PDA

View Full Version : what to do when the 4age is out.

sixafterfour
04-06-2008, 01:32
Alright guys, swaping in an 4age into my 86 with a dead motor.
What should i do?
clutch?
i bought a distributor rebuild kit.
i have a timing belt and a head gasket.

what should i do?
(4age to 4age swap)

sixafterfour
04-06-2008, 02:59
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/06/14.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/06/15.jpg

yawn. a long day.

Marksman
04-06-2008, 06:53
Looks like a productive one though :thumbsup:

As for what to change if it were me I'd do the clutch as it's so much easier with the engine out. To be honest if the headgasket is OK I'd probably leave it alone. In my opinion with a 4A it's easier and cheaper to swap in another engine than to do a decent gasket job. Others may disagree on that one. New water pump might be a plan and then belts and fluids of course. Distributer rebuild kit is a very good idea as they all seem to leak there. Cam cover seals and washers worth a change too.

Good luck with it,

Owen.

sixafterfour
04-06-2008, 08:37
oh, i forgot to mention, the silver one didnt run, it over heated way back and im not sure as where to go from here.
maybe i should pull of the head and see if its warped first.
i couldnt get it running before, mind you i only tried for about 30 mins.

OlberJ
04-06-2008, 08:44
Get it checked out, skim it if needs be, rebuild it with HG's and the timing belt end too.

Spend a bit of time painting cam covers and fannymoulds etc, it'll look so much better when it goes in and it's out infront of you in pieces so why not, eh?

Give the waterways a good flush and drop off the sump and check for bits and give it a clean, new oils etc and then plug it back in. Jet wash the bay if you're feelin like doin a top job.

Then sling it back in and haway you go.

OR

do a TB and put a V6 in the Hachi Roku. :thumbsup:

OlberJ
04-06-2008, 08:45
Oh hold on, you mean 1986 not AE86, ur V6in the other one.

Must read signatures in future. :doh:

sixafterfour
04-06-2008, 08:48
Ha i want to v6 it. but im unfortunatly on a budget right now!
im pricing it out but it still looking slim.

Goldy
04-06-2008, 13:12
Stand in the engine bay and take the obligatory photo? :)

OlberJ
04-06-2008, 18:27
Stand in the engine bay and take the obligatory photo? :)

lol :thumbsup:

sixafterfour
05-06-2008, 05:40
haha will do guys, tomorrow! camera battery is charging!

well tomorrow i do body work on the green mr2. and in the evening ill do a compression test on the silver mr2 engine. i need to "jump" the starter since everything is apart. I would have done it in the car, but the interior is completely stripped.

If i get compression i put in that engine. If i dont..... ill hack and slash a v6 in there on the cheap.

sixafterfour
10-06-2008, 08:07
Hey guys, need some help. how the hell can i "jump" the starter.
i connected to two terminals to the battery and nothing!
i am assuming the voltage is the same as the battery.
battery makes sparks.
any other way to check compression?? i tried a drill on the crank bolt but it doesnt have enough power and i dont have an impact gun.

Marksman
10-06-2008, 18:14
Hey guys, need some help. how the hell can i "jump" the starter.i connected to two terminals to the battery and nothing!

Same mistake I made a while back :blush: The starter actually has 3 contacts... The housing itself is the negative and grounds to the rest of the gearbox and onto the chassis.

So you want:-

(1) Your negative on the battery connected to the starter motor casing.

(2) The bigger electrical contact on the starter connected to the positive on the battery. (Nothing will happen at this stage.)

Then (3) you need to make brief contact between the positive and the smaller electrical contact on the starter.

This should engage the starter. If you just hear a loud click and nothing else then your starter solenoid is OK but the motor is buggered.

Hope that helps,

Owen.

sixafterfour
11-06-2008, 05:21
thanks! exactly what i needed!

bad compresssion results.
170 145 180 150

not bad i dont think.