PDA

View Full Version : V6 Swap Into a non-MR2 car

schumacher
05-04-2008, 05:10
Hey chaps,

I know, I know. It's probably a huge sin to post up anything regarding non-MR2 vehicles, but bear with me. I've been a long time lurker on your forums and I finally gathered up my courage to post a topic regarding a potential swap. I have been researching in various other forums such as 6thgencelica.org and mr2.com, and the topic on the MK3 MR2 V6 swap caught my attention.

You see, I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic, and live in a cold, frigid country called Canada. I drive a 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS with the 2ZZ-GE and C60 transmission, and I'm wondering if it'll be feasible to swap the 2ZZ-GE out for either 3VZ-FE or 3MZ-FE. So far I gathered up that probably all the motor mounts will need to be re-located and/or fabricated, and I would need to use the MK1 or MK2 non-turbo transmission (S54) mated to the V6 engine. The stock driveshafts will fit the transmission, as proven in loadswine's swap. That takes care of some of the problems presented, but my biggest issue lies with whether or not the V6 will fit inside the engine bay without having to cut the firewall.

I think I'm going to need some measurements of the V6 engine, I already looked at the measurement of the V8 1UZ-FE engine, and it seems that it is a bit too wide (from the front head covers to the back cylinder head covers), does anyone have measurements of the V6 engines in hand? Looking at the MR2 engine bays, the MK3 engine bay looks to be about the same dimensions as my Corolla's, but I can't be sure. Another complicating matter is the fact that my radiator fan and the coolant reservoirs stick out into the engine bay, thereby taking up useful space. The MR2's don't have this problem because the radiators are up front, separate from the engine bay.

I would appreciate any input, so please feel free to contribute.

P.S. Paul, I sent you a PM about a week ago but it seems you're too busy nowadays. I would love to get a response from you.

Marksman
05-04-2008, 08:27
Don't worry about the non MR2 content for now, it's a Toyota at least :thumbsup:

Well I've seen a Corolla with a 3SGTE sort of fitted so there's certainly hope!

Anyone got any measurements to hand chaps?

Owen.

loadswine
05-04-2008, 11:34
I'm pretty sure that Paul said the 3VZ-FE with NA boxwas only a an inch or so longer than the 1zz plus transmission on my swap, I think there are pictures showing this in the early stages of the swap.
Now given that the 2zz block is roughly the same as the 1zz in length and the transmission will be very similar to the 6 speed casing I had originally. I think that if you check the gaps showing between the edges of the engine compartment and the engine /box on yours and then look at the pics of mine, that should give you a fair idea of whether it will fit, withpout any hard figures.
Paul might well have some numbers to add in as well though.
I thought the Corolla engine bay was a bit bigger than the Mk3 MR2, as the Corolla will accept the supercharger without any additional surgery , but the guys in the states have had to cut firewalls out to get the same charger to fit their Spyders ( MR2s).

OlberJ
05-04-2008, 12:00
Is this gonna be FWD?

Jiff Lemon
05-04-2008, 15:52
Well, I'm fairly sure I've seen Mk2 engine bay sizes knocking around in here somewhere.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/53.jpg

any use? if your bay is a similar size, you're away

schumacher
15-04-2008, 18:28
Thanks for the diagram! I finally got a chance to measure my engine bay today after a hell week of final examinations, and from front to back it is 720 mm (if the humongous radiator fan is removed and replaced with a slimmer one) and the width from the passenger side frame to the driver side frame is 870 mm, would that be wide enough for a V6 to fit in?

And yes, this is going to be FWD.

schumacher
15-04-2008, 18:44
I'm pretty sure that Paul said the 3VZ-FE with NA boxwas only a an inch or so longer than the 1zz plus transmission on my swap, I think there are pictures showing this in the early stages of the swap.
Now given that the 2zz block is roughly the same as the 1zz in length and the transmission will be very similar to the 6 speed casing I had originally. I think that if you check the gaps showing between the edges of the engine compartment and the engine /box on yours and then look at the pics of mine, that should give you a fair idea of whether it will fit, withpout any hard figures.
Paul might well have some numbers to add in as well though.
I thought the Corolla engine bay was a bit bigger than the Mk3 MR2, as the Corolla will accept the supercharger without any additional surgery , but the guys in the states have had to cut firewalls out to get the same charger to fit their Spyders ( MR2s).

I updated the measurements on the Corolla engine bay, but I think the supercharger issue has to do with the fact that the intake manifold on the MK3 MR2 faces the front of the car and hence the front firewall. In the Corolla, intake manifold faces the front and there are no firewall in the front to cause an issue.

schumacher
17-04-2008, 17:51
anyone?

loadswine
17-04-2008, 21:17
I think you could be right with the orientation of the engine in the Corrolla and the SC issue.
Have you had a good look at the pics in the early stages of my swap?
In the Mk3, the pulley to tower clearance is very similar for 1ZZ and the V6.
The gearbox end is just a touch closer to the tower than before. I will need to get under my car on Saturday and I might be able to get some measurements if you like.

schumacher
18-04-2008, 21:33
Thank you very much loadswine, if you could, I'll need the measurement of the engine bay from front firewall to the rear firewall, but then I guess Paul chopped off your rear firewall.. hmm... well then I guess I'll need the measurement of the actual engine and the transmission. Would you be able to measure the length of the engine + transmission at the longest point (probably from the alternator to the end of the transmission) and the width of the engine at the widest point (probably from the front header to the back header) I would very much appreciate it!

schumacher
18-04-2008, 21:34
Oh and to add, I did have a good look at all of your pictures that Paul posted up. I have an idea that it will fit without too much fuss, but then I don't know if the engine bay dimensions are the same between the MK3 MR2 and the Corolla.