PDA

View Full Version : My twobrutal candidate

leet
14-03-2008, 19:33
Hi guys, just thought i'd show you a couple of pics of my MR2/murcielago project. I haven't had time to finish the V6 conversion as i have been busy with the rest of the project. Just need to connect up the pipework and do the tacho mod now though. I know some of the hardcore mr2 fans will hate this but each to their own :)
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/DSCF0005.JPG
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/ere.JPG

tom1mr2
14-03-2008, 19:46
That thing is stunning ! you must get more pics and details up mate :thumbsup: i love it !

Have you even moved the rear suspension back as well?
Stunning car and a engine to suite it.

OlberJ
14-03-2008, 19:46
Bloody brilliant i reckon.

Paul Woods
14-03-2008, 19:47
cor! now that IS brutal! you've got to keep us updated with build pics on this one mate....

leet
14-03-2008, 19:47
That thing is stunning ! you must get more pics and details up mate :thumbsup: i love it !

Have you even moved the rear suspension back as well?
Stunning car and a engine to suite it.
Yep engine and rear axle etc etc has been moved back the required 10.5" to get the exact murcielago wheelbase. This is the Uk's if not the worlds first 100% accurate replica Murcielago

leet
14-03-2008, 19:50
Here's a few more. Please be aware though that the panels are just laid and clamped on here and not lined up or bonded yet
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/DSCF0014.JPG
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/DSCF0006.JPG
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/DSCF0024.JPG
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/54584.JPG

OlberJ
14-03-2008, 19:51
Are you gonna space out the rear or will the suspension be moved out too?

leet
14-03-2008, 19:52
A couple more of the framework before the install of panels
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/232.jpg
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/jj.jpg
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/DSCF0003.JPG

leet
14-03-2008, 19:53
Are you gonna space out the rear or will the suspension be moved out too?
Spaced out to begin with but i'm hoping to get a widetrack suspension set up eventually. Don't forget the Murcielago wheels are 13" with a 335/30/18 tyre too lol

leet
14-03-2008, 19:59
There's some more random pics in here. Link seems dead at the moment though
http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/lee2sare

Garbe
14-03-2008, 20:09
Now this is going to be an intresting build thread, I did see the kit a while ago.

GaryA
14-03-2008, 20:43
I take my hat off to you , what a huge project - a real challenge by the look of it . Will be cool seeing this turn into a supercar :thumbsup:

Jiff Lemon
14-03-2008, 22:13
:rozzer: Picture police :rozzer:

Can we resize those images a little please? 1024x768 max!

Apart from that, all looking good!

jasper
15-03-2008, 00:00
I know some of the hardcore mr2 fans will hate this but each to their own
Not on here mate, the more brutal the better. That's going to be a cracker, do it justice.

millentubby
15-03-2008, 00:46
That's BRUTAL!

I'm usually not a fan of replicas...but that metalwork...and the fact you're really carving up that mk2...I love it!

Keep the progress pics coming :cool:

leet
15-03-2008, 09:21
Thanks for all the positive comments. This will cost me a fortune in the end but a real labour of love. The murcielago is my dream car and i'll never be able to afford the real deal so to me this is the next best thing. Also i mess aroun with cars for a hobby so couldn't be happier at the moment
Jiff, i'll resize the pics later on for you

Goldy
16-03-2008, 12:40
Great project, can't wait to see this finished.... keep up the good work!

nik
16-03-2008, 15:00
holy shit..!!
lovely project..as already pointed out, no negativity from the bunch on here..
looking forward to updates on this one...
:brill:

snowtigger
16-03-2008, 21:57
i was thinking of one of these at the kit car show at donnington but then i got bitten by the mk1 bug, but a v8 rear engined mk2 could be doable then u would get similair bhp to weight ratio .
more updates please and photos of work in progress also where did u buy the kit and how much cheers mike.

leet
17-03-2008, 07:20
i was thinking of one of these at the kit car show at donnington but then i got bitten by the mk1 bug, but a v8 rear engined mk2 could be doable then u would get similair bhp to weight ratio .
more updates please and photos of work in progress also where did u buy the kit and how much cheers mike.
The kit is from Extreme and not by any means cheap at £10k for just the fibreglass and framework. On top of this you have interior, wheels, lights, grills, badges, wiper motors, door and bonnet latches/catches, door/boot/bonnet hinges, glass, door and window mouldings, weather strip,etc etc

Garbe
17-03-2008, 08:05
Leet, whats your budget for this project?

OlberJ
17-03-2008, 11:39
With the suspension moved back there'll be plenty room in there for a V8!

leet
17-03-2008, 16:33
Leet, whats your budget for this project?
I haven't really got a budget to be honest. I reckon it will be on the road for around £22k :freak3:

leet
24-03-2008, 16:33
Finally got another couple of hours on the car today and thought i'd concentrate on getting the V6 swap finished. Got a couple of questions as always
Do i connect the live feed from the mr2 wiring loom to my v6 starter or the live from the camry wiring loom? Surely the one from the mr2 wiring loom as this is direct from the battery?? but not sure to be honest so thought i'd ask before starting to investigate further
The heater matrix pipes, does it matter which way around they go?
Does anyone know where the link for modifying the circuit board on the rear of the tacho is?
Thanks ..Lee

Paul Woods
24-03-2008, 17:27
hi lee,connect the mr2 main battery live to the v6 starter....ignore the v6 starter main cable,we remove those from the harness.

Heater pipes dont matter,either way will do

If you stick the camry tacho board into the mr2 clocks it will get the tacho reading better than with the mr2 board but still not perfect.I think the link to the modified circuit board is on mr2board.com

leet
24-03-2008, 18:48
hi lee,connect the mr2 main battery live to the v6 starter....ignore the v6 starter main cable,we remove those from the harness.

Heater pipes dont matter,either way will do

If you stick the camry tacho board into the mr2 clocks it will get the tacho reading better than with the mr2 board but still not perfect.I think the link to the modified circuit board is on mr2board.com
Thanks Paul, appreciated yet again. :thumbsup: Alongside the V6 starter cable there is a small plug, i take it that this stays? Do you completely remove all the redundant v6 plugs and diagnostics box, autobox plugs, ps plugs etc?

leet
24-03-2008, 18:59
Thanks Paul, appreciated yet again. :thumbsup: Alongside the V6 starter cable there is a small plug, i take it that this stays? Do you completely remove all the redundant v6 plugs and diagnostics box, autobox plugs, ps plugs etc?
Also it is the circuit board replacement link that i was after. After stripping them down it looks straight forward enough

Paul Woods
24-03-2008, 19:23
yeah the small starter energiser lead stays,and you will be hooking the mr2 starter relay up to it in the boot.

We remove the auto box plugs too and generally tidy the harness as best we can

leet
25-03-2008, 18:22
Right done an hour after work today and a couple more questions.
The two large 60A and 100A fuses, are they needed? I read somewhere that they weren't but started tracing the wires back and they seem to tee off here there and everywhere including going to the alternator.

Diagnostics box on camry loom, is this disposed of?

I could sort all these bits eventually but would really appreciate hearing from someone who has already done it as my time is very limited at the moment :)
Thanks ..Lee

Paul Woods
25-03-2008, 18:33
no you can ditch the two large fuses,not needed mate.

Keep the camry diagnostic connector,you will need that for pulling fault codes and setting your timing up

leet
25-03-2008, 18:40
no you can ditch the two large fuses,not needed mate.

Keep the camry diagnostic connector,you will need that for pulling fault codes and setting your timing up
To the rescue again Paul :thumbsup: Where do these wires terminate at for these fuses? Am i right in saying they go to the alternator? and the old camry dash power up connector block? I don't want to remove something that may be needed and then cost me more time in the long run

Paul Woods
25-03-2008, 19:01
just dig them out of the harness and chop the thick whites and thick black wire off the main loom,they arent needed.

leet
25-03-2008, 19:09
cheers Paul, can't wait to fire this thing up. Hopefully if i'm not working and i finish the main waterpipes it will be ready to turn over at the weekend.
Paul, do you know anyone that can make me a new hydraulic clutch hose? I need a braided one which is 10" longer than stock
thanks ...lee

Paul Woods
25-03-2008, 19:35
why do you need a longer one?

leet
25-03-2008, 19:49
why do you need a longer one?
my engine has been moved back 10.5"

Paul Woods
26-03-2008, 07:07
ah yes of course it has.... you could always move the hard line mounting point closer to the engine on a bracket?

you may well have other issues here,your gear cables will be too short,but you can easily extend them at the stick end,also your throttle cable will be short,thats going to be tricky as the outer cable will need extending.

Also is this a rev1 donor mr2 with a mechanical speedo drive? your speedo cable will also be too short.You can get round that by converting the dash to electronic speedo if it isnt already.

leet
26-03-2008, 07:15
ah yes of course it has.... you could always move the hard line mounting point closer to the engine on a bracket?

you may well have other issues here,your gear cables will be too short,but you can easily extend them at the stick end,also your throttle cable will be short,thats going to be tricky as the outer cable will need extending.

Also is this a rev1 donor mr2 with a mechanical speedo drive? your speedo cable will also be too short.You can get round that by converting the dash to electronic speedo if it isnt already.
Hi Paul, i've already done the gear selector extensions, 10 minute job. The mechanical speedo cable reaches with no problem. I haven't tried the throttle cable yet but i know it didn't need extending for the 3sge so i'm hoping it would reach the V6 without too much trouble. I could move the hard line for the clutch closer i suppose but thought getting a longer flex with overbraid would be the easier solution?

Paul Woods
26-03-2008, 07:49
yeah a new flexi line is probably the easier way,theres a company that makes custom ones but i cant find the link...

MRDrift2
02-04-2008, 12:44
OMG!!!!!!! :eek2:

Love this conversion!! its proper mentalist and unlike sum of the cheaper ferrari style kits its very convincing!!

Im REALLY glad to see it getting the respect it deserves on Tb!! :thumbsup:

I love the idea of building rep/kitcars, i once toy'd with the extreme ferrari 355 kits, but theres way too many people out there happy to just bolt on the cheap and cheerful kits..

consquently now ya average joe public dont give the real mcCoys any respect at all...because people declare them crap before even looking!!

Theres a hella lot work involved in project on this scale and you have to respect someone for that!!

cant wait to see thins thing up and running..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!........

Make a descent quality video of it once finished.. a nice show around the car, and a couple of "fly-by" styled video footage aswell as maybe an in-car experience would be awsome!!!

Tell you what tho.... :idea:

after seeing pics of the chopped MR2 with the rollcage styled frame work,
i'd love to see sum nut do that, and not bother with the lambo kit...

instead you could add a small perspex screen, a custom stack styled carbon fibre dash, lil race mirrors etc...and build your own Ariel ATOM styled mr2 based - Go kart!! now that would be Cool!!!

Tom :thumbsup:

OlberJ
02-04-2008, 13:15
Like a Naked LaBala?

Graber Cars (http://www.grabercars.com/)

It sure shifts with just the wee 4age in it. Think what that'd be like with a grunty V6 in the hole. :cool:

MRDrift2
02-04-2008, 14:34
YES MATE!!!!!

Now we talking! :thumbsup:

thats areally good find, never seen that before....looks awsome!!

If my 2 wern't so bloody pretty id be introducing it to my chopsy lil friend>...

:woc:

Hahahahahaha

Any1 wanna donate me a '2' to make one of these mentalist cars with??? lol

Your right tho mate..can you imagine that with a supercharged v6 woodsy special!!?

Result!!!!

Bring on the 'TB' Go kart!! lol

organise a TB Track day...charge £15-20 FOR A 10 Minute stint around the track and that puppy would pay for itself!! ;)

Come on!!!! lol

Tom :thumbsup:

OlberJ
02-04-2008, 15:22
That was Jiff's find chief, the praise goes to him.

We planned to do a super lightweight Mr2 at some point, strip off all the panels and remake it low and light as hell.

Have a look in the Mk1 forum, we talked about it a fair bit there.

Still fancy doing one next winter. Start out with the 4age then upgrade to the V6 or even V8 at a later date.

Defo just a track/Hillclimb/Autotest car.

OlberJ
05-07-2008, 13:06
Any progress with this Leet?