PDA

View Full Version : URGENT help needed

chris99
06-06-2008, 19:34
I have suffered a pretty terminal sounding and feeling clutch or gearbox failure. There was a grinding and banging that didnt stop when i put the clutch down. In neutral it still happened when the car was rolling. Parked the engine revs and sounds nice. The car is now locked solid and cant be moved at all. It just smells of burning clutch. What i need to know is how feasable it is to change the gearbox and clutch with the engine in situ.

Just for info this is Pete's car. He has had enough of the issues and i have taken ownership. The plan is to remove the good engine + gearbox from mine and put it into his nicer shell. I planned to do it in about two weeks but now the car is stuck outside my girlfriends house with the engine +gearbox at mine :violin: :doh: :violin:

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:

welsh_kroozer
06-06-2008, 21:30
what engine is it? v6 or 4 pot??? i done my clutch in situ on my 2ltr mk2 but i have never done 1 on a v6... but by the looks of things it would be about the same to do it on the v6,,,

petec
06-06-2008, 22:05
Oh Mate !!!! Better start looking for breakdown recovery :hidesbehi

Garbe
06-06-2008, 23:11
Its got to be do-able, you'll have to support the engine as the gearbox has three of the mounts.
I can see getting the gearbox back on may cause some difficulty, getting mine onto the engine with it out of the car was a pain, although I was doing it by myself.

Jiff Lemon
07-06-2008, 09:09
I'd have thought do-able in situ, but in terms of hassle, I'd probably go for dropping the extra bolt mount and remove the lot.
I'd say a nice bit of weekend work there :)

You sourced a box yet?

OlberJ
07-06-2008, 09:49
Have u got a hoist? If so, drop the whole thing a bit and do it on the floor, there's only 2 heater hoses, the rad pipes, the top pipes and the fuel lines and the wiring to undo.

You can do it just by jackin the car up anjd undoing the 2 torque mounts and the gearbox mount.

It's a bit of a bastard to get the box back on but if you get the dowels lined up you'll be laughin.

See it as an opportunity to put in the longer 5th gear :thumbsup:

chris99
07-06-2008, 11:40
See it as an opportunity to put in the longer 5th gear :thumbsup:

That was the plan but this is all a bit sooner than expected.:rant:

OlberJ
07-06-2008, 14:26
Aye, these things are sent to test us.