PDA

View Full Version : Remote turbo systems... ive been inspired!

TbarTurbo
11-05-2008, 10:47
This is how the rear of my next mk1 needs to look...

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/C6%20Corvette/IMG_2176.jpg

V6 of course, and ive found another car now to do it with ;) cheers paff.

Soooo, how will all the extra weight under the boot, or more likely in the boot space, effect the mk1s handling? i need to look into scavenge pump systems for the oil, but physicly bolting it all together im sure ill be able to manage myself :D Pair of T25s maybe? or even T2's...

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 10:57
Was talking to MT about this yesterday, it's a definite possibility, V6 will be able to shift enough air to negate the distance thing.

Like that exhaust silencer setup (not the 4 central pipes), would certainly help with the space issues.

biteme
11-05-2008, 11:14
The problem with remote turbo's is keeping the air density and speed up. The turbo will run cooler - they are designed to run hot in thermal efficiency. If you keep it cooler, then it will cool down the gasses, which will then make it less dense, and then the velocity will drop.

Performance will be reduced and lag increased!

TbarTurbo
11-05-2008, 11:33
im not convinced it'll lag that much, the pipes arent going to be that long really due to the engine already in the back.

I think a proper sized pipe from both zorst manifolds, properly lagged, both boost sides of the turbo into a charge cooler in the boot then into the intake , probably single plenum, will keep the hot side hot enough, and the boost side could still be shorter than most other cars with there big front mounts...

i have a picture in my head... hard to put it on paper how im thinking of doing this...

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 14:10
Best way to do it would be go longditudinal with the Audi 80 box and you got plenty room either side for a turbo.

I'll still do that at some point, reckon it'd go in without cutting the front firewall too.

Goldy
11-05-2008, 15:30
The problem with remote turbo's is keeping the air density and speed up. The turbo will run cooler - they are designed to run hot in thermal efficiency. If you keep it cooler, then it will cool down the gasses, which will then make it less dense, and then the velocity will drop.

Performance will be reduced and lag increased!

You mean more dense? Colder air is denser than warm. :idea: ?

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 15:41
It's a balance, you don't want freezin cold air, it's just that turbos get so hot any cooling is normally seen as good.

As Johnny says, thermal Efficiency, it works best at a certain temp. not the coldest.

If it was -27*C then it wouldn't move at all.

TbarTurbo
11-05-2008, 16:16
Think jonny refering to the zorst gasses keeping hot... when they cool down they reduce efficiency. The bigger the difference between the hot side of turbo and cold boost side the better for power.

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 16:44
There's a post on here with Vids of a remote turbo setup that works rather well.

At the other end of the car.

I'll go look.

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 16:45
Fooookin, BINGO!

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=7490&highlight=remote+turbo

superchargedsam
11-05-2008, 17:25
remember watching that install last time round its aweseom dude! also think the americans have got it right as they normally work with wheel HP and flywheel HP as wheel figures are far more realistic and understandable than the made up flywheel figures we use over here. 100degree drop is not bad at all. Defo worth someone trying this idea out for sure.

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 21:05
Am right with you on the WHP Sam.

Can we make this a TB thing, seeing as we're not all about pub figures and only use actual Wheel Horse Power if quoting.

Means the BHP per tonne is what you're actually gettin.

biteme
11-05-2008, 21:07
Well, not all people can get WHP figure - so just reduce the figures by around 17% for a ballpark figure.

I want the the supra to be quoted in 4 figures (before the decimal point!). lol

Peebs
11-05-2008, 21:30
Wow, that remote turbo system from the states, really seems to work well, 190ish BHP at wheels ?...awesome. ...and our engines have MUCH shorter pipes, so in my opinion, no way we gotta worry about pressure loss, but certainly agreeing with those cooling puddle sloshes ! Had my doubt about this myself, but 190 is 190 !

TbarTurbo
11-05-2008, 21:36
I suppose theres nothing stopping you putting the turbo in the boot... im sure thats been done before...

biteme
11-05-2008, 21:39
190 at the wheels though, is only 228 flywheel? You can get that from an N/A if done properly?

biteme
11-05-2008, 21:40
I suppose theres nothing stopping you putting the turbo in the boot... im sure thats been done before...
Yep. Mrs Woods put that on Whoozy's.

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 21:42
190 at the wheels though, is only 228 flywheel? You can get that from an N/A if done properly?

A gain of 190 Johnny lol

Peebs
11-05-2008, 22:07
Ya jonny, 190 EXTRTA power matey, weee - you listening to the snow faries today ? hehe

biteme
11-05-2008, 22:19
I think I am lol ... doh!!