PDA

View Full Version : crank case breather????

wardie
22-04-2008, 17:29
hi all,

ive been looking into changing my intake pipes over to samco's, u know the score.. bit of bling, but also they are getting a bit cracked etc.. so i hae ordered all the bits, including a t piece and appropriate elbows so the idle control stuff will still work ok, but i was planning to just put a small filter onto the crank case breather inlet on the front bank, so as to not have to get another t piece, untill i got thinking... the breather gases get pushed back in under the manifold and back into the engine, and this would now be un metered air entering the engine.....

so, if i was to instead fit a catch can after the breather exit, and then just vent the fumes to air via another filter from the can, will this affect the flow of gases? ie will there now not be the correct suck and blow,(oh er) in the right directions around the crank case? im guessing its set up so that the inlet pipe forces air into case (when valve is open) and the manifold helps suck it out...

fitting a catch can is a future plan anyhow...

wardie
22-04-2008, 20:49
anyone?

OlberJ
22-04-2008, 20:51
Excuse me ignorance, but crank case breather, do you mean the one on the front cam cover?

We discussed this before and consesus is you could have a pipe and filter off of that no probs.

wardie
23-04-2008, 08:26
yeah thats the one.. ill search for the thread then and have a read..

OlberJ
23-04-2008, 18:42
Sorry Wardie, i meant when we were down at Woodsport before.

Because i had done the AFM mod on my V6 i was left without a hole for the pipe to front cam cover breather, asked Paul and he said a small filter would work fine on there.

:thumbsup:

wardie
23-04-2008, 20:08
ah... that'll explain the lack of results in my search....

im gonna go with the catch can idea, if i can find a non boy racer one that actually might mount up securely and have some decent hose fittings, and not cost the earth just cos its a little bit shiney!!

wardie
04-05-2008, 20:25
right did this little job yeaterday, and was very happy with the results, fitted a catch can, with the pipes from front and rear bank breathers leading into the can, and a hole drilled in the top with a small filter on it.. all seemed fine, but today after a bit of a drive i have discovered that the rocker gaskets seem to be leaking onto the exhausts, front and rear.. now it was leaking before a bit, but seems to have got worse.. and is spraying around a bit too as the oilo is all over really, although not so bad that the levl has really gone down.. i checked all the fittings, checked that the pipes were giving out a presure which they were, etc etc.. so i really dont understand what is causing the probs.. the oil appears to be coming from the outside edges of the rocker covers, not the intake manifold area, and esspecially around the rubber seal on the end of the rocker cover.. i dont understand wether the pressure could build that much when the system is really still about the same really... am i missing anything????!!

wardie
04-05-2008, 20:27
oh and the rocker cover being held down with those little rubber washers, whats that all about? surely it cant be torqued down enough..?? i see the book says 10nm or something, thats not much really is it...

millentubby
04-05-2008, 22:09
I've just fitted a rev3+ tubby catch-can to my v6. One more JDM part for the fanboi's to love :D

OlberJ
04-05-2008, 23:04
Wardie, the rubber washers help stop the cam cover nuts coming out from vibration.

Best bet would to be replace the washers and put some silicon at the corners of the cam covers, where they go up and over the dizzy cap blanking hole if you get what i mean?

The bits of the gaskets that are arched? Apparantly they don't quite seal right sometimes so a dodd of sillycoont will solve it.

wardie
04-05-2008, 23:10
whats wrong with loctite!!!dont see it being a great idea myself but i see where toyota were going now..

good to know its a common problem.. guess ill be taking it apart soon then to sort this out.. damn thing is doing my head in at the moment..

OlberJ
04-05-2008, 23:16
You could probably use loctite but the washers work well if they ain't brittle and cracked, sure they're el cheapo to replace.

wardie
04-05-2008, 23:18
might have a look at doing that, and belt and braces with loctite.. our uni race team is sponsered by them so we have barrels of it around...

Paul Woods
05-05-2008, 07:01
wardie from 6 months ago we have started sealing the cam covers down as well as using new gaskets as it appears to be a common problem with the cam covers leaking.... run a bead of silicon around the gasket face and it will stop,providing your new breather system isnt causing a restriction of any sort?

wardie
05-05-2008, 23:13
cool will do that then.. and no i took all the catch can stuff off yesterday and checked it all over again.. ran it up to make sure there was gas coming out of pipe work and checked the can over too.. so unless the pcv is staying closed under some conditions should be fine, i had some leaking before i put it in so im sure its just a coinsidence i will check the pcv when the covers off..

wardie
11-05-2008, 19:39
right both cam covers have been off today and had some loctite gasket applied, the little rubber grommets off and the bolts torqued down to 20Nm with loctite red on the threads... if it leaks now im gonna screw...

tried torquing the bolts down to 22Nm but apparently they dont like that!!!
( 1 x new rocker bolt intalled)

still smoking but less and im just hoping thats just the residual oil as it was EVERYWHERE under there, jet was in the week me thinks...

will let u know...!

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 20:00
Don't jet wash your engine, you'll cause no end of problems.

Steam cleaning or good old elbow grease is the only way to do it.

wardie
11-05-2008, 20:07
well fair one...

ill re phrase it...

de greaser and elbow grease in the week me thinks...:thumbsup:

Garbe
11-05-2008, 20:08
Keep us updated, as I checked mine about a month ago and had to tighten them up. deffo need a good reliable solution for the cam covers.

wardie
11-05-2008, 20:15
will do mate, sure this should be the answer, just wanna give it a while to all cure properly and bed in and have chance to all go wrong again.. can wait to take it apart again!

i used loctite 598 info on it here (http://www.loctite.co.uk/int_henkel/loctite_uk/index.cfm?layout=6&productline=598&disp_language=en)

wardie
17-05-2008, 18:17
well all was well, all leaks stopped, and all was well, but had smoke again after a long, spirited drive today, so looks like it might be coming apart again!! and its the rear bank again, the front is all fine and no leaks at all, so ill just have to investigate again and see whats going on now..

wardie
20-05-2008, 21:43
this is what i did with the crank case breather, oh and the smoke has stopped again....:freak3:

http://forums.twobrutal.com/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1416

http://forums.twobrutal.com/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1417

welsh_kroozer
21-05-2008, 00:40
just read a post on the pink place about cheap catch cans causing a lot of trouble because the pipes going into the can are 15mm but the fittings are only 4mm which was causing build up or pressure resulting in oil leaks from cam covers, turbo oil seals and burst oil pipes...

im making sure that i buy a 15mm cusco catch can for my swap :)

wardie
21-05-2008, 10:55
mine has 15mm fittings! Made sure of it! Lol.