View Full Version : FE to GE swap

big_rich
16-06-2008, 23:20
hey all, i've got a broken FE engine, n i've had enough being given GE parts for it by my local parts dealer.
so i was thinking of dropping a GE in there seems they're alot better in many ways!

just wanted to know if anyones done a similar swap?
and what would i need?

so far i can think of:
The Engine (of course)
Gearbox?
ECU
Loom
Dials

anything else?

do they share all the same mounts and things?
also which Rev GE would be most suitable?
(bearing in mind mines a 1991 FE)

and! does anyone have all these bits they'd be willing to send to Cornwall?
(local scrappys only tool is an angle grinder for removing stuff)

Paul Woods
17-06-2008, 06:57
if you get the same revision GE im pretty sure its all plug n play...although to be honest ive never done an FE to GE swap as its not really worth the effort,but from a replacement engine standpoint it makes sense i suppose... best of luck with it,if you need any help just ask.

chris99
17-06-2008, 10:11
Just V6 it. You wont look back i promise

big_rich
17-06-2008, 12:28
i was waiting for the v6 comment :P

i'd LOVE to v6 it, however finding a good camry is hard, and the swap is pretty expensive, plus once its finished i wouldnt be able to afford to run it.. lol
i dont earn enough to run anything bigger than a 2.0, esspecially as its my main car.. lol

Garbe
17-06-2008, 12:59
running it isn't much more than a 2.0, just seems more to me because of the fuel prices. Do it V6 it.

chris99
17-06-2008, 13:50
i was waiting for the v6 comment :P

i'd LOVE to v6 it, however finding a good camry is hard, and the swap is pretty expensive, plus once its finished i wouldnt be able to afford to run it.. lol
i dont earn enough to run anything bigger than a 2.0, esspecially as its my main car.. lol

TBH i spent about a grand total to do the swap myself. My insurance dropped by over £100 and the fuel is no worse. The noise and performance are way better now!