View Full Version : Failed to get my car running

Gary Symons
13-04-2008, 14:19
Today was the day that I was planning on getting the mk1.5 back on the road. It has been stood for months so is badly in need of a run out. I recharged the battery as it was dead, the problem is now that both of the battery terminals are stuffed >:[ They both just fell apart in my hands.

Maybe I will run it next week if I can get hold of some new terminals.

On a seperate note my focus has always ran a bit lumpy on occation at low revs, today I have noticed a noise from the engine bay, traced it to the cambelt cover. I whipped the engine mount and covers off only to discover that the tensioner is not even touching the belt. Looks like a proper cowboy job as tensioner wasnt properly located either.

I have driven thousands of miles in this car! New cambelt next week I think.

TbarTurbo
13-04-2008, 17:22
You better hurry up and get it running, when mines on the road there wont be room for another black mk1... :D
Careful with the cambelt job, iirc they dont have woodruff keys on any of the pulleys, and you'll need the locking tools. I had a few issues with the first one i ever did.

Gary Symons
13-04-2008, 17:45
You better hurry up and get it running, when mines on the road there wont be room for another black mk1... :D
Careful with the cambelt job, iirc they dont have woodruff keys on any of the pulleys, and you'll need the locking tools. I had a few issues with the first one i ever did.

Yep, done zetecs before, you can use a correcly sized piece of gauge plate to lock the cams in the right place. I didnt actually take the belt off, just had to hold it in place while i sorted out the tensioner.

It will get checked over properly next week but its running fine now.