PDA

View Full Version : Pushing Pistons back

jimgreen
21-04-2008, 21:53
I'm having a right mare trying to push my pistons back in for my new pads.....

So the calliper is swinging about, so nothing to push against... I've tried undoing the bleed nipple and they went in a little but there must be a trick to doing this.

Care to share ?

black_mk1
21-04-2008, 21:57
Are they fronts or rears?

If you don't have a wind back tool or g-clamp, bolt them back onto the hub and use a lever against the disc.

Rears need to be rotated as they are pushed back in I think..........

jimgreen
21-04-2008, 22:08
Front. G-Clamp. I'm such a flippin tool. Why didn't I think of that.

Garbe
21-04-2008, 23:50
I bought a wind back tool for about £15 from halfrauds.

Good for winding the rears in and I use it to press the fronts in. Best £15 I spent.

BSM
22-04-2008, 00:00
Being the hamfisted technician that I am i just use a pry bar between the old pad and caliper, gently of course.

weegaz22
22-04-2008, 00:09
I bought a wind back tool for about £15 from halfrauds.

Good for winding the rears in and I use it to press the fronts in. Best £15 I spent.

i used a G-clamp and waterpump pliers to do wind in rears, takes a couple mins longer, but cheaper than buying a wind back tool

jimgreen
22-04-2008, 19:26
Thanks guys, was a piece of pee with a g-clamp.

I can see this new policy of mine being embarrassing. I've told myself I should come and cool down when I get stressed with the car, I always end up breaking things otherwise.

millentubby
22-04-2008, 19:39
Dont forget to empty a little out the reservoir else it may overflow when you push the fluid back. ;)

Suddenly thought about this whilst in bed last night after chatting to Jim on MSN and just came to post up....should really be working :thumbsup:

OlberJ
22-04-2008, 19:54
I can see this new policy of mine being embarrassing. I've told myself I should come and cool down when I get stressed with the car, I always end up breaking things otherwise.

I used to get like that with cars, thankfully it's well passed.

Now i just get frustrated when my fingers are too fat to hold pins while i try and hammer them into bloody flooring beading.

Oversized hammer and fat fingers, was like doing it with boxing gloves on.

Think the key is, always get the right tool for the job.

And yes, that tool is usually Woodsy. lol

superchargedsam
24-04-2008, 09:43
think every Mk1 owner should have a caliper wind back tool as essential part of the MK1 tool kit as the brakes often need work especially the rears and a decent wind back tool saves time and knuckles and a decent investment.