View Full Version : MK1 Sc to V6 swap, driveshafts question?

Barronmr
06-06-2008, 13:24
Hey everyone,

I've got a mk1 SC thats going V6, it will deffinately need a turbo box so what are the driveshaft options?

Are the SC hubs different from n/a hubs? Also are the SC driveshafts of any use to me or can I sell them?

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Marksman
06-06-2008, 17:35
Howdy.

SC hubs are the same as NA hubs so no problems there.

You can knock off the SC outer shafts and stick them on the end of the turbo shafts. However with the rarity of the SC shafts personally I'd sell the SC shafts complete and buy a set of new outer CV's. These will set you back about £85 (I think) and you should get much more than that for your shafts.

As the turbo box can have different inner stub dimensions I'd very much recommend getting the gearbox and shafts form the same donor car.

Hope that helps,

Owen.

Paul Woods
06-06-2008, 18:23
why will it definately need a turbo box luke?

Barronmr
06-06-2008, 19:44
why will it definately need a turbo box luke?

I bought Lyndon's 3vz project with the forged pistons, plans are to get rods that match and then SC or turbo depending on difficulty and cost.

I wonder how much boost a built 3vz can take? :hidesbehi

Paul Woods
06-06-2008, 19:47
ah i see..... quite a lot with the right cooling/fueling i bet

OlberJ
07-06-2008, 09:57
Hrrrrm :hmm: I'd be tempted to try out an n/a box with that and see how it goes. If it goes bang then get a tubby box.

i see you've crossed to the airy fairy place and it's going in a Mk2 Ratty :snooty: It'll be a straight swap if it does go.

Barronmr
07-06-2008, 10:52
Hrrrrm :hmm: I'd be tempted to try out an n/a box with that and see how it goes. If it goes bang then get a tubby box.

i see you've crossed to the airy fairy place and it's going in a Mk2 Ratty :snooty: It'll be a straight swap if it does go.

How very dare you, :hand:. This is a strictly mk1 SC tintop build, I'm just greedy and want both mk2 v6 and mk1 v6. And I wouldn't say no to a mk3 v6, hell I've got another engine kicking around lol.

If I do as you suggest will it not be a lot of messing around switching from a n/a to tubby g'box arrangement. :confused:

OlberJ
07-06-2008, 11:03
Oh sorry chief, i jus read you're bit next to your name. Git it sorted, it looks ugly up there lol

If you're putting it in a Mk1 then yes it's in a different place slightly (wierd that it's the same in a mk2 though, but it's just about clearance)

Go with the tubby box, it's gonna need the longer ratios anyways i reckon, jus ignore above.

If you're going S/C i'd go for an N/A box to keep that acceleration, it's gonna be scary.n If you're going turbo then get a tubby box, jus suits it better.

S/C is gonna be cheaper if you're aiming for mid 300's i'd reckon. If you're going for silly power, get a turbo as they're much easier to get bigger peak figures out of.

Johnny P.
08-07-2008, 04:04
Im running MK1 SC shafts with my turbo box, slide right in ( no lsd ). I personally would not screw around with the n/a box. I had one in my car for a very short period and the turbo box is better in every way. I also had to mess with the trans mounts when I switched to the "E" trans, you dont want to make those twice. If you have the old S/C trans you can use its guts for parts in your turbo trans, so thats a plus too. :thumbsup:

Paul Woods
08-07-2008, 07:18
how is it better johnny? interested in your viewpoint.

Johnny P.
09-07-2008, 21:25
Nice big parts inside, including a oil pump and external fittings.
It runs on 90W oil not that pink stuff for your econolines power steering.
Biggest input shaft of the bunch ( outputs bigger too, if I remember:hmm: )
You can get a factory lsd
I didnt measure the ring gear but its gotta be larger, its the lowest thing in the back of the car after the trans swap.

This last one I will need Woodsports input on but out of the three different transmission series that Ive had in this car, the turbo box is the only one that did not suffer from "shifter rock" in 5th gear. Keep in mind also my current box was abused for 150k miles in a turbo car before I got it. So that says quite a bit too.
I should have a " in car " video of my ride up soon.
Got my tach fixed for $40.00, no more 10 grand power shifts!

OlberJ
09-07-2008, 21:55
How and where did u get your Tacho fixed to work Mr P?

Any idea what they did?

Johnny P.
10-07-2008, 02:00
Its a shop in Bloomington Minnesota USA. APT insturments, they do tons of gauge resto/custom work ( including Smiths ) Required a couple resistors to be swapped out. I read how to do it on the net and proptly wrecked my tachs chipset. If you have a working tach its around $50.00 US to have it fixed for the V6. I would shoot them a e-mail or a call first but they are top notch fellas. (952) 881-7095 or email gaugeguys@qwestoffice.net:thumbsup:

Paul Woods
10-07-2008, 06:48
johnny i dont suppose theres any chance you can find out what they did or take a few pics of yours so we can duplicate that over here? us mk1 v6 boys dont have a working solution for the tach yet :(

by the way, whats "shifter rock" ? is that were the gear stick moves back n forth under acceleration? or some strange US music? :)

Johnny P.
10-07-2008, 20:58
Shifter rock is driving your little overpowered car in traffic double the posted listening to Ministry really loud while you row the box. Or its that movement worn 5th causes when you get on and off the go pedal.:driving: