PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer

Sponge Bob
11-06-2008, 14:07
Quick question...

My speedo is dead, but my rev counter works?

Presume problem must be with something behind the dash, and not the connection between engine and dash (or both would be broken)...

Any ideas what could be wrong before I strip the dash?

Thanks peeps

:driving:

robwsurf
11-06-2008, 15:54
rev counter has nothing to do with the speedo rev counter takes signal from coil or ignitor, speedo signal from speedo drive in gearbox if its a mechanical one chances are its the speedo drive onthe gear box although mine snapped behind the dash before both easy to check

Jiff Lemon
11-06-2008, 16:09
undo gearbox end. spin cable between fingers, see if speedo head "jumps".

Sponge Bob
12-06-2008, 08:00
Ahh - I thought they ran from the same cable... cheers chaps - will check to see if I've pulled it out.

Oh Jiff - I had a look mate, I didn't have the ignitor bit you needed, sorry old bean!

rattymr2
12-06-2008, 12:47
so if you have tried to get your speedo working does that mean the beast is back on the road?

:driving:

Sponge Bob
23-06-2008, 17:05
Maybe.... :)

Just making sure I get no more alternator squeal... you know I had problems which resulted in getting 3 alternators - it turns out I wasn't tensioning them enough (they need to be uber tight!) - so need to just fabricate a nice tensioner to help me out!!!

I'm off all this week Mart, so if you fancy coming over - give me a shout!

chr15_84t3
23-06-2008, 18:14
if its cable driven it could be one of the cables, there is one from the gearbox to the middle of the car, just above the undertray, which connects to one from the middle of the car to the back of the dash. if its an import and cable driven, it could be the speedo converter (thats what went on mine, got a replacement from thor i think) it connects between the speedo cable and the top of the gearbox. if its that, its an easy fix, took me about 10mins even with my limited mechanical skills lol

TheGasMan
23-06-2008, 19:21
Ive got my MR2 in with Paul @ Woodsport now, its ready to pick up tomorrow actually..

He took it out for some Road testing today and after about 1 mile the Speedo died, apparently for me its a crucial problem as its gearbox / cog related.. lol not the most technical of folk when it comes to cars but for now Im going with GPS speed reading until I can get my hands on a Rev 3 gearbox with LSD :thumbsup:

OlberJ
23-06-2008, 19:53
Bob, we used a GT4 tensioner on Jack's car, if u can get one of them it should solve your problem for you.

Bolts straight on to the stock location as you'll already have the sillycar alt mount.

Garbe
23-06-2008, 22:20
I thought all MK1's use a cable drive, hence the rare as hens teeth mechanical senders.

OlberJ
23-06-2008, 22:36
They do Garbe, thass right.

rattymr2
23-06-2008, 23:14
Maybe.... :)

Just making sure I get no more alternator squeal... you know I had problems which resulted in getting 3 alternators - it turns out I wasn't tensioning them enough (they need to be uber tight!) - so need to just fabricate a nice tensioner to help me out!!!

I'm off all this week Mart, so if you fancy coming over - give me a shout!

typical. you get yours going and mines off the road! will see about popping over on weds eve.

Tom G
24-06-2008, 12:03
I thought all MK1's use a cable drive, hence the rare as hens teeth mechanical senders.

that's interesting, when I fit a rev 2 LSD gearbox to my mk1.5, will I need to swap over the mechanical sender from the rev1 box?

Sponge Bob
24-06-2008, 17:34
Bob, we used a GT4 tensioner on Jack's car, if u can get one of them it should solve your problem for you.

Bolts straight on to the stock location as you'll already have the sillycar alt mount.

Good call mate - will have a look to see if I can source one from a breakers...

Gandalf
24-06-2008, 17:40
My MKI speedo came undone at the tranny last summer, and the core fell out... all the way from the front. I should have just inserted a new core, but at the time i thought the speed sensor at the tranny had chewed off the end of the core... so i cut the cable to see how far up it broke off... and i kept cutting... eventually I was at the frunk! rotflmao

I put in a MKII speedo cable this time... cheaper... and if something happens again I can replace half of it... heh.

OlberJ
24-06-2008, 18:34
that's interesting, when I fit a rev 2 LSD gearbox to my mk1.5, will I need to swap over the mechanical sender from the rev1 box?

It's a doddle to do mate.