PDA

View Full Version : block mating face damage?

TbarTurbo
30-03-2008, 15:30
Posted in my project thread but just want reassuring about this...
The slight corrosion on the block im not too worried about, ive seen worse, but theres a protrusion from the block face into the headgasket, well ive lightly scraped the block face and thats what it looks like. So do i just rub it flat with emery paper when i clean it properly, or will it need refacing at a machine shop?

The head faces look spot on with no corrosion that i can see after a light clean up.

This H/G was caused by Ollie's bad driving :D

http://forums.twobrutal.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1358
http://forums.twobrutal.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1357

Thanx, tom.

Paul Woods
30-03-2008, 16:24
you can get away with filling any slightly corroded pits with chemical metal,sand it flat with a block and use hermatite around the bores when you fit the new gaskets,it should be fine.

TbarTurbo
30-03-2008, 17:29
i was more concerned with the bit protruding from the block, ive never seen that before, could this have been an attempt at welding up or chemical metal before?

Are you confident that chemical metal will work and not just flake out under heat? what color hermatite do i need to use, never used this on anything other then k series or novas before :S

Paul Woods
30-03-2008, 17:31
its ok used in moderation,obviously if the block has severe pitting or even an open channel between bore to water jacket then it needs machining flat..... but you cant take v6 blocks down very far at all or the centre plenum wont bolt back on lol

red hermatite is what we use sometimes.

TbarTurbo
30-03-2008, 17:41
theres no open channels thats for sure, ah well ill just have to clean it up next week and see how it looks.

bburn13
31-03-2008, 00:04
Tom,
Sorry to go off subjest, BUT
like the new avatar.

Dave

Charged
31-03-2008, 11:47
This H/G was caused by Ollie's bad driving :D

That was my brother.. he ruins everything!

TbarTurbo
31-03-2008, 20:05
Tom,
Sorry to go off subjest, BUT
like the new avatar.

Dave

Apparently some ppl on here do not and i was asked to remove it :ghey:

Paff
31-03-2008, 21:56
Apparently some ppl on here do not and i was asked to remove it :ghey:

bah humbug.

I thought it was good :)

OlberJ
31-03-2008, 22:25
I should really switch my avatars back on, it's hard to hide it in work with them on though.

Tom G
01-04-2008, 12:31
It was no worse ( or better :) ) than Limey's IMHO