PDA

View Full Version : na fuel pump help

fuffy
26-03-2008, 17:24
hi, due to me putting a derv in my mk 2 i may have to remove the fuel pump, my question is can i leave the pump in the tank or will i have to remove it and replace it with a stack pipe, will it be possible for the deisel too flow thru it as it is" pump will not be switched on " the fuel pump on the motor will do all the sucking , this will save a lot ov hassle if i can leave the pump in, eny help will be helpfull cheers

Paul Woods
26-03-2008, 17:57
did you run the car with the derv in it? or just put it in and realise then?

id take the banjo fitting off the bottom of the fuel filter (best done over a pit) and bridge out FP and B+ in the diagnostic port,switch the ingition on and it will pump all the derv out,then stick £5 worth of petrol in and pump that through as well,change the filter and then fill the tank to the brim with petrol....it will be fine.

weegaz22
26-03-2008, 19:56
did you run the car with the derv in it? or just put it in and realise then?

id take the banjo fitting off the bottom of the fuel filter (best done over a pit) and bridge out FP and B+ in the diagnostic port,switch the ingition on and it will pump all the derv out,then stick £5 worth of petrol in and pump that through as well,change the filter and then fill the tank to the brim with petrol....it will be fine.

i think he means he's put a diesel engine in paul as he is also talking about an injection pump on the engine which a lot of diesels use

on a side note mate, can you not use the return line to suck from?, i would imagine it to be under the fuel level line as if it was above it could cause pump cavitation in bad cases due to masses of air bubbles, not sure about sucking through the original pump

EDIT* you could do as paul said but pull the filter end off, put it lower than the tank level,turn pump on turn off and see if it maintains a siphon?

fuffy
26-03-2008, 20:47
i am putting a deisel motor into the mr2, i have sorted the gearbox linkages out by drilling the fwd corolla gearbox so the shaft comes out the same as the mr2, im useing the corolla deisel gearbox so the diff ratio is rite for the motor" corolla motor + box in the mk 2 mr2" the engine is now ready for fitting ,just needed to know if the deisel pump will suck fuel thru the electric pump in the tank with out the electric pump switched on.

OlberJ
26-03-2008, 21:16
Lodgeman was running an inline pump on his V6 system, not sure if this was running alongside or instead of his tank pump but it worked well.

Conor
26-03-2008, 21:47
What diesel motor are you planning on using? I'm definitely in for the pics on this one :)

TbarTurbo
26-03-2008, 21:48
ooohhhh how similar are the derv boxes to NA mk2 boxes? i quite fancy derv ratios :D

Id suggest running a peice of fuel line to replace the pump, keeping the filter part on in the tank.

Paul Woods
27-03-2008, 07:11
doh! silly me.... got any pics of your progress? sounds a cool build

black_mk1
27-03-2008, 08:57
just needed to know if the deisel pump will suck fuel thru the electric pump in the tank with out the electric pump switched on.

Just checked a standard pump in the garage and can confirm you can suck through the pump and there are no restrictions.

HTH

fuffy
27-03-2008, 23:45
as far as i can see the difference in the na / deisel gear box are na box speedo is cable, starter goes in from the passanger side ov the box, deisel speedo is electronic, starter goes in from drivers side ov the box, splines r the same for the clutch. i will put some pics up as soon as i can work how to post them on here"im thick with a pc lol"

fuffy
27-03-2008, 23:47
a deisel engine revs less than a petrol so im assuming the raitio will be higher in the deisel box