PDA

View Full Version : Gasket gone between cylinders

Sponge Bob
15-03-2008, 20:13
After some research and a day of fault-finding, it appears that my injectors are fine - it's the gasket between the dizzy end cylinders that I supsect has blown...

Compression test was 30 on both of the end two, and 170 for the belt end two...

All cylinders getting spark, fuel, car will run - but very roughly, and wheezes heavily when being turned over...

SO, presuming I'm correct - how much will it cost to do a HG at somewhere like 3S...? :confused:

Marksman
15-03-2008, 20:39
Seems a fairly definitive test to me Ash, but on the bright side at least now you know. Hope the fix goes to plan and you're back on the road soon.

Owen.

Sponge Bob
15-03-2008, 20:48
Seems a fairly definitive test to me Ash, but on the bright side at least now you know. Hope the fix goes to plan and you're back on the road soon.

Owen.

Yeah, me to bud - just have no patience to do it myself anymore lol

Marksman
15-03-2008, 20:50
Says the man who wore gloves and an Arthur Dent dressing gown when grinding! :slap: No interest in doing it yourself? T'will be off to the pink pages for you in no time...

O.S.

weegaz22
15-03-2008, 21:05
way i look at it sponge bob is if i have to pay someone to do it then thats less cash to go into the car, the £300 or so you would pay for labour could go towards things like ARP head studs, uprated steel headgasket etc

millentubby
15-03-2008, 21:33
If you pay someone else to do it you lose out on the knowledge you'll gain by doing it yourself!

Sponge Bob
15-03-2008, 21:57
I did the head gasket when I built it in the first place (which explains it failing lol so little knowledge to be gained - just frustration and anger!!

I'm getting a quote from 3S at the moment, so I'll see how that fares, if it's a little to feisty then I'll just have to do it myself (as transport will cost as well!)

Another option is to send her to the guru? How much would it cost to transport a car from Bedford to Durham? Transcar are damn good so I'd have Richard take it for sure!

Jiff Lemon
15-03-2008, 22:22
**cough**

Looks at phone

Doesn't see any messages from sponge bob

shakes head in digust.

Come on bob, you know the bucks/beds massive would gladly throw spanners around whilst mrs bob makes the tea.

Sponge Bob
15-03-2008, 23:10
Well in my defence Jeff, I've only come to this conclusion today, and I really hadn't though about doing it myself, let alone drafting in the hire help too! :)

Hmm...maybe we could tackle it - seen as it's easter - how are you sorted for this Friday? :scratchy chin man: I could try and get some head bolts & gasket off the bay asap.

rattymr2
16-03-2008, 21:05
go for a 1.0mm Cometic gasket and the ARP bolts. should be around 200 quid from GTSChris

Jiff Lemon
17-03-2008, 12:53
I see a plan forming....

Bob and BSM can twirl Spanners.
Ratty can give orders

I'll sit inside with a cup of tea and gossip with Mrs Bob

:thumbsup:

OlberJ
17-03-2008, 13:06
The rest of us will all look at the vid of your 1st test run Bob and give you some moral support an all.

"Go Team Bob!"

rattymr2
17-03-2008, 16:36
Ash doesn't do tea. so as senior coffee drinker i will have to sit in with Mrs Bob to be.

Sponge Bob
17-03-2008, 23:36
Hmm - a plan forming indeed (not quite as you describe though chaps)... I'll order the steel gasket and some head bolts tomorrow and will clear up the garage in prep - will give you lot a call in the week :thumbsup:

Sponge Bob
21-03-2008, 20:00
Woo - my diagnosis was (finally) as expected... HG blown between the end cylinders causing decompression!!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/03/294.jpg

Head and all surrounding bits off in an afternoon...

Only me & Robin working, not sure what happened to Jiff & Ratty :poke2: :smack:

The head bolts were very loose too for some reason?

OlberJ
21-03-2008, 20:38
causing decompression!!

Whenever i read that word it makes me think of the Mathew Johnson song of the same name. What a freaking tune that is.

Anywho's glad you've got to the root of the problem.

Are you uprating the HG at all Ash?

Sponge Bob
21-03-2008, 21:13
I've gone for a cheeky metal cometics one... :) should hopefully be more difficult to blast through the cylinders now lol

OlberJ
21-03-2008, 21:24
mmmm, it'll be the liners before the gasket now :thumbsup:

weegaz22
22-03-2008, 17:13
did you torque up the new stretch bolts correctly when you installed them the last time bob? not sure what the correct procedure is on the 3sgte, be it tighten to torque spec then an additional 45 or 90 degrees, also working from centre out for each bolt etc?