PDA

View Full Version : Force feeding my 1mzfe any advice??

Johnny P.
17-11-2005, 00:44
I just picked up a camry supercharger for my 1mzfe aw11 project. Any of you guys tried a turbo or a blower on one of these things yet? The temps out here just dropped below zero and the snow is falling so I figure its time to pull out the perfectly good 4 banger and proceed with transplantation.

superchargedsam
17-11-2005, 11:20
cool project fella ! where you at then if its snowing already ?

Paul Woods
17-11-2005, 18:12
sounds like a super cool project johnny,my mate has a 1mz powered mk2 with TRD SC bolted to it and running 5psi quite happily,sadly though the TRD kit cant be intercooled so without water injection you are limited to 5 or 6 psi without causing det problems.

The 3vz makes a better candidate for applying boost,im in the middle of strapping two TD04's to my 3vz having previously made a SC conversion for it...gotta be cooled in my opinion.

Can we see some pics of your car and engine? sounds like a fantastic project! im guessing you are in USA?

Johnny P.
17-11-2005, 21:57
Im in Minnesota, last week I was riding my supermoto this week Im sharpening my shovel. Im planing on running the stock pully on this engine due to the high comp. I was thinking about the turbo route but this car is so clean I dont want to cut it up too much.

Anybody have any good or bad experiences with SDS or Electromotive engine management? I have not yet purchased a set up but I am looking.

Paul Woods
18-11-2005, 06:22
well you wont need an aftermarket ecu to run 5psi,theres stock mapping for that.Or is the plan to tune it further in the future?

When you say you dont want to cut it up too much you are aware that part or all of the rear firewall needs to come out?

Johnny P.
18-11-2005, 22:22
Not affraid of some chopping under the trunk, the pulley setup for the supercharger is going to be the bigger project.

Im going stand alone for both future engines and I really like being able to change things without a check engine light coming on. Maybe Im just too used to all my carburated / distributor equipped rides and not being able to leave well enough alone.

A question not engine related to you Paul, with the work you have done do you consider the MkIII struts the way to go suspension or should I just cut my struts and fit some shorter dampers with a coil over kit?
Thanks for the help!!! I am pulling my 4age out this weekend.

Paul Woods
19-11-2005, 07:34
well the mk3 coilovers are excellent bit of kit but not suitable for the road in my opinion,far too hard and even on the softest settings i couldnt move the suspension,ideal for the track though!

A lot of us are using koni shox and various springs,they are up to the job all right.

Totally agree with you on the check engine light,the 1mz is OBD2 which is horrible to wire up so standalone with that is probably a better way to go,watching this one with interest.

Johnny P.
20-11-2005, 02:46
I removed the slimmy 1.6 from my car today, no going back now. Just have to get my blower in the mail so I can start making a drive setup. Thanks for the help on the struts Paul I think the Konis with a set of Ground Control coils will be going in this spring.

Paul Woods
20-11-2005, 08:57
good stuff,lets have plenty of install pics.

Johnny P.
23-11-2005, 23:30
I got my blower in the mail today, Injectors on the way and a friend is getting me a turbo fuel pump at cost. Looks like I will be getting that fuel tank out this weekend.
This may be a real dumb question but do fuel injectors have polarity when it comes to the wiring?
Looks like Nissan twin cam injector o-rings will fit the intake with a little taken off the outside edge. Have any of you guys fit different injectors on the v-6?

Paul Woods
24-11-2005, 06:38
your stock 1mz injectors are fine for the SC,you cant run more than 5 or 6 psi anyway so you already have the fuelling for that with the stock injectors.

The reason the 1mz is restricted to 5 psi is for a few reasons,it has no dizzy so you cant pull the timing back as boost goes up=more risk of det...it has a 10.5:1 CR compared to the 3vz 9.5:1 so again more prone to det and thirdly the intake temps running the sc above 5psi make it very prone to det unless you use some form of WI because you cant intercool the SC set up which is a shame.

So basically you are pretty much restricted to running 5 psi,i suppose you could add more fuel,that would help prevent det up to a point.

But trust me,my mate has a 1mz SC mk2 running 4psi,its so fast and torquey its scary! now take away 300kgs in your mk1,you really dont want to be tuning much further to be honest!

What size tyres/rims you using for this johnny?

edit:all of the above is presuming you will be using 95oct fuel @ 5psi.

MRV6
13-03-2006, 20:31
Hi mate, on the standrd ecu you can only go to 4 psi. Going above 4 psi I've been told that the standard injectors are hitting there limits. Standard supra injectors fit and are a cheap and easily found upgrades. I would also urge water injection if running any higher than 5 psi, as previously pointed out the 1mz engine internals aren't as strong as the 3 vz's and the w.i. will help to cool the charge. Thats what's holding me back I have a 6 psi pulley and it's killing me not putting it on the car but at the end of the day I just can't afford to upgrade the car to spec required to run it. Having said that when you put your'e sc on it's gonna put a big smile on your'e face esp in a mk1 the tourqe you will have, your'e car will pull like Brad Pitt in a convent.

Johnny P.
13-03-2006, 22:42
I actually did go with stock 440cc supra injectors and nissan 240sx o-rings that I turned down to fit the 1mzfe. I fired the engine up last weekend and it sounds great, cant tune yet due to lack of exhaust and 9 inches of snow that fell last night!

Two questions about your v6 mkII, are you running stand alone, and what transmission are you using?

I went with a SDS system and have a na mkII trans and shafts.

MRV6
13-03-2006, 23:52
I sourced a camry non theft ecu from the states and I'm running with the mk2 tubby e-153 gearbox, driveshafts and hubs.

weegaz22
15-03-2006, 07:13
just out of interest paul but why cant you intercool the charge from the SC? space issues? pipe work routing?

Paul Woods
15-03-2006, 07:37
the SC sits between throttle and the head ports,so its outlet bolts right onto the engine,simply nowhere for an IC to go,most fit WI as a solution.

I suppose you could remote fit a SC,then you could IC it,but the TRD charger just wont allow an IC.

Johnny P.
19-03-2006, 09:41
I built my exhaust today!! Man that flowmaster sounds sweet. Cant wait to hear that blower whine on the road.
Should be able to start tuning next week ( the snow is melting!!! ) Paul, I will try and send you a video if I get a minute next week.

J.P.