PDA

View Full Version : rear tie bars on mk1

robwsurf
08-06-2008, 14:51
just been doing the rear suspension on my mk1 the rear tie bars are a bit knackered bent and very rusty sothinking of replacing them seen some after market ones on twosrus but very pricy and think rose joints will wear out quickly

or should i get some second hand orginal ones, whats everyone else done with theres

nik
08-06-2008, 16:37
i would love to see someone making these in the uk..with the forthcoming geometry day at AFR Tuning i think we're all going to need some..

anyone..?

robwsurf
08-06-2008, 16:50
making some like the twosrus ones should be fairly easy just pricing them up at the mo to see if i can do it cheaper than twosrus, not sure on how long the rose joints would last though what does everyone think

nik
08-06-2008, 17:00
i dont think there should be any problems using rose joints mate..as long as spacers are used either side..

Paul Woods
08-06-2008, 17:17
thats basically the twosrus design,ive got some on my car,cracking bit of kit,its made with mk1 front track rod ends and an inner rose joint with a bar joining the two.... a diy version wouldnt be hard at all.

robwsurf
08-06-2008, 17:33
looks like i ll get some of them unless i can make some cheaper then, the rose joints are nt cheap about £35 each looking so far

millentubby
08-06-2008, 18:21
The Sbits ones are great - get the number for Peter Gidden from the twosrus site and deal with him direct.

Much better design than the OEM Toyota ones for sure!

sixafterfour
08-06-2008, 19:15
use the current one, clean up the rust? then temper it?
might be cheaper

robwsurf
08-06-2008, 19:31
rust is too bad where the new bush would go in vertually nothing left so either i weld some new tube on the end or replace them and the adjusters are stuck solid had oxycetalene on them for ages and no joy

Sponge Bob
09-06-2008, 00:23
Yeah... I need a new set of those, but the Twosrus ones seem mighty pricey...

millentubby
09-06-2008, 00:53
Yeah... I need a new set of those, but the Twosrus ones seem mighty pricey...

The way I looked at it was I could spend £100 on new inner ends as I'd knackered the old ones, then struggle for a day stripping the bits down and refitting well-used ball joints and be left with something that's designed badly and will rust up again in 6 months and give the alignment-guy more money to free them off...or spend £125 on nice new shiny bits that will resist the UK road conditions will be a doddle to adjust, and use front ball-joints that are considerably cheaper to replace when the time comes.

Rear ball joints are £45 a pop from toyota, and the inner bushes are £48 each. The centre tubes are £11 each.

I'm usually a fan of the ghetto-route...but these ones are really worth the extra initial outlay :)

Shugsta
10-06-2008, 18:57
The way I looked at it was I could spend £100 on new inner ends as I'd knackered the old ones, then struggle for a day stripping the bits down and refitting well-used ball joints and be left with something that's designed badly and will rust up again in 6 months and give the alignment-guy more money to free them off...or spend £125 on nice new shiny bits that will resist the UK road conditions will be a doddle to adjust, and use front ball-joints that are considerably cheaper to replace when the time comes.

Rear ball joints are £45 a pop from toyota, and the inner bushes are £48 each. The centre tubes are £11 each.

I'm usually a fan of the ghetto-route...but these ones are really worth the extra initial outlay :)

Colin, I must have picked you up wrong when we had a chat up at the farm last week. Didn't you say you used volvo ones?

millentubby
10-06-2008, 23:50
Yeah - droplinks mate.

This thread be talking about tie bars :D

Was good to see you the other day Hugh - and the mk1.5 is looking mint. That Eurosport kid looks the mutts nuts with the Plumley spoiler!

Shugsta
11-06-2008, 00:18
Yeah - droplinks mate.

This thread be talking about tie bars :D
D'oh :doh:with ye now gov lol .

Was good to see you the other day Hugh - and the mk1.5 is looking mint. That Eurosport kid looks the mutts nuts with the Plumley spoiler!
Cheers mate, it was good to see the V6 in the flesh and the sound is just stonkin'. You've gotta get those last bits done Colin, you know it makes sense :thumbsup:

I'm sure it was Twosrus ones that Paul recommended I get. XRAy's geometry definitely needs setting up since the tubby ARB was fitted. I think I'll bite the bullet and order them.

Marksman
11-06-2008, 00:25
D'oh :doh:I'm sure it was Twosrus ones that Paul recommended I get. XRAy's geometry definitely needs setting up since the tubby ARB was fitted. I think I'll bite the bullet and order them.

Have you placed the order yet Shugs?

I wasn't going to mention it yet but SWAT will be selling KBOX stuff so we could look at a group buy if a couple of people are interested? (Yes they're Two'srus kit but K-box also sell them so we should still be able to help.)

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/06/44.jpg

The same goes for any of the other K-box stuff.

clicky (http://www.kbox.ca/catalog/index.php?cPath=39)

Hope that helps,

Owen.

Shugsta
11-06-2008, 00:43
Haven't ordered yet Owen. Would be interested in a GB on these. Twosrus sell them for £125 delivered. They are $179 (£89.59 at current exchange rates) without delivery on KBOX. I'm sure the £35 difference would be more than eaten up with duty and postage so anything you can do better than that would be a Brucy Bonus. I'll hold off to see what you can offer on a GB mate. :thumbsup:

Marksman
11-06-2008, 00:47
Fairy snuff I'll drop them a mail tomorrow and see what we can do :thumbsup:

Owen.

Shugsta
11-06-2008, 00:50
:fingersx:

robwsurf
11-06-2008, 16:58
i deffinantly want so asap twosrus have sold out

Shugsta
18-06-2008, 20:13
Fairy snuff I'll drop them a mail tomorrow and see what we can do :thumbsup:

Owen.

Any progress Owen?

Stu
23-09-2008, 18:00
I'm interested in these,as mine are shot.

any progress swat guys?

Stu
03-04-2009, 08:43
Anyone still do these?

markiii
03-04-2009, 08:58
I've got some stock ones for sale if that helps

Stu
03-04-2009, 09:06
nice one,thanks for the offer,i might have to take you up on it,but i want to see if i can get some uprated ones sourced first.

Cheers

Stu.

Sponge Bob
03-04-2009, 17:13
How much are the stock ones MarkIII?

Stu
04-04-2009, 10:25
it looks like there back in stock at two's r us there £130 a pair:

http://www.twosrus.co.uk/shop/index.php/performance-parts/chassis/sbits-mk1-aw11-custom-rear-tie-bars.html

anyone know what the difference between the tie bars on a mk1a and b is?

probably going for these.

Jim-SR
04-04-2009, 10:39
i priced up making these a while back. the problem is that rose joints cost a fortune for good ones, and i refuse to use cheap ones. so they end up costing more for rose joints alone than you can buy the whole arms for from twosrus. for what they cost they are fairly good value. doing it DIY on one-offs is likely to cost more than you can simply buy them for, plus youve then got the efforts of designing and making them. personally il probably just buy whats readily available.

robwsurf
04-04-2009, 12:05
think the length of the shafts are different as the suspension mounts are in slightly different positions

markiii
05-04-2009, 22:12
How much are the stock ones MarkIII?

ytou can have them for £40 the pair if that helps, will give teh op first refusal though as it;s his thread lol

jimi
07-04-2009, 03:04
They are different lengths
1a = 384mm between mounting centres
1b = 336mm between mounting centres

What do you think of this ?

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/04/26.jpg

quantumtools
08-04-2009, 21:46
We make new ones for our car using the standard ends with a new centre part.

The look something similar to the above picture but with the standard rubber bush instead of the rose joint.

You also need to get the correct tap to rethread the tie rod end of the new tube.

have a go guys its easy and saves a bit of cash for more motor mods

NDR008
23-04-2009, 12:48
Can anyone confirm - are they £130 per pair or each?

Murf
23-04-2009, 13:42
Per pair. Ive got a set, awesome :)
You can just see one of them in this pic:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/41.jpg

NDR008
23-04-2009, 13:57
That puts things in a totally different perspective.
My rear rods are proper banana shape shot - had they still been in good nick - do these feel much better then stock ones?

monkeymax
23-04-2009, 15:59
There are also the ones from TwosRUs in the 'States. At the time I got mine, thanks to the £/$ rate, it was more cost effective to get them from over there. They're brutish things, very chunky. Similar in design to the UK one I believe. Except you gotta have imperial & metric spanners for them. :banghead:
Still:
http://www.borealis.me.uk/Cars/RedNA/WiM-Det.jpg

(when the car was having its wheel alignment done)
They aren't red as standard, by the way. That was my personal blinging action... lol
I can't tell you what difference they made over standards though, as I replaced all suspension & bushes at the same time (which has made a huge difference! lol )

Murf
23-04-2009, 19:29
Mine are the USA ones as well, when i got them they were a bargain thanks to the weak dollar.
My old ones were shot, one of them was banana shaped and the other was rusted solid. Didn't notice a difference as i did the bushes at the same time too, both mods made a huge improvement to the handling!

Gon
16-12-2011, 09:36
need to get some of these too.
My rear track rod ends are dead .... and they cost a fortune in Toyota ... cant seem to get them anywhere else :(
Is twosrus America the cheaper option at the moment ?

Cheers

Limeymk1
16-12-2011, 20:09
need to get some of these too.
My rear track rod ends are dead .... and they cost a fortune in Toyota ... cant seem to get them anywhere else :(
Is twosrus America the cheaper option at the moment ?

Cheers

I think they're the only option at the moment.

I'm not sure if Peter still sells them, his contact details are here if you want to give him a bell/email:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=885

Tommytank
16-12-2011, 20:34
Let me know how you get on, I'm needing a set too now :(

Gon
17-12-2011, 11:57
Hi. he has them both (mk1a and mk1b) in stock.... £125 per pair including delivery by courier.
Is it just me and Tommytank ? if there are more interested I could try and organize a group buy ???

let me know !!!
cheers

Limeymk1
17-12-2011, 16:40
Already got a pair. :icon_mrgreen:

Tommytank
17-12-2011, 16:52
Hi. he has them both (mk1a and mk1b) in stock.... £125 per pair including delivery by courier.
Is it just me and Tommytank ? if there are more interested I could try and organize a group buy ???

let me know !!!
cheers

Gon, i can hold off for a group buy if you can get enough folk interested...

Gon
18-12-2011, 12:16
In the meantime I have received some pictures of the SBITS tie rods

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/06/44.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/06/95.jpg

Tie bars are all stainless, and are full kits. Including new outer track rod ends, spherical inner bearings and spacers.

anybody else for a Group Buy ?

Diesel Meister
19-12-2011, 23:14
I need me some - can wait for GB as well.

Gon
20-12-2011, 22:02
I will create a topic in the GB section.
Got confirmation about discounts ....
1-5 sets £125/set
5-8 sets £115/set
9+ sets £107/set

These prices are including shipping, but I am not sure if this would be including shipping to one location and then I would have to ship them to you guys or if this includes individual shipping.....

I intend to create the topic just after xmas with a finish/order date being the 30/jan/2010 ....

what do you guys think ? are these timings ok ? are you in or the possible discount do not justify ?

let me know you opinion .....

Cheers

Tommytank
23-12-2011, 07:43
Looks good to me, count me in!