PDA

View Full Version : 7M-GTE supra ecu a possibility?

steve-m-uk
22-06-2008, 21:35
I have been thinking lately about adding a supercharger (eaton m62) or a turbo ct20b to my 3VZ-FE but want to do it ghetto style if possible as i'm not loaded,has anyone thought of or tried using the loom and ecu from an early supra turbo as this would then be mapped for boost and would be a cheap alternative to going standalone ecu. I know the supra is a straight 6 not a v6 but would the ecu know that? Any input welcomed :wave:

welsh_kroozer
22-06-2008, 21:53
im trying to think of an answer here but dont really know that much about how ecus work, but... people tend to go for standalone ecus because there standard items are usualy non-mapable... and even wen they are they can only usualy alter the fuel map...

so... if the v6 and straight 6 engines have the same timings then it may be possible but your restricted in mapping. and you would most probs have to add a load of sensors to your engine

someone correct me if im wrong

steve-m-uk
22-06-2008, 21:59
I would be trying to use as many of the supra bits as possible like the injectors and sensors where possible,i know it won't be mappable but if it worked it would allow whatever boost the supra is mapped for which would be an improvement on the 3psi you can run on a 3VZ-FE ecu. Basically it's an exercise on what can be done using breakers yard parts and a bit of tinkering :thumbsup: I think what i'm after is someone who has more knowledge than myself to say it won't work because of X ,whatever X may be. I'm working on the principle that most toyota gear is interchangeable to a large degree.

steve-m-uk
22-06-2008, 23:02
From looking at an ecu pinout diagram for the 7m-gte i can see that it appears to have one lambda sensor not two so i would have to relocate the sensor to after the y-pipe and block the v6 lambda holes. Also the supra seems to fire the injectors in pairs,does a v6 do this? 1&6 4&5 2&3 are paired together. Looks like it has a cam position sensor too,does the v6 have this?

biteme
22-06-2008, 23:14
You also have to look at the AFM's too ... one works 0-5v, the other works 5-0v IIRC?

Injector sizes, timing etc, AFM resolution, all different. I think Paul looked at it and it was ditched?

Megasquirt would be cheaper

steve-m-uk
22-06-2008, 23:17
Could i not use the supra AFM and injectors or is it a non starter? My basic idea was V6 engine and supra harness and sensors e.t.c

biteme
22-06-2008, 23:21
Is the firing order the same?

The VE will be different and the fuelling etc... don't know too much about the 7M

steve-m-uk
22-06-2008, 23:27
Not sure on the firing order but surely if you connected the ht leads up to the v6 in the correct way and then wired the injectors to match up could the possible differences be overcome,does the ecu know which pot it's actually firing? I see how the heads will flow different as one is ge head and the other fe but would it be a massive difference or could it be leaned out with an air/fuel controller?

MRV6
22-06-2008, 23:29
I know naff all about ecu's mate but after putting a v6 in a deuce. If it were possible to use a supra ecu I would have thought the Americans would have gone down this route rather than going Stan Dalone. Also the firing order might not be the same.

steve-m-uk
22-06-2008, 23:38
Ok supra firing order is 1,5,3,6,2,4 so it's not the same as the v6 but if i changed the injector plugs around i'm sure i could get around this. Does anyone know if the supra has a dizzy or is it coil pack wasted spark setup?

MRV6
22-06-2008, 23:41
I'm sure my mate Jays soup is a coil pack.

biteme
22-06-2008, 23:43
The non-VVTi Supras are COP but get converted to Wasted Spark for a lot of ECU installations.

The VVTi's are already wasted spark :)

biteme
22-06-2008, 23:44
I know naff all about ecu's mate but after putting a v6 in a deuce. If it were possible to use a supra ecu I would have thought the Americans would have gone down this route rather than going Stan Dalone. Also the firing order might not be the same.

Just nearly spat my coffee out there!! Going Stan Dalone or Sly Stallone :)

Absolute PMSL!

Nod
22-06-2008, 23:44
7M-GTE uses a Karmann Vortex AFM which is a frequency pulse system. It also uses a 2 bit binary coil selector due to the weird ignitor seup. The injectors are 3 paired groups though a ballast resistor.

The engine position system is the same though so if you used every bit off the supra it could actually work, however the mapping is for a turbo so not really suitable for a Supercharger.

I have a customer selling a Link G1 for about £300 and I have the 7M internal sub board that may be suitable for a 3VZ application which you can have FOC, so that could be an option for you. You don't need any of the Supra bits with this ecu as it's internal map sensor and 8 injection and ignition for sequential use but a 3 channel Link Ignitor and Supra coil packs would be a good addition.

Lyndon.

Nod
22-06-2008, 23:51
Ok supra firing order is 1,5,3,6,2,4 so it's not the same as the v6 but if i changed the injector plugs around i'm sure i could get around this. Does anyone know if the supra has a dizzy or is it coil pack wasted spark setup?

It is the same effective coil selection order as the Supra Turbo IS wasted spark but as you are using HT's it doesn't matter anyway as you can swap it all around to suit your engine.

Lyndon.

MRV6
22-06-2008, 23:51
Just nearly spat my coffee out there!! Going Stan Dalone or Sly Stallone :)

Absolute PMSL!

Anything's better that Jackie Stallone, would be impressive on the side of your car. Sponsered by Stand Dalone

MRV6
22-06-2008, 23:56
Can I have the TM on Stan Dalone. Looking in the phone book now!

steve-m-uk
23-06-2008, 00:02
Sounds like i may be hunting around for an old supra to strip then :jump: Thanks for the offer of the link ecu but i'm wanting to do this using the supra bits if i can (i'm a postie so am skint) :violin: i already have a ct20b from my last engine that i'd re-use,are the injectors compatible from the supra?

steve-m-uk
23-06-2008, 00:10
Just another thought,could i do the electrical and fuel parts of this conversion and then use the car without the turbo fitted,would it run as if i just had no boost and was still a standard 3vz-fe. Then i could do the boot mount turbo etc and plumbing without taking the car off the road for long.

Nod
23-06-2008, 00:22
Just another thought,could i do the electrical and fuel parts of this conversion and then use the car without the turbo fitted,would it run as if i just had no boost and was still a standard 3vz-fe. Then i could do the boot mount turbo etc and plumbing without taking the car off the road for long.

As long as you use the 440cc Low Impedance injectors. Do bare in mind the mapping for these two engines will be quite different. The Lambda learning is quite good on the Supra ECU so normal driving should be fine. Not sure what will happen if you give it some boot though.

Lyndon.

steve-m-uk
23-06-2008, 00:34
Am i correct in thinking if anything it will be over rich on boost which will keep it safe?

Paul Woods
23-06-2008, 07:53
we looked into doing this several years ago (there might even be a thread somewhere) and decided it wasnt viable due to the different VE of each engine,in closed loop it would be ok but god knows how it would run in open loop..... all i can suggest is you invest in a wideband and monitor things very carefully,but you could be onto a winner you never know,certainly worth a shot,if it didnt work at least you tried.

Nod
23-06-2008, 22:17
You could use a simple Apexi S-AFC to correct the fueling at mid and WOT. You should be able to pick one up off ebay for about £100.

I have an manual ECU, fuel pump dual speed relay and ballast and a set of triple coil packs you are free to come and collect from Rogue. I should be able to get a injector ballast resistor and the guy next door may have a KV AFM, 440cc injectors and loom going spare as he's put a Manual 1UZ-FE V8 in his MK3 Supra.

Lyndon.

steve-m-uk
24-06-2008, 00:35
Thanks for the offer Lyndon,been thinking a bit more about this,could i just use a greddy rebic 3 with an extra one or two injectors and retain the camry loom and bits? From what i can work out the rebic has an internal map sensor and supplements the engines own fuel supply when under boost,i know it's a rough arse way of doing it but would it work? :hidesbehi

steve-m-uk
03-07-2008, 21:08
Anybody know anything about these rebic 3 controllers?