View Full Version : Ireland's 1st MR2 V6 Swap...

MOG7
27-03-2008, 13:59
Well i had the car up for sale last week, a rev1 n/a t-bar, and a lad coming this Friday to look at it a bit closer. The oil seals are gone so i was gettin rid of it cheap.

Over the last two days i have been talking to Paff and somehow he has talked me into keeping it and doing a V6 Swap,i am waiting on Paul to come back to me to with a price on getting a V6 and other pieces needed...

The car is going into the garage next week and engine will be taken out and engine bay cleaned, i have never done anything like this before so it will be a very sharp learning curve for me and i will probably wreck your heads looking for advice.

Talk to you all soon
Mark

Paff
27-03-2008, 14:08
Welcome Mark. 2 Days to convert. I'm doing well here.

Ask for all the help you need. This lot are a knowledgeable bunch and will help every step of the way.
either that or johnny will take the piss out of whatever you say and Owen will take the piss out of the mk2 but its all in the name of fun. Don't take anything to serious and you'll be fine.

Looking forward to the build thread now :)

Marksman
27-03-2008, 16:26
Welcome Mark :thumbsup:

As Paff said don't be shy asking for advice here. Most of us had no mechanical knowledge before doing the swap. It's just a case of researching each small chunk of the swap before doing it. One day all the little chunks ore done and hey presto there's a MR2 V6 in front of you. Just don't expect it to happen overnight.

Oh, I've abstained from taking the piss out of Johnny and am even beginning to see the attraction of a MK2 so someone else can take up that mantle now.

Owen.

millentubby
27-03-2008, 16:58

As Paff said don't be shy asking for advice here. Most of us had no mechanical knowledge before doing the swap. It's just a case of researching each small chunk of the swap before doing it. One day all the little chunks ore done and hey presto there's a MR2 V6 in front of you. Just don't expect it to happen overnight.

Exactamundo!

EXACTAMUNDO!

Get stuck in fella - I still have no idea what I'm doing :thumbsup:

nik
27-03-2008, 18:35

Oh, I've abstained from taking the piss out of Johnny and am even beginning to see the attraction of a MK2 so someone else can take up that mantle now.

Owen.

SPLITTER..!!!!!

oh and :welcome: Mark..:thumbsup:

EarL
27-03-2008, 18:46
...and am even beginning to see the attraction of a MK2
...without taking things out of context here...

:eek2:

Paff
27-03-2008, 18:49
Actually me and owen were chatting about mk2 V6's the other night, altho we did come to the conclusion the engines could always be taken back out and put in mk1's afterwards

weegaz22
27-03-2008, 18:56
...without taking things out of context here...

:eek2:

the mk2 isnt a bad car really, i had one for about a year, it doesnt relay steering or suspension feedback as well as the mk1, but it is 300kg or so heavier.. so go figure, i would say its a better everyday car though, but for fun the mk1 beats it hands down

snowtigger
28-03-2008, 00:12
hmm light powerfull mid engine a bit rusty brakes need a dam good fettling mk1, over a heavy not very comunicateve handling non rusty well some are mk2?.

SlipSlide
28-03-2008, 08:21
Good on you Mark:thumbsup: If you need any help with anything give me a call will gladly help you out. And you have bet me to it to be the first in Ireland, fair play to you. Oh and I class helping as any heavy manual work not fiddley little things like Mk 1's or wiring.
I think Iblis is doing a conversion at the minute as well but he is living in London now so your still going to be the first in Ireland.

I shall now go and shed some tears into my tea.:cry:

Everything is up in the air with my build, I am still trying to buy the garage with the house attached so no funds spare and herself has only gone and got pregnant on me as well, due in October and the v6 may well have to wait till after that, but we will see what time will bring.

Good luck and I would love to witness the progress on this, give me a shout and I will drop down and have a looksee.

MOG7
28-03-2008, 09:23
lol well congrat i guess Ray! You seemed thrilled lol...

I have to say this morning with the massive hangover the last thing i want to do is go near a car or engine, i even had to cycle to work so i'm smelly, tired, sick and not in the mood for work today... I'm not even in the mood for the long awaited GT5...

But cheers Ray i was hoping someone would offer to do some heavy lifting as working is not my strong point :D I'm sure i'll take you up on the offer soon.

I just had a look in the garage and it looks like i'll be in for a big job next week trying to clean that out!..

As Owen says i hope to just take it one chunk at a time and get there in time and learn a hell of a lot, or as like Colin and pretend to learn some things lol...

Cheers for all the welcomes!

SlipSlide
28-03-2008, 09:48
I was only kidding with the tone of my last post, I am friggin delighted with the pending arrival.

Whats the story on insurance have you got any quotes yet.

Oh, and I should have access to engine cranes etc if needed and have the jeep for engine transport etc if required. I thought you were getting the job done by somebody not yourself so any help you need, any time I will do. I also have my mate who is a Toyota Guru who will help when we get to the wiring if there is any difficulty's.

Its been a while since I got my hands dirty on engine work.

OlberJ
28-03-2008, 09:59
Hmmm, you'd have thought Woodsy would have taken at least one home by now.

MOG7
28-03-2008, 10:28
Ye wiring is the part i'm not looking forward to, i hope if i take it one chunk at a time i will get through it all with a lot of help.

I haven't got any quotes yet but i think i'll just worry about that when its all finished, if i need to sell it or use it as a track car i'd still be happy, i want to learn a bit and get my hands dirty :D

I think i'll have to buy a Camry from England as i have searched a bit here and can't find a thing, there 500'ish quid so it ain't too bad...

Paff
28-03-2008, 10:41
Cool, local help for you as well.

you won't belive how nice it is to have help while doing the job. Makes it more comforting to hear another person swearing as well :)

sure it'll all go well tho mate :)

Matt seems to be ignoring my comments to get his done as well

MOG7
28-03-2008, 10:47
lol i like his style, how come i couldn't just ignore you!

Ye and thankfully i think Ray might have a slightly better idea of what he is doing, i know a good few people who can help and if i offer some free beer i'm sure they will :D

I just can't wait to clear the garage and start getting dirty...

SlipSlide
28-03-2008, 11:27
Don't know about having a better idea of what to do, but swearing is my speciality, free beer is also a great idea the only bit thats worrying me is the

"start getting dirty..."

I hope we are just swapping engines ??

MOG7
28-03-2008, 11:41
Damn i thought i'd be the one doing the swearing. lol ye Ray we're just swapping engines nothing else! :D

Paff
28-03-2008, 12:50
Don't worry mark, one day he will come down to visit me at SWAT again and I'll keep pursuading him in person. could even start unbolting bits off his engine and see how long he takes to notice and give up :)

Last time he came down I got to take an angle grinder to his car, which was fun :)

MOG7
28-03-2008, 12:52
lol, has he still got the mkI or did he get rid of it for his mkII?

Paff
28-03-2008, 12:54
got rid of it for the mk2, and it was the mk2 I got to attack with the grinder :)

So satisfying

MOG7
28-03-2008, 13:01
When i'm all done i'll have to meet ya at some meet or event, i think i owe you a pint. I'm very excited now to just get started now...

Paff
28-03-2008, 13:06
Sounds good to me mate, TB meets\events are always fun :)

Altho I don't think you owe me a pint, the satisfation comes in converting someone to build a V6, however I'm not one to refuse a pint if its offered :)

I can imagine you are excited, its a nice challenge to put yourself through and you most certainly learn a great deal while ripping your car to peices, everyone should be made to do it at some point.

MOG7
28-03-2008, 13:11
Ye i've always wanted to do something like this and now that my na engine is almost a goner i figure i might aswell go for it... But i am going to miss driving the 2 for a few months, damn Nissan Almeras are just no fun at all lol

OlberJ
28-03-2008, 13:13
Ach it's a Mk2, as long as the engine is ready to go it'll no take you too long.

biteme
28-03-2008, 13:14
Ach it's a Mk2, as long as the engine is ready to go it'll no take you too long.

How long has yours taken now Ollie?

OlberJ
28-03-2008, 13:19
Haven't even started the Mk2, roon ye.

Paff
28-03-2008, 13:39
Tis ok, I'd rather be driving an Almera than my current daily......

a 1250 Fiesta. oooh the power. :)

spose at least I've got the bike for some fun.....

Oh yeah, forgot the mot runs out tomorrow, bugger :(

Still it'll all be worth it in the end :)

MOG7
28-03-2008, 14:34
lol i had to cycle to work this morning, i didn't get home after being on the beer last night, i kept looking for mirrors on the bike to see what was behind me, i'm not used to turning my head to see whats there lol...

MOG7
28-03-2008, 14:39
I've heard a few people refer to Pauls guide for the swap, any link as i can't find the little bugger!

OlberJ
28-03-2008, 14:44
Front page buddy, top left menu.

MOG7
28-03-2008, 14:47
i must be blind because i can't see it...

MOG7
28-03-2008, 14:53
Ah ha i found it :D Some reading for me...

MOG7
28-03-2008, 15:23
There isn't a how to on the mkII :(

OlberJ
28-03-2008, 15:31
That's cos it's just a bolt in mod.

Don't have to cut or weld anything except the ehxaust.

Read the Mk1 swap, it's the same idea minus all the hassle bits.

MOG7
28-03-2008, 15:35
lol i like the sound of that :D Cheers, i'll read it tonight in between GT5, i'm a busy man ya know...

Paff
28-03-2008, 15:53
No idea where the mk2 one is. altho I know the wiring guide is in the downloads section so gotta be somewhere.

Fairly straightforward for a mk2 I belive tho, am sure one of the guys who has done the mk2 swap themselves will be able to point you in the right direction for the guide

Paff
28-03-2008, 15:56
Olber speaks the truth.

Mk2, modify flywheel, same as for a mk1 swap.
Bolt together.
Get adapted mount for engine, all gearbox ones are the same.
Put engine in place.
Do plumbing and wiring.
Adapt exhaust to use standard mk2 back box mountings so its just buy what exhaust you want
turn key :)

I should have bought a mk2 :)

MOG7
28-03-2008, 16:02
Sounds easy it will be ready next week if its that easy? Sadly i need to buy a v6, which is looking like its going to be a trip to England involved there, take out that engine and other bits needed and get the head gasket done...

Paff
28-03-2008, 16:11
You looking to buy a complete camry and drive it back or get the engine out over here?

Might be able to sort something out for you if you bought one, wanted it stripped, engine and associated bits palleted etc and sent across to you so you can fettle/do what you want to the engine.

MOG7
28-03-2008, 16:43
I was going to buy and drive it back but your way sounds a lot better, i will hopefully be able to afford the engine by the end of next month and by that stage i should have the na out, i'd better have it out!

I'd be able to pay ya if you did that for me but we'll talk about it more closer the date, cheers mate...

Paff
28-03-2008, 16:50
No probs mate.

Whichever method works out best. Certainly worth getting all options looked into.

MOG7
29-03-2008, 09:45
62 pages out of 91 of the mkI build guide read, seems like a lot of the work so far is because its a mkI.

Just a couple questions i need to clarify but i think i already know the answer. A mr2 turbo clutch and gearbox were used in the mkI, am i right in thinking i can use my n/a clutch and gearbox?

MOG7
29-03-2008, 09:46
Ye cheers Paff, i'm keeping an eye out for any v6's i see, if you see or hear of any over the next few weeks give me a shout...

OlberJ
29-03-2008, 09:49
Yep, you can use the n/A box and shafts, they'll obviously fit your hubs as is and bolt right up to the V6. You just need to sort and engine side mount and that's it in there.

MOG7
29-03-2008, 10:24
I do need to use Turbo hubs though is that correct? Thats what the right up says anyways...

I just seen your garage Olber in your thread, looks very clean, i will have a bigger space but the ammount of rubbish in it, i'll take before and after pics of it...

OlberJ
29-03-2008, 10:35
If it's an N/A Mk2 you've got just now, you're keeping the whole drivetrain from that, shafts, gearbox the lot.

All you need is to get your flywheel modded so it'll fit the V6 (see Tony 4V6) and an engine mount from Tone aswell if he has any left.

You're reusing the Mk2 gearbox mount and the 2 torque mounts and the V6 simply goes in the hole where the 3S used to be.

Then it's just a case of plumbing and wiring and welding in an exhaust.

That's it, Ghetto as fook. Won't take long if you do it like that.

If you do it like most of the people on here then you'll be cleaning, replacing worn parts and painting the bay etc, have it looking proper bo as they say.

*EDIT* Not most of the people on here, ALL of the people on here.

This will take you longer as it's all the little bits that take up so much time but the end result is far better.

MOG7
29-03-2008, 10:47
Ah very handy then, i don't think i'd fancy doing a mkI conversion myself though, damn that looks like a lot of work!

Bay is going to be black i think, as the car is going for a colour change when its finished, to black or blue, not sure, could be yellow or stay red.... or white...

Anyway back to read the last few pages before i watch Celtic **** *** ****! :)

OlberJ
29-03-2008, 10:51
Bigotry isn't condoned on here and we'd like to keep it fitba free.

:mrgreen: Hail, Hail.

black_mk1
29-03-2008, 13:53
Ah very handy then, i don't think i'd fancy doing a mkI conversion myself though, damn that looks like a lot of work!

Bay is going to be black i think, as the car is going for a colour change when its finished, to black or blue, not sure, could be yellow or stay red.... or white...

Anyway back to read the last few pages before i watch Celtic **** *** ****! :)

I think pauls original guide you are reading is a couple of years old and he has since discovered a few easier options.
Like mk2 n/a gearbox and driveshafts, bolt on Fidanza flywheel options etc.

The mk1 is more work for sure but worth it :thumbsup:

OlberJ
29-03-2008, 14:36
Cheers for tidyin that up Mog, nothing's over yet though. Our time will come yet chief. :thumbsup:

MOG7
29-03-2008, 14:43
Cheers Black mk1, i'm currently reading through as many build threads as i can so i'll catch up soon....

Lol ye its not lookin good though Olber....

OlberJ
29-03-2008, 14:44
The next 2 are at paradise so we're sorted.

I hope. :freak3:

MOG7
29-03-2008, 14:57
Ah of coarse it will be easy, jsut sit back and watch McGeady win it for us...

Ok i've all my bets done now, 10 teams picked and the car will be extra special if they all win, i had 7 wins and 3 draws last weekend lol...

All these v6 threads, so much to read....

paulsporsche924
30-03-2008, 13:25
have you done the v6 swap yet, Im in ireland myself and am really keen to up the power on my Mr2 Mk2 NA GTi-16.

how much did it cost you and where from please...

many thanks, Paul

Paff
30-03-2008, 14:48
Na he's not done it yet. I've only just managed to persuade him it was a mistake to try selling his car and it would make the perfect base for a swap :)

MOG7
30-03-2008, 18:05
Hi Paul, as Paff said he has just convinced me into doing it, u'm opefully going to get starte next week on it. I don't have the v6 engine yet but i have enough to kep me busy for a while. I'm in Offaly by the way...

paulsporsche924
31-03-2008, 19:43
righto, im in Louth, but all my garage space and family are in Down so will be doing the conversion up there,

i have spotted a few camry's in england for as little as £400 !! and thats with mot so i could just drive it home, ferry is £90 and luckily my flights are free and i dont need to book them so i can go last minute.....

is there any benefit to which year of camry to go for? which would work best for a conversion on the 1991 rev1 N/a i have?

MOG7
01-04-2008, 09:10
I think its the 97+ Camry has the same engeine but is lighter than the older model one, but i think that is the only difference.

biteme
01-04-2008, 09:27
The 1997> Camry has the 1MZ-FE with is an aluminium block 3.0ltr, with slightly better heads and 200bhp as standard. Lightweight, more powerful - downside? OBD2 wiring nightmare and not as strong in stock form if you want to boost it.

MOG7
01-04-2008, 09:55
Well i am more than likely going to be getting a 3vz so its ok, i thought the wiring for the 3vz looked hard.

paulsporsche924
01-04-2008, 10:31
yeah same here, although realistically its only 10kg lighter, which is the size of an amp and speakers if i was to fit one for the sound upgrade.

does anyone else have a problem with wind roar thru the windows? i cant get them ro sit flush with the seals no matter how much fiddleing i do!!!

think for caost reaons ill just go for the earlier model, there is a really cheap 88 camry on sale at mo and watching it like a hawk with its v6 in mind

paulsporsche924
01-04-2008, 10:32
yeah same here, although realistically its only 10kg lighter, which is the size of an amp and speakers if i was to fit one for the sound upgrade.

does anyone else have a problem with wind roar thru the windows? i cant get them ro sit flush with the seals no matter how much fiddleing i do!!!

think for cost reaons ill just go for the earlier model, there is a really cheap 88 camry on sale at mo and watching it like a hawk with its v6 in mind

biteme
01-04-2008, 10:37
make sure that it's the 3.0ltr 3VZ-FE and not the 2VZ-FE!!! Which is a 2.5ltr piece of shit

Garbe
01-04-2008, 10:43
think for caost reaons ill just go for the earlier model, there is a really cheap 88 camry on sale at mo and watching it like a hawk with its v6 in mind

That is definitely the 2.5 V6 as johnny has said above, avoid like the plague. Thats why it going cheap.

MOG7
01-04-2008, 10:46
Have you seen any in Irelnad, i can't find them anywhere? I've seen a few cheapish 3lt v6's in England.

paulsporsche924
01-04-2008, 19:12
bastard told me it was the 3.0! well thatnks for that lads! what year did it convert to the 3.0? just so i know please. NO there are NO cheap 3.0 in Ireland TRAYNORS of ARMAGH are lookin £1200 for the engine and loom alone!! bastards! there re loads of sub £500 on autotrader, hell maybe we should go on a shopping trip get a group discount on the ferry if we can get enough people!

rwilson_ie
02-04-2008, 13:38
Damn you Mark

I was near convinced to sell on my MR2 altogether and then got bored in work and said I hadn't been on twobrutal in a while. So, pop over and see your v6 thread.

Now, I am torn between selling on my MR2 and V6dom !!

My predicament is as follows :

Dec 93 (rev3) MR2 turbo with t3/t4 turbo (N-Trim in a .60 A/R compressor housing, with a .55 A/R turbine housing) rated to 430fwhp, ST205 Chargecooler, Apexi Intake, Apexi SAFC-2, Apexi AVC-R, Neos designs Border modified side skirts and rear spats and modified SARD front bumper, new t-bar seals and car resprayed. Had been dynoed at 347fwhp @ 1.43 bar before the rebuild.

Then, I went and got an engine rebuild - to cut a long story short, it took 13 months and after it there is an engine management light on and problem with knock sensor. it's being looked at, at the moment. Car is 95% there with forged internals.

What price do you reckon I can sell the engine on for, as is with the knock sensor issue ?

Also, what are you doing with Tax / insurance over here ?

Tax will be 1,491 euro for a 3L ! Are you going to tax it as a 2L and take your chances ? same for insurance - I told you the issue I had when I asked my insurance company ? They asked me to get it certified by Toyota ! But Toyota said they couldn't certify it unless they done it themselves - which they wouldn't do (because they wouldn't know how !!!). I'm sure if I had an engineers report, it should convince them - but where do I get one.

And more questions - are you going to throw in forged internals to future proof it in case you decide to boost it in the future ?

@Ray - congrats on the upcoming dustbin lid - don't worry - we'll get the guy who did it !

Rob

SlipSlide
02-04-2008, 14:11
@Ray - congrats on the upcoming dustbin lid - don't worry - we'll get the guy who did it !

Rob

Cheers Rob
That engine would be just smashing for a 1.5 conversion. That would be a pocket rocket and a half. it would also release the cash for a V 6 for you and you get to keep your car with a big empty space for a 3.0 in there.

On the subject of tax I would keep it at the 2.0 on the book but insurance is not something I would mess with. Each to their own though. Us old men might get a quote easier than Mark but time will tell.

MOG7
02-04-2008, 14:24
Is it not less than 3000cc? If it is its €1109 for the year.

But i haven't looked into the insurance, if i can't get it insured which i still think will be unlikely, how can't they insure it when we know about all these cars in the UK with the same engine???

I am only planning at the moment on getting in the 3vz-fe with a new headgasket and water pump as recomended. I will think about turboing in the near future possibly.

But if all goes wrong with insurance etc. i am going to go ahead and just use it as a track car hopefully.

I'm sure with the power your engine is capeable of you would surely get a good price, if you don't keep the charge cooler that a little bit more money to.

I am not rushing this job as its only going to be done as i can afford pieces and in my spare time, and some of Ray's spare time to lol...

I really hope you go ahead with it to Rob.

rwilson_ie
02-04-2008, 14:36
Is it not less than 3000cc? If it is its €1109 for the year.

But i haven't looked into the insurance, if i can't get it insured which i still think will be unlikely, how can't they insure it when we know about all these cars in the UK with the same engine???

I am only planning at the moment on getting in the 3vz-fe with a new headgasket and water pump as recomended. I will think about turboing in the near future possibly.

But if all goes wrong with insurance etc. i am going to go ahead and just use it as a track car hopefully.

I'm sure with the power your engine is capeable of you would surely get a good price, if you don't keep the charge cooler that a little bit more money to.

I am not rushing this job as its only going to be done as i can afford pieces and in my spare time, and some of Ray's spare time to lol...

I really hope you go ahead with it to Rob.

@Ray - yeah - I'm same - tax doesn't worry me as much but I would prefer to be properly insured. Let me know if you find out any more on getting insured legit ? You friend in Toyota - could he get some sort of report ?

They said they'd quote me on a 199x Camry (assuming I had this "full Toyota report"). So, insurance should be same or cheaper - mr2 turbo rated at 243ps and Camry I think is 185-200ps ?

The problem is that I know that my engine has the internals in place and it's basically there - but to someone else, they see and engine management light and knock sensor issue and panic - so, hard to sell :(

@Mark - yes, you're right - think it's 2,959. But if I'm doing it, I'm leaving it at 2l on the book.

Ha, ha - insurance in the UK is reasonable comapred to Ireland. If you add an air freshner over here, they panic and up your premium.

Assuming your insurance company will insure you, they shoudl charge you same as if you were insuring a 3L camry. Although, this is a joke because you could have a Hummer and put in a 3L v6 in - do you think they'll quote you on insurance for a Hummer, or a Camry !?

There is no talking to these people, unless you know someone in the industry - actually, come to think of it - I do know someone- not sure if he's high up enough to do anything but I'll try contact him soon and see.

Rob

MOG7
02-04-2008, 14:39
Thats a good point i know a couple peole to, might give them a shout and see what they can do to.

MOG7
02-04-2008, 15:04
No i can't get through to him, i'll try later...

Are you thinking of doing it on your own or would you send it to England or whatever and get WS to do it Rob?

rwilson_ie
02-04-2008, 15:39
No i can't get through to him, i'll try later...

Are you thinking of doing it on your own or would you send it to England or whatever and get WS to do it Rob?

I'd prefer to get WS to do it but at same time, I'd love the learning experience.

Don't think I'd have the time to do it myself. And I don't have the space. I'd have to work out of my driveway and a small 8'x6' garden shed. Messy oily car and parts in driveway is a good bet for divorce !

The other, other option was to talk to look at a reconditioned engine from the US. No hassle with flights and boats and no stripping/building of the new engine to do. Then you just need to have your 3S engine out and drop in the new engine.

May not cost as much as you'd think with sea freight shipping from US. Saw this place

http://www.asapmotors.com/toyota-camry-30-p-5057.html

Okay, $1,195 plus say $400 shipping (that's a major guess)?? plus 21% VAT - and at a rate of 1.5, works out about 1,290 euro.

If you get a Camry from UK - say £500 for a decent one - about 650 euro. Then about 200 for flight over and ferry back - so, up to 850 euro.

When you get engine out and stripped, you may need to send block away to get work done - more $$$ and gaskets etc.

So, I was thinking a crate reconditioned engine wouyld be less hassle, less time and less $$$ ? Just an option ....

Rob

OlberJ
02-04-2008, 15:43
£600 for a reconditioned engine is a decent price. What does it include?

rwilson_ie
02-04-2008, 15:53
£600 for a reconditioned engine is a decent price. What does it include?

Apologies - that site was for used engines - not reconditioned :(

MOG7
02-04-2008, 15:59
Ye i know what you mean, i hopefully have someone in England who is going to strip the engine for me and pallet it over, but as you say it isn't reconditioned. But as i'm not going for forced induction yet i think a head gasket and pump will be enough work on the engine. Ye thankfully i have a garage, not cleared out yet but hopefully it will fit in there next week and then we can get cracking on getting the engine out!

Paff
02-04-2008, 23:55
Ah so Mark, the turbo is a thought for the future, wonder what else I can edge you towards :)

Oh and not in England, Wales mate, much better place, more sheep :)

MOG7
03-04-2008, 09:28
I have really got to stop letting you get ideas into my head...

Ah ye Wales i should have copped that myself, do'h!

Paff
03-04-2008, 10:50
The ideas are already in your head mate, they just need a little nudge in the right direction to surface :)

MOG7
03-04-2008, 11:42
Damn well i guess i'll have to trust you on that one :D

MOG7
03-04-2008, 16:02
Well just got a quote on a v6 Camry, its about the same as my n/a insurance, slightly cheaper even! So thats a good sign surely...

SlipSlide
03-04-2008, 16:29
Who was the quote from and was there "terms and conditions" like 6k miles per year etc.

And don't listen to the voices they have $$ signs after them as you probably seen with the prices on the spreadsheet its damn scary, but it is still do-able!!
When are you going to have the garage cleared out to get phase one started.

MOG7
03-04-2008, 16:38
Off Quinn who i am with already, no terms like mileage or whatever...

Phase 1 should be ready to start on Manday, going to try get as much disonnected as i can ready for it to be dropped out. Only concern is being able to lift the car high enough. I might need to price a couple of those ramps.

Paff
03-04-2008, 16:50
Cool sounds good. My insurance stayed rtoughtly the same after I did mine as well.

You'll be fine, should be able to lift the back high enough, just ratchet strap it to the garage roof :)

MOG7
03-04-2008, 16:54
Thats kind of the trouble, i'll have to chect out what the roof is like, it should be ok... We'll sort it somehow!

SlipSlide
03-04-2008, 21:04
I hold the back up and you can do the conversion. Should only be a couple of days to sort it out.

What are you doing about the engine mount have you found a supplier.

MOG7
03-04-2008, 21:33
like a plan i guess...

No i haven't found a supplier, nearly everything else is found, all i need is the mount and some more money :D

Someone on here i think is going to take up making them soon, if not i know someone who dose loads of metal work and they might be able to do something, i can't seem to get anything to show what it looks like though.

Marksman
03-04-2008, 22:26
Someone on here i think is going to take up making them soon

SWAT was standing aside on the MK2 mounts as BSM stated an interest in taking up production. However I've not heard anything from him since. If he chooses not to go ahead with them then we will take them up :thumbsup: Don't worry, one way or another there will be a TB supply of these mounts.

Regards,

Owen.

MOG7
04-04-2008, 08:58
Cheers for the help Owen:thumbsup:

SlipSlide
05-04-2008, 15:55
Is the shed cleaned out yet !!!

MOG7
06-04-2008, 03:55
Almost cleared out... Selling my laptop to make even more funds available, so should have the money for the Camry very soon....:jump:

Paff
06-04-2008, 08:45
Cool. Keeping an eye out for one still for ya mate.

Flying along now

paulsporsche924
06-04-2008, 11:35
LADS JUST TO LET YOU KNOW!!!!

Spoke to one of my uncles at the weekend, he works as the chief assessor for ZURICH on the motor claims dept, he was one of the guys who would come out and assess your car if you had an accident.

He says, (and the man is very very rarely ever wrong, didnt get that rich by being stupid) that you can list the car as a conversion kit car, that if you have changed so much as a side skirt or a bumper you can insure it as that,,
#

best of all, if you fit the F355 replica engine bay boot cover you can say you are building a F355 kit car bit by bit and you can legally insure it as the F355 KIT CAR resulting in an average 30-47% reduction in your premium depending on personal circumstance.

MOST IMPORTANTLY

if it is ever discovered that the engine in the car, even if its insured as a V6 is not the same as the V5 documnent, the car declaration sheet it is VOID of MOT/NCT because thats not what it was tested as resulting in your insurance being VOID and you being LIABLE, also your insurance company is LEGALLY OBLIGED to inform the tax office, VRT if applicable and the police that you were driving an uninsured and un-taxed/fraudently taxed car (as your tax is dependant on providing a valid MOT cert which is now void)

which also leaves you open to investigation fand possibly prosecution for FRAUD

I also checked this out with my cousin who has her own Law firm and teaches at Queens, and she says theroretically this is true, weather they would actually (POLICE) follow it up and go that far (prosecution) is one thing but certainly you would be slapped with a fine and if fraud is suspected then its a compulsary prosecution and your details will then be turned over to the CREDIT REFERENCE BUREAU which would totally fuck up any chance of loans, credit cards, mortgage etc.

MY uncle told me of a list of seperate occasions where collisions resulted in injury and the cars are inspected, he said seeing something like a blue silicone hose sets off warning bells so the assessor starts looking for intercoolers and turbo if its supposed to be an NA car, if they find any evidence of this then the insurance is void and the person who owns the car is personally Liable....

he says it happens more than we would think and the average assessor makes a MASSIVE bonus each time they void a claim, mostly now based on performance mods to the cars involved

HE told me that whatever you do or change, send it in in writing to your company with REGISTERED delivery. mostly the company wont do anything about it, but YOU are 100% covered in the event of an accident.

the same goes with the DVLA and your V5 document.

as we all know the law is a twisted maze and companies with big law teams can shake us off quick pronto, so it is better to be safe, to give you an idea of how much it can cost you.....

on the 28th of Jan last year i crashed my porsche into a new merc, a corsa and a tree, photo below
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/04/38.jpg

technically it was partly my fault, but with the help from a great lawer and family i was covered by my insurance and was not charged by the police, my insurance paid out all the money for the car, (it was one of 24 in the world very limited classic edition) and all the money for the personal injury claims of the people involved and for my lawyers (some insurance company's cover that)

so i was left with a payout for my car (irreplaceable though) and NO personal charges for any of it.

had i not been fully covered by my insurance i would have been personally liable for the grand total of .... and this is fucking unreal! provided by my Lawyer and the insurance company.

£55,400 for the merc cls amg
£4700 for his laywers and legal costs
£45,000 for injury claims
£6,700 for the corsa

then the Police fines the hospital charges and then no car for me, no money and a pending court case!!!!!

IM DOING the V6 conversion, but im telling everyone exactly whats under the cover and if i have to pay 1500 euros a year tax plus whatever for the VRT ill pay it, its just not worth it lads.

SlipSlide
06-04-2008, 15:57
Thanks Paul, and duly noted. Looks like fully disclosed is the way to go.

MOG7
06-04-2008, 19:46
Ye cheers Paul...

EarL
07-04-2008, 09:15
Hooray for Sky Insurance in that case. :clap:

MOG7
07-04-2008, 09:58
Paul the rate for 2,901 to 3,000cc is €1,109 a year. Ok i know it s about double the 500 odd ofr a 2 litre but a bit short of 1500 at least. They are the figures i can find at least.

MOG7
07-04-2008, 16:01
So how are you going to insure yours Paul? I'm planning on a change of engine cover and wide arches? Can i insure it as a 3ltr Kit car instead of an MR2 with a Non-standard engine conversion?

paulsporsche924
08-04-2008, 09:19
not really sure i would need to ask, im just in the process of buying a house so as soon as thats all thru ill be starting the conversion.

im going to to try to insure it as an engine conversion, but its on a classic policy as i only need 5000 miles a year on the MR2 because of the other cars we have, so ill see how that goes, ill also price around on insurance on the F355 replica's and if its good i may try my hand at one of the exact 355 kits,

have you seen the silver one woodsport done? it looks and sounds AWSOME, with that V6 in it of course.

thanks for that tax figure, 1,109 is not ultra bad really..... ill see what i can get as far as quotes go and then plan my conversion around that.

MOG7
08-04-2008, 10:09
Sounds goo Paul :thumbsup:

MOG7
20-04-2008, 20:45
Ok so was at a mr2 meet today,as a passanger with Slipside as my car is off the road, But along our 400 mile journey we were talking about the swap that i'm about to do...

So a couple things;
I've bought my 3vzfe, i just need to sort getting it collected and delivered but it doesn't matter as it won't be much good to me without the few pieces i need.

Firstly swapping the engine onto my mk2 n/a gearbox do i need to get the 5sfe flywheel modefied or does it go straight on to the n/a box?

Secondly what ECU do i use? Is it wired through the camry ECU or is it just wired through my own ECU?

Cheers
Mark :thumbsup:

Marksman
20-04-2008, 21:55
Camry ECU and you need to get the MR2 flywheel modified to bolt onto the V6 crankshaft. Tony, aka FourVeeSix (http://www.forums.twobrutal.com/member.php?u=235) is your man for that.

Hope that helps,

Owen.

MOG7
21-04-2008, 08:56
ok ok i get it now, so its pretty much as i was kind of thinking, only a few more pieces needed and i can get started properly...

Cheers
Mark

MOG7
21-04-2008, 20:53
WooHoo i don't have to finish cleaning out the garage - After work today i had a talk with the lad who owns a quarry 2 min's walk down the road and he said i can use one of his sheds, so was up looking at it, every tool i could imagine, angle grinders, welder, air tools, and to top it all off there is a pit so no neet to lift the car off the ground even an inch... I'm gonna start to take apart some of the car tomorrow, exhaust, filter, etc.

As soon as the payment is cleared i will arrange delivery of the engine and then hopefully this weekend i will buy the flywheel off ebay...

WOOOHOOOO the feeling to have actually begun is brilliant!

Marksman
21-04-2008, 23:46
Fantastic news :jump: That will speed up the process no end. No weather to worry about, and tools you don't have to stop work for and go and buy when you need them. Perfect.

Owen.

MOG7
22-04-2008, 09:06
plus your man who owns the quarry is a bit of a genius when it comes to machinery, ok maybe things a bit bigger and sirtier than mr2's but i'm sure some of his knowledge will come in handy...

On the entrance up to the shed there is a rear axel froma lorry he put on its side and welded a tractor and plough to the top of it, it also turns in the wind, pretty cool...

SlipSlide
22-04-2008, 13:31
Sweet as a nut, nice find Mark, and you gotta get a photo of the weather plough and post it up pronto. It would be a class twobrutal avatar.

MOG7
22-04-2008, 15:25
Yep i will do Ray, and if the match isn't any good tonight i might go take off the exhaust and a few other pieces that are easy...

SIFU
22-04-2008, 16:18
Any good?!?!?! :hand:

Liverpool are going to kick ass :pray:

Paff
22-04-2008, 18:07
Awesome mate, glad to see things can kick off quicker now. result in not having to clear the garage

iblis
22-04-2008, 19:07
I think Iblis is doing a conversion at the minute as well but he is living in London now so your still going to be the first in Ireland.

On Paul's waiting list. Hopefully soon!

First in Ireland is stil up for grabs as far as I know, best of luck with it :thumbsup:

MOG7
22-04-2008, 20:35
Just looking for a flywheel at the mo, i'm trying to decide if i but a Fidaza one for about €230 including delivery or a used one gaurinteed for about €70 inc. delivery, choices choices choices, what are the benefits of going with the Fidanza other than it being a brand new flywheel?

OlberJ
22-04-2008, 20:48
It's lighter and helps the engine rev up and down quicker, less mass to spin up you see.

Plus it looks awesome and you can still get a peak at it when it's on the engine if you lie underneath your car and look at the gearbox from the driver's side.

Phwooaaarrr!

OlberJ
22-04-2008, 20:48
Ha! Av jus turned signatures on and seen your word of the week. lol

MOG7
22-04-2008, 20:50
It's lighter and helps the engine rev up and down quicker, less mass to spin up you see.

Plus it looks awesome and you can still get a peak at it when it's on the engine if you lie underneath your car and look at the gearbox from the driver's side.

Phwooaaarrr!

So at a wild guess you decided to get a Fidanza, i think i might just get the used one for now and then if i feel like a Fidanza is needed?wanted i might change it later, though i know it would be easier to do it now before the engine goes in...

MOG7
22-04-2008, 20:51
Ha! Av jus turned signatures on and seen your word of the week. lol

Yes it has been that for a couple weeks but i have yet to see a beter word :D

OlberJ
22-04-2008, 20:54
Hell no, i went for a refaced and drilled standard Mk2 flywheel, couldn't afford the Fidanza at the time.

Apparantly you can notice the difference but av no frame of reference am afraid.

Fannymoulds is a cracker, downpoops is me next favourite though. lol

MOG7
22-04-2008, 21:04
lol ye i can get all, well nearly all the parts this weekend if i get the used flywheel,:idea: and i'm itching to get it started so i think i will...

There goes another weeks wages i guess :D

Downpoops :fart2:

MOG7
25-04-2008, 16:47
So small update...

A lot of the parts removed from the engine and car itself, de-spoilering it was fun. Started to remove the exhaust and my damn cheap big ratchet broke, have to pick one up after work to take the exhaust off...

MOG7
27-04-2008, 13:28
Anybody got any tips on removing stuck bolts, i've tried shouting at them, i've tried spittin' at them, i've tried hittin' them but they just won't move!:rant:

Gary Symons
27-04-2008, 13:51
Anybody got any tips on removing stuck bolts, i've tried shouting at them, i've tried spittin' at them, i've tried hittin' them but they just won't move!:rant:

Have you tried talking nicely to them?lol

I tend to use a full hex socket, a breaker bar with a bloody long pipe on the end for leverage. Failing that, get my dad to heat up the metal around the bolt (not the bolt itself) with his gas torch.

SlipSlide
27-04-2008, 14:54
Have ten of these:booz: and a bit of this :woc: some of that :pumped:
Bob's your uncle and Fannys your aunt, jobs oxo, but it better not be on my exhaust :lol:

OlberJ
27-04-2008, 16:14
:woc: :blowup:

MOG7
27-04-2008, 16:21
Have ten of these:booz: and a bit of this :woc: some of that :pumped:
Bob's your uncle and Fannys your aunt, jobs oxo, but it better not be on my exhaust :lol:

Nope i got the exhaust off ok after a lot of cursing at it :D If your around the area in the next couple weeks ya can have it or have a look at it...

SlipSlide
28-04-2008, 08:50
Was looking to come down and give you a hand next saturday either morning or evening if your around for some grafting. Evening is better for me have to run family around to football, guitar lessons, GAA etc. in the morning.

What stage are you at.

Should have money for the exhaust in next months pay, if that is to far away sell it on I don't want to hold up the build due to my funding.

MOG7
28-04-2008, 09:24
Was looking to come down and give you a hand next saturday either morning or evening if your around for some grafting. Evening is better for me have to run family around to football, guitar lessons, GAA etc. in the morning.

What stage are you at.

Should have money for the exhaust in next months pay, if that is to far away sell it on I don't want to hold up the build due to my funding.

Haha no i'm in no rush to sell it your ok, i have a load of pieces disconnected but can't really do much until i have the ither engine, i'm thinking as soon as i have all the parts ready, engine, mount etc. ready to go in, i'll take the car up to the garage, we'll take the engine out one weekend and the next weekend or two we can put in the v6, take it back to the house and finish the wiring... The engine was collected on Friday so i should have that in a couple days :D

SlipSlide
30-04-2008, 07:44
Good stuff on the engine.
Give me a shout when you want to start the work.

MOG7
08-05-2008, 16:39
:jump: :jump: :jump: Engine has just been delivered to me at work rotflmao God it really looks so so BIG! The truck driver started laughing and said i must be getting cheaper petrol than everyone else rotflmao

I'm finding it hard to hide my enjoyment :D

Paff
08-05-2008, 16:52
does look huge doesn't it.

Even now I look at my V6 on the bench next to the standard engine and think it won't fit..

Worst thing is I know it does cos it was in before.
Looking forward to you getting cracked on with it now :)

SlipSlide
08-05-2008, 20:56
:jump: :jump: :jump: Engine has just been delivered to me at work rotflmao God it really looks so so BIG! The truck driver started laughing and said i must be getting cheaper petrol than everyone else rotflmao

I'm finding it hard to hide my enjoyment :D

Class, you said something about the side of the house for the build, thank funk it coming into the summer.

Whats happening on the parts side have you got all you need yet. When are you thinking of starting.

MOG7
08-05-2008, 21:47
Class, you said something about the side of the house for the build, thank funk it coming into the summer.

Whats happening on the parts side have you got all you need yet. When are you thinking of starting.

Still a bit to go, still haven't got the flywheel delivered yet, hopefully next week and then its straight off to England to get modded. Hopefully in the meantime the the head gasket and pump will be changed, and maybe some paint added...

Was looking through buy and sell for an engine crane, one for a hundred quid but i don't know how big it is, i couldn't get through to the number either, maybe tomorrow.

I'm guessing the engine mount can be welded in after the engine is in the bay, i can't see why not?

I would like to drop the engine out asap so i can get the bay cleaned up while i'm waiting on parts and stuff to be ready, if the hoist is big enough i think i'll get it but if not would you have access to one for a weekend? It would have to be strong enough to lift the car high enough to slide the engine out?

Easy peasy right?:freak3:

SlipSlide
08-05-2008, 21:50
I will see what I can do, when do you want it. Might have to give them a bit of notice about a week.

MOG7
09-05-2008, 11:34
I will see what I can do, when do you want it. Might have to give them a bit of notice about a week.

Ye well if you can get one then waiting a week or two is no problem, as i saiy the engine apart from the :jump: mounts and subframe is ready to fall out... Hopefully...

SlipSlide
09-05-2008, 12:20
I'm guessing the engine mount can be welded in after the engine is in the bay, i can't see why not?

WTF!! I thought this was a bolt in replacement all you need is the custom engine mount.

Crane is available whenever we need it but it would need to be turned around back to him within a couple of days.

On a side note I am signing contracts for me new garage (& house) next week so if you want to do the job in the dry there is space there for it, but won't be moved in for a few weeks around mid June or so, just an option that is available to you.

And the missus told me she will bring out the cold beers while we work, so that is the important bit sorted. rotflmao

Paff
09-05-2008, 14:06
Yep should def be a boltin replacement on the mk2

EarL
09-05-2008, 15:41
Thought the custom engine mount was only needed for the MkI?

...maybe I got the wrong end of the you know what. :hidesbehi

Paff
09-05-2008, 15:55
nope, the mk1 needs all the mounts custome done, the mk2 just needs the one on the engineside made and then will bolt into the right place :)

OlberJ
09-05-2008, 16:56
Lucky bastards eh Paff?

MOG7
10-05-2008, 09:15
Lucky bastards eh Paff?

Hopefully, cause that the only rewason i'm doing it.

Said i'd come in and work today, the only reason was to look at the engine, man i can't get over it lol ...

OlberJ
10-05-2008, 09:28
man i can't get over it ...

Try putting it on the floor and using a small step ladder, they're no that big. :mrgreen:

MOG7
10-05-2008, 09:32
WTF!! I thought this was a bolt in replacement all you need is the custom engine mount.

Crane is available whenever we need it but it would need to be turned around back to him within a couple of days.

On a side note I am signing contracts for me new garage (& house) next week so if you want to do the job in the dry there is space there for it, but won't be moved in for a few weeks around mid June or so, just an option that is available to you.

And the missus told me she will bring out the cold beers while we work, so that is the important bit sorted. rotflmao

lol, ah right well if its just a bolt in then i presume its needed before the engine can go in so i'll have to see if anyone can make one for me, So does anyone want to make a MkII V6 Engine mount for me?

Ah so if we say in a couple weeks, 24/25, would that weekend suit to come down and give a hand dropping out the engine? Whenever suits you will be ok with me.

Paff
10-05-2008, 09:53
Yep they is lucky buggers.

BSM was gonna be making the mounts, might be worth a pm to him.

SlipSlide
11-05-2008, 11:13
Ah so if we say in a couple weeks, 24/25, would that weekend suit to come down and give a hand dropping out the engine? Whenever suits you will be ok with me.

24/25 should be ok but with the moving of house I can't say absolutely, I will know closer to the time. Oh and I will arrange the crane for then as well.

What transport company did you use to get the engine over cause I have a set of alloys to get over from around Ware to here (sounds like a song, its a long long way from Ware to here) before we can do the wheel / exhaust exchange.

OlberJ
11-05-2008, 14:12
from around Ware to here (sounds like a song, its a long long way from Ware to here) before we can do the wheel / exhaust exchange.

Class lol

MOG7
11-05-2008, 16:08
24/25 should be ok but with the moving of house I can't say absolutely, I will know closer to the time. Oh and I will arrange the crane for then as well.

What transport company did you use to get the engine over cause I have a set of alloys to get over from around Ware to here (sounds like a song, its a long long way from Ware to here) before we can do the wheel / exhaust exchange.

K Shipping is who i used, i just know him through work so i don't even know how much it cost me yet...

MOG7
13-05-2008, 12:36
Yep they is lucky buggers.

BSM was gonna be making the mounts, might be worth a pm to him.

PM'd him but he's not making them yet, not until Tony has stopped, but well i'll be sending him my flywheel next week so i migh just ask him to do a mount to?

I only bought a used 5sfe fly instead of the Fidanza, the price at the moment was a bit too much, i've heard it does make a noticeable difference but my pockets aren't that deep just yet lol...

MOG7
13-05-2008, 20:49
Wow flywheel arrived today, i only ordered it from the US of A on Friday, i ordered black high temp paint from england at the same time and no sign of that yet. Can't wait now, will be sending it off on Monday Morning to get modded:jump:

Ray do you know how much you could get a water pump and head gasket set for the 3vzfe? It might save having to pay for carriage and hassle of buying off ebay? Cheers

SlipSlide
14-05-2008, 07:34
Ray do you know how much you could get a water pump and head gasket set for the 3vzfe? It might save having to pay for carriage and hassle of buying off ebay? Cheers

I have just mailed my mate to get a price, will give you a shout when he gets back to me with the price. Hopefully we don't need a chassis no.

Nice one on the flywheel, you know you could get that one lightened while its not in the car. I think it might be worth calling to see if he can do anything for you and how much,
http://www.westwardeng.com/
Don't be fooled by his web site this guy really knows his Sh1t been building rally engines for years and years.

Any luck on an engine mount yet?

MOG7
14-05-2008, 10:32
I think Tony is still doing the engine mount so i will ask him to make a mount while he has the flywheel, so i'll get them both at the same time hopefully...

I hope i can get a couple of the parts sand blasted here in work and then painted, not going mad on the paint, just something simple... We're nearly there.

Ye i will give him a ring to see how much lightening it might cost, i've heard about them before alright, i might have to have a go on there rr sometime to lol

Maybe Mr. Woods can help me on this one, i have my clocks off my mr2 and i have the clock of the Camry but what needs to be changed onto my clocks etc.?

Rosssco
14-05-2008, 12:41
Hi Mark, I take it you got everything all ok mate? I hope everything is there - I never even got a chance to see what had been sent from the breakers where I bought the thing originally..lol

Ross

MOG7
14-05-2008, 12:49
Hi Mark, I take it you got everything all ok mate? I hope everything is there - I never even got a chance to see what had been sent from the breakers where I bought the thing originally..lol

Ross

Ye mate all looks good, there is a box of parts, clocks and other bits which i don't recognise lol I'm gonna take them home now after work and try figure out what they are, or post up pics herre and let someone else figure it out lol Cheers again mate

Rosssco
14-05-2008, 15:43
Yeah, you should also have bits like:

Ignition coil and amp, vacuum canister, ecu etc.

With regards to the Camry clocks, I think you need the tacho circuit board switched over. There was a guide on how to do it somewhere on here I believe..

Good luck

MOG7
14-05-2008, 16:32
Yeah, you should also have bits like:

Ignition coil and amp, vacuum canister, ecu etc.

With regards to the Camry clocks, I think you need the tacho circuit board switched over. There was a guide on how to do it somewhere on here I believe..

Good luck

Lol ye i took the stuff out of work at lunch time and had a look at it in the boot - There is a good few pieces but i don't have a clue what half of them are, i think i'll have to post pics lol... I recognise the clocks and the ECU lol

I'm changing some money to sterling this weekend so i will send over what i owe you at the start of next week....

MOG7
15-05-2008, 15:22
Hmmm does anyone know where there is a how to on how to change the tacho from the Camry Clocks tto my own mk2 clocks? I can't find it in a search anywhere... Does anyone know where it is? lol

OlberJ
15-05-2008, 17:56
Check out Sketchy's thread in electrical or 3VZFE, it's a sticky, it uses a coupla resistors on the Mr2 board and gives a much more acurate reading.

Stick the potentiometer on a cable and you can adjust it later for fine choonin.

BSM
15-05-2008, 19:35
Have you sorted your self a mount yet? I have one in development stages at the mo and is a little while off production. If you can wait you can have the first one.

BSM

MOG7
15-05-2008, 21:12
Cheers Olber i'll have a look at it now...

Ye cheers BSM, i'll be able to wait but i'll take the 1st one when its ready, still a bit of wwork to be done on the engine and on the car so i'm in no major rush...

I spent an hour out, had planned to remove the hubs and subframe, damn bolts! I got stuck just trying to remove the bolts behind the brake calipers, only got one removed and that was hard....

MOG7
16-05-2008, 09:18
Some pics of the car at the minute...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image026.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image025.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image028.jpg

And the interior, or lack of it

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image027.jpg

MOG7
16-05-2008, 09:28
And now soem pieces i need identifying?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image024.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image023.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image022.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image021.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image020.jpg

And then a pic of my engine, still on pallet and the flywheel lol

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image012.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image019.jpg

black_mk1
16-05-2008, 15:48
1. Is that the speed controller? scrap anyway
2. Vacuum cannister - you need this
3. Looks like the camry fusebox - scrap
4. Charcoal cannister - scrap too useless you use it on a mk2....
5. Not sure what this is but scrap.
6. Yep, that's the engine :p

HTH

MOG7
16-05-2008, 15:55
1. Is that the speed controller? scrap anyway
2. Vacuum cannister - you need this
3. Looks like the camry fusebox - scrap
4. Charcoal cannister - scrap too useless you use it on a mk2....
5. Not sure what this is but scrap.
6. Yep, that's the engine :p

HTH

Your a legend mate! So the sam e as i was just talking to Paff, he though the same but wasn't sure bout it... Cheers for clearing it up mate.

SlipSlide
19-05-2008, 19:31
Well are we working on dropping the 3SGE this weekend Mark, just need to give a bit of notice on the crane.

MOG7
19-05-2008, 22:04
Well are we working on dropping the 3SGE this weekend Mark, just need to give a bit of notice on the crane.

Yep Ray all is ready to go, i have pretty much everything, except a couple bolts on the subframe and the gear linkages disconected. And 3 of the mounts, it should really only take a couple hours max. :jump: :thumbsup:

SlipSlide
20-05-2008, 11:44
Right, I am collecting the crane Friday night, will be with you sat morning. What time suits, early is best cause I have tickets for the Ireland soccer match in croke park sat evening and will need to leave about 14-00. Now if we are not done at that stage I can come back on Sunday to finish as the crane needs to go back sunday evening. Lets try and get as muh done as possible with the house move I don't know when I will have a decent amount of time to help out following this weekend.

MOG7
20-05-2008, 12:39
Ye sounds good, i'll collect the engine from work Saturday morning, jsut so we can use the crane to take it off the trailer and leave it on a pallet at the house... We can leave my old engine on a pallet to, i've sold it to a neighbour for parts... After that, well it will be a few weeks until we can get the engine in, i'm kind of short on money after booking holidays and stuff...

SlipSlide
20-05-2008, 12:55
Snorted then, as they would say in the Dam.

MOG7
23-05-2008, 15:01
I'll be up ready from about 9 so anytime around that we'll be able to get it done, easy peasy :D

Hopefully...

SlipSlide
23-05-2008, 20:40
I will leave here at about 8-00. See you around nine

MOG7
23-05-2008, 21:02
I will leave here at about 8-00. See you around nine

Cool, i'll be collecting my engine at half 8 so i'll be back home before 9 co i'll see ya then:jump:

iblis
24-05-2008, 11:18
Fair play to you guys doing this yourselves. If I was still in Ireland I'd have given you a hand! :thumbsup:

MOG7
24-05-2008, 16:34
Well we got the engine out! We started to work on it at about 10 this morning and by half 1 we had put away all the tools and had the engine out of the car, with neither of us having dropped out a car engine before we were pretty happy with that. I have pics but with me only having Dial up internet at home i'll be here all day trying to upload them so i'll do them later on tonight :blush:

Also got the v6 home at last, i'll hopefully get the gearbox off it tomorrow and give it a bit of a clean...

Marksman
24-05-2008, 16:37
Splendid start :praise2:

Owen.

OlberJ
24-05-2008, 16:43
Workin at that rate, you'll have it in by next Sunday. :thumbsup:

MOG7
24-05-2008, 18:44
Dropping
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000109.jpg

Dropping
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000113.jpg

Dropped
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000110.jpg

Oh Ray forgot about this!
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000114.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000115.jpg

So we pulled the 3VZ off the trailer :jump:
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000117.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000120.jpg

Beside the 3SGE
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000126.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000137.jpg

And Ray was kind enough to bring one of my new alloys down
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P1000133.jpg

biteme
24-05-2008, 18:59
That wheel looks lush.

Be even better with it's three brothers :)

MOG7
24-05-2008, 19:08
Hmm where'd my last post bugger off to?

MOG7
24-05-2008, 19:12
That wheel looks lush.

Be even better with it's three brothers :)

Yep lovely, not staggered though, but i will be getting to slightly differ 8j's for the back soon :D

Hmm where'd my last post bugger off to?

It did dissapear, it did, i'm not going mad!:freak3:

SlipSlide
25-05-2008, 00:45
Its nice to be getting the hands dirty again last engine swaps I done was in my old racing sidecar and just happened to change two of them in one day.

Nice to be swapping something more the a 1100cc though.

Wouldn't mind doing some more work when the parts come in and Mark don't forget to talk to Brian to talk to his brother so we can get the prices for the parts and hopefully the parts themselves. I will hassle him as well.

MOG7
25-05-2008, 15:28
Yep Ray i will say it to him the next time he is down lol

Ok took off one of the heads, can't get the intake off, is there only 2 bolts and the 3 allen bolts holding it on? What size are the allen nuts?

And does anyone know if the heads can be sand blasted clean?

And where abouts is the Starter motor spacer?

OlberJ
26-05-2008, 18:06
No on the sandblasting as per other thread.

No starter motor spacer either.

2 nuts either end of the inlet fannymould and the 3 allen bolts in the middle :thumbsup:

MOG7
26-05-2008, 20:29
No on the sandblasting as per other thread.

No starter motor spacer either.

2 nuts either end of the inlet fannymould and the 3 allen bolts in the middle :thumbsup:

Thats what i though but Tony wanted me to send him a spacer along with the flywheel?:freak3: But i couldn't find anything...

Ye nice work so tomorrow i'll split the gearbox off the 3sge and remove the intake manifold, that'll kepp me out of trouble! Cheers mate :thumbsup:

OlberJ
26-05-2008, 21:18
Aha, it's the flywheel spacer he's talking about. When you take your flywheel off there'll be a spacer where the bolts are. I know it well :whistle:

When you get the fly back you'll see why lol

MOG7
27-05-2008, 09:26
Ah right, well hopefully i'll manage to whip off the gearbox tonight and find the spacer! And get both cam covers off and cleaned...

Looks like i have just sold my PS3 to fund a few more parts lol

SlipSlide
27-05-2008, 09:49
Jesus your addicted to this build, the PS3 gone funkin hell!!

Now that gives you more time to work on the car, you won't need my help at all. Maybe give you time to check the engine terminology instead of scaring the funk out of me by saying thing like.:eek2:

Ok took off one of the heads.

And where abouts is the Starter motor spacer?

Then again a couple of year ago I would have said the same thing :freak3:

MOG7
27-05-2008, 10:15
lol ye sorry bout that :D

ye i never really bothered playing the PS3 so i said i'd put it up for sale - Arrived in work this morning and a lad wants it, just waiting on a pm to see when he wants to collect it :D

MOG7
29-05-2008, 10:36
Sold it, now where to waste my money next?!

Cam cover painted, intake painted, little small bits painted, now just to put it back together!

And finally give this gearbox a good looking at and get it off the feckin engine!

I still haven't seen Brian around here yet Slipside!

SlipSlide
29-05-2008, 22:21
His brother is gone to the TT as well the lucky funker. Will try another avenue for the parts tomorrow I should get a chance.
Service Kit
Head gasket kit
Heads gasket bolts (anybody know if the originals can be reused)
Water pump
Timing belt
Lamda sensor

Did you spot anything else that needs replacing, or has anyone got any extra thoughts on what to replace while the engine is out.

It also might be an idea to have a look for the fifth gear mentioned on this http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=10180&page=15 thread while the box is out.

SlipSlide
29-05-2008, 22:58
Mark I just spotted this sticky you won't get cheaper than that.

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=10191

Thanks Millentubby

MOG7
30-05-2008, 02:22
Yep Ray the ones Colin was talking about are the ones from the US of A i was talking about, i dunno if Toyota can even compete near them, i will i think be ordering all of the parts MT mentioned on Monday and hopefully arrange for a mechanic to fit them the week i get them... Making the engine ready to fit...

Though tofay i started to remove the gearbox off my 3sge, i think i have 5 bolts out already, and i can't see anymore, is there more?

MOG7
30-05-2008, 09:13
About the gears i wasn't really overly excited about it until i read

plugged figures into my calculator thing again..

Engine RPM 5th wheel speed mph

500 10.6
1000 21.1
1500 31.7
2000 42.2
2500 52.8
3000 63.4
3500 73.9
4000 84.5
4500 95
5000 105.6
5500 116.2
6000 126.7
6500 137.3
7000 147.8
7500 158.4

thats with ratios of:

1st gear 3.285
2nd gear 1.96
3rd gear 1.322
4th gear 1.028
5th gear 0.75

final 3.94

and wheel OUTSIDE diameter of 21"

just to check, are we sure that uk and jap spec boxes both have that final drive? the jap spec isnt the same as the US spec box final drive of 4.18 as reported by hot chilli?

****this is the figures with the original 0.82 5th set for comparision*****

Engine RPM 5th wheel speed mph

500 9.7
1000 19.3
1500 29
2000 38.6
2500 48.3
3000 58
3500 67.6
4000 77.3
4500 86.9
5000 96.6
5500 106.2
6000 115.9
6500 125.6
7000 135.2
7500 144.9

Now i want one of those gears...

SlipSlide
30-05-2008, 12:00
Best get the parts from USA as price form Toyota will be mad even with my discount.
Did you see the list of donors for that fifth gear conversion. I would suspect you could pick one of the g/boxs cheap over here and a mate of mine is a gearbox specialist so he could change the gears over easily without to much cost.

Don't know if there are more bolts to remove but the box should seperate easy after a little resistance to begin with. Check how many bolt holes are on the V6 as its the same.

MOG7
30-05-2008, 12:18
Best get the parts from USA as price form Toyota will be mad even with my discount.
Did you see the list of donors for that fifth gear conversion. I would suspect you could pick one of the g/boxs cheap over here and a mate of mine is a gearbox specialist so he could change the gears over easily without to much cost.

Don't know if there are more bolts to remove but the box should seperate easy after a little resistance to begin with. Check how many bolt holes are on the V6 as its the same.

Good figuring, i was in a rush to get to the pub so didn't even get to look proper for and more bolts, i'll get it done tonight.

Sounds good then if you know a specialist, i'll try see if i can source a gearbox, and i shall be ordering the service parts etc on Wednesday when i get the funds.

I got all the detailing on the engine finished, matt black and red, not the best work but looks good imo lol

SlipSlide
30-05-2008, 14:15
Mark, for the heck of it I said I would get a price on the fifth gear cog as quoted on the S54 gearing thread and it works out at €110 which is for very little by the looks of it. Going to post it on that thread as well.

MOG7
30-05-2008, 15:26
Great work Ray :thumbsup: Saves a lot of searching for gearboxes etc.

I will propably get you to order one next weekend or around that time if thats ok with you, 160 mph here we come!!!

And at least the specialist could have a looksie at my box, eh i don't think i ever thought i'd say that sentence..... Again lol

MOG7
31-05-2008, 10:40
Ok put the bits i got painted back on quickly last night

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/Image039.jpg

:jump:

MOG7
06-06-2008, 10:45
What is the engine spec of a standard 3vz? Bore? Stroke? etc. etc.

MOG7
02-07-2008, 13:01
Ok since i'll have the mount in around 2 weeks what else should i do before i put the engine in?

Checklist;
Headgasket and Headbolts Check

Water Pump Check

Painted Check

Plugs Check

Is there anything else i should/need do?

SlipSlide
02-07-2008, 13:13
Mark per my PM earlier and your post ^^^

Should the exhaust down pipes be on the engine before lifting into place.

Is anybody supplying the EGR blanking plates now?

Is Clutch replaced

Gearbox installed

Replace damaged lamda sensor

New gearbox oil (get the stuff that won't eat the brass syncro's)

That all I can think of for now.

MOG7
02-07-2008, 13:19
Mark per my PM earlier and your post ^^^

Should the exhaust down pipes be on the engine before lifting into place.

Is Clutch replaced

Gearbox installed

Replace damaged lamda sensor

New gearbox oil (get the stuff that won't eat the brass syncro's)

That all I can think of for now.

I new i'd forget most of it. What is the EGR Plate, there is a plate in the gearbox i am sending with the flywheel to be modified is that it?

Does the clutch need to be replaced, i thought i just used my own clutch?

I'll take a pic of the lamba sensor we damaged and i'll post it tonight:thumbsup:

Rowdan
02-07-2008, 18:14

SWAT now supply these:

Clicky Link (http://www.forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=10204)

MOG7
02-07-2008, 20:24
Sorry i'm gonna show my idiot side again but what are the EGR plates for?

OohMatron
03-07-2008, 08:32
Sorry i'm gonna show my idiot side again but what are the EGR plates for?

From the picture of your engine below -

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/07/16.jpg

The EGR system is the highlighted piece, it recirculates exhaust gases
back into the inlet. Most of our swaps have them removed.

The picture of my bay below -

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/02/59.jpg

You can just see the aluminium plate that replaces part of the system.

There's another plate that covers up a hole on the underside of your
plenum.

There's a good few write ups on peoples swaps about replacing it.

HTH

MOG7
03-07-2008, 08:53
Perfect, cheers mate, i think i'll better get ordering some.

MOG7
03-07-2008, 10:23
Off now to order the 8 bolts for the flywheel off Mr. T.. This will be fun!

MOG7
07-07-2008, 09:05
Does anyone have a spare one of these pipes or know where i can get one?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/mog7/P5140312.jpg

Garbe
07-07-2008, 13:18
which pipe?

MOG7
07-07-2008, 14:11
Good point, the big one going from the intake madifold to the air filter

OlberJ
07-07-2008, 21:15
U can but a metal tubing of that size, with 2 take offs for the other pipes on it, from ebay.

Then just get a couple of bits of 3" tubing and it'll go together neater and blingier.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/05/289.jpg

If u cannae get a standard one that is.

And no i don't have my old one, i cut it up. :doh:

Bev
08-07-2008, 22:33
Olberj, that looks mint! That pipe is a bit of a bling killer.

Mog7. I think I have one (don't hold me to it yet!!). But from down here, you'd really have to bend over and take it from the shipping company I'm affraid. Plus the time involved. It'd sux having a completed swap sitting there just missing that tube. Probably wouldn't be worth it. I'll have a dig around in my hoarde of stuff anyway and see what I can rummage up.

Bevan

MOG7
09-07-2008, 10:08
Cheers Bev, i think i'll do as Olber suggested and just find a pipe on ebay to use instead of it...

So Slipside pooped in and the way by mine last night to talk over things,

Engine is being sorted with headgasket and water pump.

Fly wheel and plate is being sent on Monday.

Bolts for fly are got from Mr. T.

Engine mount is nearly ready.

Do i just use the standard camry downpoop?

Anything else i need to sort before the engine goes in?

Marksman
09-07-2008, 16:38
Camry downpipe is usable. It's not very nice but it does the job. There are two baffles in the y-pipe that you may care to cut out. It's a bit fiddly and involves some keyhole surgery and then some welding of plates over the top. In time I'm sure there will be off the shelf replacements so if it were me I'd stick with the original for the first build and then look to maybe upgrade later if you feel the need.

Have fun,

Owen.

MOG7
09-07-2008, 16:50
:thumbsup:

MOG7
02-08-2008, 09:08
Hey everyone, i've been so slow the thread title needs to be changed, there is now 2 v6 m2's in Irelad, MT's mk1 is now living in Slipsides garage and SIFU awesome mk2 is now living up north with its new owner, i'm not saying who just yet though.

But well i finally got around to taking an angle grinder to the last old holding the gearbox on and i now have it free.

Clutch is looking very old and a bit worn so i'm going to replace that, any recomendations on a nice new one?

Ok from what i see now with the clutch off is the old flywheel bolted to the engine and a plate in front of it, i am guessing this is the plate i need to send Fourveesix to modify slightly.

Also now that there is a delay with the mounts i won't be able to challenge lifting the engine up til' after my holidays so is there anyting else i should do, maybe fit an lsd, again any recomendations? And how much roughly on getting one?

Ray could i get my gearbox to the man you know just so he can have a look over it and check that everything is ok with it please?:thumbsup:

Also how do you take off the flywheel bolts, i gave them a quick go but it just seems to turn the flywheel when i try turn the bolt?:confused:

I think thats all i am confused about at the minute.

OlberJ
02-08-2008, 09:33
Reeet, now you're down to the nitty gritty where the fun begins!

Clutch, and i'm assuming you're keeping the N/A flywheel and having that modded?

Go for an XTD 5SFE clutch, works out about £100 delivered from the states. Look great quality and have good reports from previous installs.

The flywheel itself you need to send to Tony so he can elongate the holes slightly as the PCD is too small to fit on the 3VZ. Also send him the spacer and he'll match that to your flywheel bolts and give you nice instructions on which way to put it all together :P

LSD you're looking for a UK Mk3 Mr2 gearbox, they all have them but only some non UK ones do, get the UK for a guarantee. You'll then need to take the box and your own box to someone to rebuild it or if you tackle it yourself we can talk you through it but that would be a usefull seperate thread. Price of a Mk3 box is the usual £100-£200.

With the flywheel bolts, if you have an impact wrench (£15.99 out of Aldi's for an electric one that hooks up to a battery if you don't) then use that and they'll come free.

If you don't have one, put a breaker bar with a 19mm socket onto your flywheel pulley bolt at the other end and steady that on the floor or get someone else to hold it while you undo the flywheel bolts.

Or you can get a piece of angle iron and jam the flywheel teeth against a bolt in one of the gearbox casing holes.

Camshaft pulley bolts will need undone before you take the belt off, again impact wrench on them or a big spanner on the camshaft itself, undo the crankshaft pulley and remove that too.

Once you've got that little lot sorted, undo the camshaft caps, place them in the right order, with the cams too, then all the buckets and shims in order (magnet is great for getting the shims and buckets out) then undo the headbolts, check all the rest of the pipes are unbolted from the head (sneaky ones at the corners) and lift off the heads.

99% sure you'll see a rather worn headgasket.

Once you're at that point, check back in and we'll help some more.

MOG7
02-08-2008, 09:39
there is a l o l l y in the post with your name on it olber, seriously cheers, thats everything i wanted to know, top man.

OlberJ
02-08-2008, 09:48
It's alright mate, am just about to head into work to do it on my own engine so it's given me a nice wee refresher on how to go about it.

What you doing about the heads, are you getting them ported too? Worth doing if you can afford it just now.

MOG7
02-08-2008, 10:09
No i won't be porting heads, no money for it, between holidays, insuranc renewal and a few other things i can't do much. I have a mechanic coming around while i'm on holidays to do the headgasket and bolts and water pump and just to give the engne a quick look over to make sure all is good.

I'm off now to pick up an engine stand so i get get that engine into a place where it can be worked on properly.:jump:

MOG7
05-08-2008, 22:44
Crap, got home from work earlier and because i have been pretty much away from home since Thursday i find out my dad wants to take a coule trailers of brickets into the garage so i have to move the car out of the way. It was up about 3 feet off the ground on blocks so i had to put all the subframe, driveshafts etc. back on, a lot of work when its a while since i took it all off and had to find all the small pieces. Brakes were a cock to put back on so i just cable tied them to keep them safe, i think i'm going to need reconned ones anyways. Took me and my dad around 3 hours to move the car 10 feet out of the way lol

I suppose i can look at it as a bit of practice for a couple weeks time.

SlipSlide
05-08-2008, 23:09
Mark I meant to contact you today but was up to my ears, never got a chance to talk to that fellow about the gearbox. Is it still where it was a few weeks ago if so I am passing that way tomorrow could pick it up and drop it into him to check it out. Text me cause I am going offline in a minute.

SlipSlide
07-08-2008, 13:53
Right gearbox is with Mr Gearbox fixer dude, I need the chassis no. should he have to order parts. He said he should know by friday what if anything is needed.

MOG7
07-08-2008, 15:01
Super work Ray, i had a look for my book this morning but was in a rush so couldn't find it, i'll get it after work and pass on the number, i'm on holidays from next thursday for a week, so there isn't any real rush but if anything is needed i can pay before i head off. Cheers Ray

SlipSlide
27-08-2008, 12:13
The gearbox is done, I will collect it on Saturday morning after I get the 4 wheel alignment done on me ditchfinder. Will drop it down to you sat evening if you are around.

Could I collect the exhaust from you then, was going to try and have it on the car for the run on the 7th as well as the springs all replaced so I can actually drive the car with some venom.

MOG7
27-08-2008, 13:09
Ye sounds good Ray, i'll have the money waiting for ya so no worries.

Build has slowed down a bit cause of money and i'm jsut so busy, looks like i might be off to Garda Training in November to so 200 quid a week for a couple years :(

rwilson_ie
25-09-2008, 21:03
Well just got a quote on a v6 Camry, its about the same as my n/a insurance, slightly cheaper even! So thats a good sign surely...

Sorry - am only catching back up on this thread - did you get a quote on a V6 in a Camry ? or did you tell them that the V^ Camry engine would be in a MR2 !!?

I'll read more tomorrow and catch up on the thread.

P.S. Sold my turbo - was a rocket when I got it sorted - sad to see it go. BUT - bought JohnnyG's Spider :) So, maybe going to V6 it next Spring/Summer :)

First V6 Spider in Ireland - maybe Europe - maybe even the World .... :imslow:

Rob

biteme
25-09-2008, 23:08
You'll be the only V6 Spider in the world, Rob :)

That car is begging for a 1MZ-FE!

MOG7
26-09-2008, 13:01
Sounds great Rob, just waiting on the engine mount now really and then it will be ready to drop in.

You going to do the v6 conversion yourself, shouldn't be to hard if you collect all the parts first:thumbsup:

BSM
27-09-2008, 18:12
Your mount was posted last week mate via royal mail. Worried now you've not got it.

rwilson_ie
28-09-2008, 18:51
You'll be the only V6 Spider in the world, Rob :)

That car is begging for a 1MZ-FE!

Wow - a "world's only" !!!!! I'm liking the sound of that ! as well as liking the looks of the Spider and of course the V6 !!:)

Some decent weather again here this weekend and the Spider is turning heads :)

Rob

rwilson_ie
28-09-2008, 18:54
Sounds great Rob, just waiting on the engine mount now really and then it will be ready to drop in.

You going to do the v6 conversion yourself, shouldn't be to hard if you collect all the parts first:thumbsup:

I'm keeping an eye on yours - earliest I can think about mine is next Spring. I also have to work out how/where I can do it - if I try it in my front driveway - that basically equals divorce :sad:

Rob

OlberJ
28-09-2008, 19:10
Build the engine and then send her off on a long weekend somewhere and get the swap done.

She comes back all happy cos she's had a relaxing weekend and you get a V6 spider.

Sorted. :thumbsup:

SlipSlide
28-09-2008, 19:16
I'm keeping an eye on yours - earliest I can think about mine is next Spring. I also have to work out how/where I can do it - if I try it in my front driveway - that basically equals divorce :sad:

Rob

When do you want to start, give me a shout you can use my garage hopefully have the 1.6 mostly sorted by springtime. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OlberJ
28-09-2008, 19:19
Now there's an awesome offer.

Very TB like Ray. Bravo :clap:

SlipSlide
28-09-2008, 19:27
Now there's an awesome offer.

Very TB like Ray. Bravo :clap:

Oh stop :gay:
:blush: :blush: :blush:
:hijack:
Now lets not highjack Mark's thread anymore before he goes off on one.

biteme
28-09-2008, 19:32
Superb offer that.

Rob, if you do yours, can I come over and have a drive when it's done? :)

rwilson_ie
29-09-2008, 20:02
Yes, it has to be some sort of swap while she is away !

@Slipside - Thanks for the offer - would be half the battle to have somewhere to do the work, Ta :)

@JohnnyG - of course you can come over for a spin - or maybe I'll come over to Liverpool to see your monster when it's built :) :)

Rob

biteme
29-09-2008, 22:16
:D deal :D

rwilson_ie
08-10-2008, 13:11
Slightly off topic in terms of build but related to V6's in Ireland - I popped an email off to Ollie in Sky Insurance. Basically asking him to do up a letter to show why the V6 is a "mature and refined" swap etc :)
If Ollie does it, I'll send on copies to various insurance companies over here and hopefully one will see sense.

I can understand that they may need an engineers report if I done it myself but to ask Toyota to do a report (which Hibernian asked me to do) is ridiculous.

Surely, we can find some engineer over here to sign off on our V6's ;)

Rob

OlberJ
08-10-2008, 17:54
Fucking Hibees. lol

SlipSlide
08-10-2008, 21:23
I should have the power to sort that little request out for you. All above board and probably free as well, they will be beyond reproach. :thumbsup:

Will dig into it for you and confirm over the next couple of days. But I thought Mark had previously got a qoute from Quinn for his completed conversion.

Any input Mark, also when CAN WE START AGAIN, my baby has been born and I am itching to get working on your conversion.
Ray

Toyota to do a report :thumbsup: (which Hibernian asked me to do) is ridiculous. Not so ridiculous with my contacts.

Surely, we can find some engineer over here to sign off on our V6's ;)

Rob

MOG7
09-10-2008, 10:48
Hopefull in the next couple weeks i'll have everything, i kinda have to get a new car as i'm not aloud the families car for much longer... So i'm hopefully going to buy anmr2 turbo in the next couple weeks and then its all go on the v6 swap....

Though the weather is against us badly now :sad:

Oh and i only got a quote on a v6 camry not the swap complete.

SlipSlide
09-10-2008, 11:11
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii72/5lip5lide/yoda_biography_3.jpg

Turning to the darkside you are, Hmmm.

Good luck with getting a turbo, where are you sourcing it, I have only seen dogs of cars over here.

We should only need a couple of days to get engine & box in just need the weather window to open for us.

Hopefull in the next couple weeks i'll have everything, i kinda have to get a new car as i'm not aloud the families car for much longer... So i'm hopefully going to buy anmr2 turbo in the next couple weeks and then its all go on the v6 swap....

Though the weather is against us badly now :sad:

Oh and i only got a quote on a v6 camry not the swap complete.

MOG7
09-10-2008, 11:43
There is a nice looking rev3 on pistonheads that i have a couple people going to look at this weekend to check it out.

There is a rev2 in Meath but seems very expensive for what it is.

Ye hopefully i'll have everything ready and a day and we should get it all in.

rwilson_ie
09-10-2008, 22:43
Cool :thumbsup:

To be honest, I don't think I'll get to start til next Spring.

I'm going to try start up a Home CCTV business over the next month or two. If it takes off, then this will fund my V6 swap and I won't need to send the wife away and do it on the sly ! :)

I've my own house set up and can monitor it from work and have a little 8.9" Asus laptop for demoing on. So, have to get website set up and then look for customers.

Rob

I should have the power to sort that little request out for you. All above board and probably free as well, they will be beyond reproach. :thumbsup:

Will dig into it for you and confirm over the next couple of days. But I thought Mark had previously got a qoute from Quinn for his completed conversion.

Any input Mark, also when CAN WE START AGAIN, my baby has been born and I am itching to get working on your conversion.
Ray

rwilson_ie
21-10-2008, 12:31
Any updates Mark ?

Have you done a rough costing on it all ? incl donor car, shipping costs, engine mounts and everythign else ?

I'm dying to see it all finished :) your Mk2 V6 and Ray's Mk1 V6.

Rob

MOG7
21-10-2008, 16:29
Any updates Mark ?

Have you done a rough costing on it all ? incl donor car, shipping costs, engine mounts and everythign else ?

I'm dying to see it all finished :) your Mk2 V6 and Ray's Mk1 V6.

Rob

Not much Rob, i'm off to England on Saturday to collect a rev3 Turbo so the project is on a slight hold, engine will be totally ready in a few weeks. I have all the costs on a spreadsheet, i'll post up the costs later to give you an idea:thumbsup: