PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding fed up

Tom G
03-04-2008, 22:36
How do i get the air out of my system?!?!

It never used to be a problem with the 4AGE, I'd just follow the normal procedure and then fine. Even without opening the engine air bleed.

Currently it appears full, car warmed up, blowing hot air, needle cold.

My procedure has been as follows:
1. make sure rad and heater bleed hose have level fluid
2. run at fast idle with cap on 1 click
3. watch some coolant dribble out the filler
4. switch off, wait for coolant to bubble down a bit
5. top up a bit
repeat steps 2 to 5 one miillion times, temp needle may flicker if i'm lucky :blowup:

I've tried the above with the engine lowest and the engine highest (i have a wonky drive).
Maybe I need to empty the system and refill?

Marksman
03-04-2008, 22:38
If you're able to blow hot air I wonder if your gauge / wiring is duff?

O.S.

TbarTurbo
03-04-2008, 22:40
Have you checked the temp sender isnt faulty? is there any air bubbles in the filler when running it upto temp?

Theres another hose bleed point on the thermostat housing, have you opened this too?

Just perceiver, mine was fine for ages then ended up blowing every bit of the water system bit by bit and replacing it!

Id suggest keeping the engine at the highest point on the drive.

Joshstix
04-04-2008, 03:16
When I do mine I jack up the back of the car about a foot off teh ground and then attach a soft drink bottle with the arse cut out of it to the hose for the coolant filler. Fill the bottle with coolant so you have the system full with some head pressure as well then run the engine until it gets up to temp. system sorted.

Tom G
04-04-2008, 09:05
Thanks for your replies, the sender's fine, actually the needle's always been bouncy during warm up and I'm also getting frothy evidence of air.
I'll give jostix's idea a try :fingersx:

Tom G
05-04-2008, 07:15
good tip joshtix, I used a tight fitting funnel and kept it topped up during warm up and cool down, I could rev it etc withouT losing coolant, now it's all sorted :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :dance: