PDA

View Full Version : Got started today

Nige_B
14-03-2008, 21:06
Although I don't yet have a Camry, I thought I'd get started on the shell. So I stripped out the interior! My god the rear carpet and seats weigh a ton! Took me all of about half an hour of just ripping things out and throwing them accross the garden (narrowly avoiding the chickens), meanwhile my housemates were looking at me and shaking thier heads. What?? :eh: lol

Was surprised to find that I had an onboard swimming pool in the passenger footwell too! Perfect timing with summer just around the corner :hehe: . Managed to track the leak back to the sunroof, wasn't that difficult seeing as there were big blobs of mould on the roof lining! :roll: (how the hell I didn't notice before I don't know!). Not a big worry as the sunroof is getting ripped out and plated anyway. Also found that a repair had been done in the same footwell. It has been patched and had seam sealer applied in the outer corner of the footwell. Not sure if this is a damage repair or corrosion? Is this a common place for tin worm? Unfortunately don't have a camera so can't put any pics up at the mo.

Anyway, with this still being my daily runner (not for much longer) I didn't go too mad. Next job is to start slimming down the loom. Anyone have any tips for this? (what to and what not to rip out?). Don't think I need the heater anymore so that can go, stereo can go, spare wheel etc etc. Just want to do as much as I can while still being able to drive it. Should be getting my company car in a month or so, then it's storage for the MR2 and the hunt begins for the donor :thumbsup: .

Does anyone have a stripped out MK1.6? Took it out for a spin with the 4age and it was amazing, really nimble! Best, and cheapest mod I've ever done! However I can't even imagine what it's going to be like with the V6...... In fact, yes I do... Bloody LOUD!!! :twisted:

Jiff Lemon
14-03-2008, 22:10
Mines in a semi stripped state; Lost the sound deadening from the floors and rear bulkhead, removed the underfelt but then but the wafer thin carpets back in. The seats (all 18kilo's of them) went in the bin too to be replaced by lightweight Racing seats.

It surprisingly civilised in there still!

Nige_B
14-03-2008, 22:32
Cool, have you ever weighed it? Would like to know what the distribution is. We will hopefully be getting a setup floor soon (with a scale for each corner) so will be setting mine up on there hopefully.

OlberJ
14-03-2008, 23:37
Sat and read this, then realised....another Mk1.6 on the cards. woohoo :thumbsup:

Nige_B
15-03-2008, 10:38
:mrgreen: Yeah was a tough decision between the 3sgte and the 3vzfe. However the possibility of a SC just swayed it for me.

I can't get cracking on it for a few months now as we have other, more important projects on. So in the mean time I'm on the hunt for parts, just need to find a good camry. Are the n/a box's with mk3 LSD and Camry 5th cheap enough to do? Also are the Mk3 LSD's easy to come by?

Will update my membership as soon as I get some money too :P

OlberJ
15-03-2008, 13:01
Mk3 box probably about £100, Camry 5th gear is lookin about the same (Might be able to get cheaper, this was jus from a breakers quote) and £100 for the N/A box.

£300-350 all in, as long as no other gears need replaced, although it's usually the synchro in 5th that goes so if you're replacing that, should be fine.

Nige_B
16-03-2008, 09:41
That's not bad at all! So do all mk3's have lsd?

snowtigger
16-03-2008, 22:04
apparently so but getting hold of a good working mk3 lsd maybe hard and u will have to buy a full mk3 gearbox, paul bought 2 for a couple of hundred but both were shot dont know about the lsd though?.

sixafterfour
16-03-2008, 23:36
seats are 31lbs each
and all the interior is 42lbs (not including dash, seatbelts, and seats)