PDA

View Full Version : First steps now taken!

DougieG
18-03-2008, 14:59
Time to introduce myself and ask the first of probably many questions!

I've been toying with the idea of a V6 conversion for a while now and spoke to Paul with regards to having the work done, but have now decided upon which may be the mad move of having a go at the conversion myself.
Most of my initial concerns have been put to rest by digging through all the posts on here and everyone seems to be a helpful lot!!
I was planning on spending a bit more time researching everything and looking out for a Camry at sensible money and then one showed up last Friday local to me with FSH and 100k on the clocks at a price that couldn't be missed, so plan to drive it for a month or so and get everything else together.

Just a couple of questions:
1:Which type of induction kit to people tend to use.
2:Saw it somewhere but can't find it again, can someone advise who modifies the flywheels as required?

Apologies for the long winded post, more questions to come as work progresses!

Dougie

phd68
18-03-2008, 17:17
:welcome: Dougie. Well done on the choice to go down the V6 route. Best advice I can give is to keep trawling the posts here, there is a hell of a lot of good info amongst these pages, you just need to filter out whats important to you. The D.I.Y route is feasable as you will see from some of the build threads on here. Be prepared for it taking longer than you expect (depending on your mechanical/electrical abilities) and may cost you more than you think. I reckon by the time i've got mine on the road fully running, I wont be far short of spending what it would cost you at Woodsport:eek2: For service and quality you wont get better than P.W doing your conversion. However, if you have an interest in mechanics and get satisfaction from learning and achiving new skills, you would get a lot out of the D.I.Y route.
I've basically spent EVERY weekend and some evenings at my swap since New Years eve and am currently very close to starting her up for the first timelol

Tony (fourveesix) is the man to see about your flywheel - you will need an engine mount off him as well but i'd be quick because i think hes about to wind down his production:eek2:

As for induction kits, i'd worry about that near the end. Personal choice really - check out build threads to see what others are using.

Good luck

P.S - people love pics on this site!!

leet
18-03-2008, 19:48
I would also like to know what induction kit to use. Do i need some sort of adaptor or a particular size?

Garbe
18-03-2008, 20:58
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-86-94-Celica-87-91-Camry-Air-Intake-MAF-Adapter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQca tegoryZ33659QQihZ008QQitemZ180223541798QQrdZ1QQssp agenameZWD2V

something like this about £7 to attach to the AFM, then you bolt your choice of filter onto it.

in the UK, a bit more expensive
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Inlet-Adaptor-2-BMW-Mazda-Nissan-Toyota-Lexus-VW_W0QQitemZ360033774991QQihZ023QQcategoryZ36680QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would go for a apexi filter, as the info I have found, it provides the best filteration and flow rate, see below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Apexi-Power-Intake-Air-Filter-Universal-GD3-CD9A_W0QQitemZ290206624469QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36680 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem

but you will also need the apexi filter mounting, this attaches to the filter and not the AFM like the above adaptor whihc attaches to the car's AFM, so don't confuse the two.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APEXi-POWER-INTAKE-AIR-FILTER-ADAPTER-UNIVERSAL-FITTING_W0QQitemZ130179165156QQihZ003QQcategoryZ12 2140QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1 247QQcmdZViewItem

So you will need
AFM adaptor
Apexi filter
Apexi filter mount

HTH

leet
18-03-2008, 21:33
cheers Garbe, i should be able to knock one of those aluminium adaptors up without too much trouble

OlberJ
18-03-2008, 22:12
Mine came with the adaptor for the filter.

Paul Woods
19-03-2008, 07:17
hi dougie,its a very rewarding experience doing it yourself,rest assured all the help and advice you need to do it at home is here mate.

Tony (fourveesix) mods the flywheels too but im not sure if hes winding that up as well,drop him a pm :thumbsup:

Any filter will fit the v6 AFM with an adapter

DougieG
19-03-2008, 08:30
Thanks everyone, I've roped in my mate who's a mechanic so we figured we'll manage, time will tell! I do feel that I'll be more satisfied by it if I've had a bigger hand in doing the work.
I'll send Tony a pm about the flywheel, cheers.

Phd66: "P.S - people love pics on this site!!" Don't worry there'll be plenty once the real work starts!

OlberJ
19-03-2008, 10:50
Welcome Dougie.

Where abouts up here are you?

DougieG
19-03-2008, 13:21
Welcome Dougie.

Where abouts up here are you?

Montrose, roughly half way between Aberdeen/Dundee on the coast.

OlberJ
19-03-2008, 13:31
Nice one, there's a few folk local-ish, up in the deen and in Fife.

Get yourself along to a meet and have a swatch at the current projects and a natter.

Any pics of the victim, i.e your car?

Rosssco
19-03-2008, 14:43
Montrose, roughly half way between Aberdeen/Dundee on the coast.

Ah not far from me Dougie, must pop over and show me how to do it (once you've successfully completed your swap of course)..;)

Aberdeen wise, there is one guy with a completed swap (Mark / Portgordon - Woodsport completed), and myself (just got a hold of the engine a few weeks ago, but done nothing as yet).

Cheers,
Ross

OlberJ
19-03-2008, 14:56
Lee's up there too.

DougieG
19-03-2008, 15:20
Does Lee post on Pistonheads? I think he's going to a PH meet in April and was wanting to have a good look at his then.

Good to know theres a few more locals though!

I'll get some pics when I'm on my home computer, white 95 though, done approx 40k, but not really moved the last couple of years since I moved into my own house. Couldn't get inspired to use it until recently, then was going to just fix up the brakes etc and use it for a while then a Camry came along and now can't wait to get started. Just arranging the use of a garage and not going to be able to leave it there for long so wanting to get everything ready and sourced so hopefully no hold ups once I start.

OlberJ
19-03-2008, 15:39
Aye, that's our Ug_Lee. Have a look in the Woodsports project forum for his brief.

Mk2 is a fairly straight forward swap, should have yourself on the road in no time :thumbsup:

Lee
19-03-2008, 21:18
Hi Dougie!

Welcome to twobrutal.

That's me on Pistonheads. I'm still hoping to attend the April drive that's been organised, however it depends what's happening workwise at short notice. Definitely don't want to miss it after last years turnout, was fantastic! Give me a shout and you can have a good look over the car!

And Olie, I live in Irvine, just work up in Aberdeen! lol

OlberJ
19-03-2008, 21:57
You live in Irvine?

Feck me. lol