PDA

View Full Version : Walbro pump what difference will it make?

tom1mr2
22-06-2008, 21:19
It's running fine plenty of power it's on standard na pump

What difference will a walbro make if any on my v6

Oh by the way i think i am keeping it as it did not go for what i wanted on the bay so i will be around for a little longer :).

Thanks, Tom.

tom1mr2
22-06-2008, 22:30
anyone?

MRV6
22-06-2008, 22:36
I thought it made a big difference on my car, having said that I was running a n/a fuel pump for a few months on the 3.0l conversion. Went walbro and it felt soo much better and smoother. The car seemed to die betwix gear changes, the walbro semed to cure that.

OlberJ
23-06-2008, 19:59
Aye it's worth doing and if you're keeping the car then when u do more mods it'll handle that too. :thumbsup:

Jiff Lemon
23-06-2008, 20:18
and the noise will drive you insane after a week.....

there's always a trade off somewhere!

tom1mr2
23-06-2008, 21:08
Ah noticed a few saying it's a noise that will drive you mad,

Just wanted to know if it's worth the £80-£100 it will cost any power gain at all? or just better driveability.

Ta for the replys.

OlberJ
23-06-2008, 21:27
Are the Walbro's noisy? Didn't realise.

Get a supra TT pump, flows more and makes no noise.

Garbe
23-06-2008, 22:17
and the noise will drive you insane after a week.....

there's always a trade off somewhere!

I ended up dropping the tank as I had a leak from the heater hose and took the opportunity to change the noisy bugger to a turbo pump. I haven't noticed any difference between the pumps.

Except I'm not going crazy with the whine and peace is restored, can only hear the exhaust now.

spot
23-06-2008, 23:10
i put a walbro on mine and had to change it on saturday morning as it was just flooding her
so if you want one its yours for the right price

onyx
29-06-2008, 12:08
when you guys say you were using the NA oump are you talking the 3s NA or the 3vz?

Lee
29-06-2008, 12:58
I think they mean the 3S N/A mate as they are upto the job on a standard conversion.

How does an uprated fuel pump flood the engine? My basic understanding with modern engines is that the fuel pump provides the supply, however the engine with modern injectors etc only allows the required amount of fuel to maintain the right A/F ratio. It's just that if you use bigger injectors an uprated pump then has sufficient flow to keep up with the demand of the engine.
What I'm trying to say is in theory you could fit a fuel pump off a bugatti veyron and it will have no effect on the running of the standard engine?

I've got the Walbro on mine and under normal running I never notice it. When I went to the 1/4mile it did whine like crazy but it settled down again. Maybe I got lucky who knows :confused:

OlberJ
29-06-2008, 13:35
Spot has a 1MZ V6, that is a non return fuel rail on there, whereas the 3VZ is return fuel railed.

Not sure how it flooded the engine though.

OlberJ
29-06-2008, 14:49
Hmmm, where is the regulator on a standard system? Cause all we're swapping is the actual pump. Is it inside the pump?

TheGasMan
29-06-2008, 14:50
Just a message about the noise really, i have a Walbro on the 2 and i dont notice any strange noises?:hidesbehi

OlberJ
29-06-2008, 16:30
Aha, gotcha.

Paul Woods
29-06-2008, 16:47
some walbros seem noisy,others dont..... its 50/50 really.... i think its probably doing something like resonating against the pump carrier in some cases,who knows! I asked GTSchris about it as we were seeing a few of them with noisy pumps (all new when fitted) and he said its a problem on every car forum that uses walbros,some are noisy and some arent.

Walbro are pretty sure it isnt a manufacturing fault,so its got to be resonance of some sort in my opinion.

supersi
29-06-2008, 17:30
Any opinions on these pumps ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120276946518

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180256091030&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

OlberJ
29-06-2008, 18:21
1st one is a billy bargain!

spot
29-06-2008, 21:40
Spot has a 1MZ V6, that is a non return fuel rail on there, whereas the 3VZ is return fuel railed.

Not sure how it flooded the engine though.
well here is how it went i picked her up from mot on the wednesday and she had to be dragged up the road behind a van to get her to start this was after taking the plugs out TWICE when she did start she absolutely stunk of fuel and when i drove her the 1 mile home you would have thought a petrol spillage had happened under the bonnet --absolutely stunk of petrol.:eek2:
so came to saturday morning hi ho off to japshow :hand: same again took out and dried the plugs twice still no joy put the old pump back in hey ho no problems.
just overfueling her!! i was hoping that i could get her on a run and maybe the ecu would sort it out but couldnt even get her to start so until i come up with a solution it stays in the shed.

Bev
18-01-2009, 23:18
Spot, do you have any fuel return setup in your car? If you don't, that's why it's overfueling. The standard toyota pump pushes fuel into the engine. The function of the fuel pressure regulator is to allow some of that fuel to go back into the tank, and in turn regulate the pressure in the rail. In other words, if the fuel pressure rail has too much pressure in it, it just releases some fuel back into the tank to calm the pressure back down to where it should be. If you look at the fuel pressure regs on most engines, I believe they integrate vacuum into them so that when the engine revs up, it can tell that's happenning as the vac drops off. What the reg then does is up the fuel rail pressure for increased fuel demands (engine at a higher rpm).

What I think may have been happening in your case if you were running no fuel pressure reg is that the standard toyota pump could only supply x ammount of pressure, which may have been slightly higher than normal with a return, but your ecu could accoumodate for it by shortening the injector duty cycle just slightly (injectors open for a shorter time). However, when you went to the higher powered walbro pump, the fuel pressure was high enough that the injector duty cycle was so short that the ECU lacks the resolution to keep it open for such a short time. The ecu and so on would have only been designed to keep the injectors open for the time required at idle and above. Not a shorter period than this. Also, injectors have a set time in milliseconds that is required for the injector to open then close.

What it comes down to, is that if you're not running a return with these engines, you're ECU will not regulate fuel properly. You NEED a fuel pressure regulation setup in order for your ECU to be able to spit just the right ammount of fuel into the cylinders. Think of it like a hose pipe. If you have a hose with two outlets, when you open one slightly or fully (like the regulator releasing fuel back into your tank automatically as it wishes), the pressure at the other hose changes. By the valve opening and closing automatically, it keeps the other hose at a perscribed pressure. And of course, when you have a pre set pressure in the second hose, you know that if you open the valve on it for x ammount of time, you'll always get x ammount of fuel out. Your ecu is assuming there is x pressure there and in accordance, opening for x ammount of time. However in reality there is over x pressure there, so when it opens for x ammount of time, you get too much fuel = a rich running engine. Do you find that the engine runs alot nicer at higher rpm than at idle as the fuel pressure drops off to closer to normal values with increased demand?

Bevan

hmmmmm
18-01-2009, 23:32
thats a lot of text for a 6 month old topic ;)

Bev
19-01-2009, 01:55
DOH! oh well... might be useful to someone who's having the same symptoms... lol