-O Blue-Orange) (L Blue)

Pin 7 of the CF ECU goes to one side of the Engine Bay Fan (L-W Blue-White)

Pin 9 of the CF ECU goes to the Cooling Fan Relay in the Fuse Box in the Engine Compartment (B-R Black-Red) You'll have to find this wire in the chopped loom

Then take the other not connected wire of the motor to the Cooling Fan Relay (L-B Blue-Black) You'll have to find this wire too.

To find the wires take the relay out and do a continuity test between the pins and the wires you have sticking out.

Paul Woods
23-07-2008, 07:15
ive wired up the relay before for noveltys sake and to be honest you are much better off running it off the ignition,these v6's make the engine bay hotter so it makes more sense to just run the fan full time... heat is your enemy and all that! either way works though.... the tubby to v6 boys dont even have a fan :)

oddball
29-07-2008, 12:58
Thanks again guys, Last part of the electrical nightmare is solved. found an ignitor from a breakers for £40 delivered! I asked if he would add the bracket for a few extra squids, and he said not too worry about it, When it turned up yesterday, the package seemed too heavy, but once i opened it i found to my surprise he had sent the ignitor, coil, suppressor and the bracket! Fooking result!
Not long now, shall be taking my questions about my little issues to the forum for suspension now as my back wheels seem to be running a little too much camber.

Garbe
29-07-2008, 14:01
email sent :blush:

oddball
17-08-2008, 14:35
Right guys, I have one final question before i finish with the wiring,
The engine is wired up according to the guide and works with no error codes showing, the engine fan is wired up and works, oil level and pressure sensors are wired and work, so, is there anything else i need/can connect/have forgotten? as there is still soooo much redundant wiring, both from the mr2 harness and the 3vz?
Just want to be certain before i strip everything else from the harness?
Thanks for all the help and advice:thumbsup: