PDA

View Full Version : removing NA engine n box and replacing with turbo, help pls!:P

TbarTurbo
05-04-2008, 12:14
As above, found a doner mk2 for my NA parts needed on my mk1v6, but the guys going to be fitting a turbo to it.

He has both complete cars NA with shot engine, I just need a quick idea of whats involved to remove both engines and refit the turbo engine and box, and expected time it will take, working without a hoist possibly.

Anything important i should be aware of with regards to wiring etc incase i end up helping finish the conversion too would be good.

Thanks a lot, tom.

OlberJ
05-04-2008, 12:29
Mk2 N/A to tubby swap will be easy, unless you've got no hoist lol

Seriousoly, rent one for the day, it's cheap and it'll make things soooo much easier as u know Tom.

Unless the torque mounts are in different places on the chassis? :hmm:

Garbe
05-04-2008, 12:30
How are you planning on dropping and then lifting the engine into the bay?

Garbe
05-04-2008, 12:31
Unless the torque mounts are in different places on the chassis? :hmm:

All mounts are in the same position.

OlberJ
05-04-2008, 12:35
How come it's a different jig for the tubby and N/A box?

Jiff brought this up before in the 1.5 jig request thread. If they both fit in a Mk2, why don't they both fit with the same jig in a mk1?

Am not doubting you here Garbe, i know you're right. Just wondering why there's 2 jigs?

Is it just height that changes?

TbarTurbo
05-04-2008, 12:50
Garbe i may still need your shafts, just been offered another load of bits already off but unsure of shafts being there, but will save me the time and effort to remove the bits myself... pm a price please?! i havent a clue...

Id have a hoist/jacks/stands/hacksaw/makita :D

OlberJ
05-04-2008, 12:59
How are you planning on dropping and then lifting the engine into the bay?

We put my 2nd Mi16 into my 205 with 2 jacks and a big bit o' rope.

Went in alright so it did. only took us 2 hours of shufflin, proppin, jackin and swearin. lol

TbarTurbo
05-04-2008, 13:13
was discussing the mi16 conversion the other day and comparing to mk1.6... no comparison really! mi16 is a weekend job when you get fed up with crappy idle speed changing and big puddles makeing the car cut out! ive always put the mi16 in from the top with a crane and a leveller bar ;)