PDA

View Full Version : Battery problems perhaps.

msherry21
12-03-2008, 13:40
Hi all, right I've managed to wire up the 3sgte again, everything seems to be where it should. the battery seems to be drained, I've tried jumping it with my mums MG but all I get is the starter clicking away, sometimes I don't even get that.

Is the starter stuffed?

Am I not getting enough power from the MG's battery? Do i get the same power with jumping a car as I would by putting one directly into my car?

Should I try and get hold of another battery? Anyone lend a hand on this one?

cheers for any info folks!

Michael.

Paff
12-03-2008, 13:41
Make sure all the earths are in place, has the 3s got one to connect the gearbox to the chassis and is it a clean contact, that might be all the problem

Garbe
12-03-2008, 14:05
If he only disassembled the top end, then I don't think he would have removed the big earth cable.
Try getting a decent battery, is your's comlpetely nackered or could you charge it over night.

Try a gentle push start, icase anything might be ceased and too much for the starter.

msherry21
12-03-2008, 14:28
how do I charge a car battery, where do I get a car battery charger from?

Might be worth getting one anyway.

MartG
12-03-2008, 14:54
where do I get a car battery charger from?

Halfords, any motor factor, Tesco....

biteme
12-03-2008, 15:08
how do I charge a car battery, where do I get a car battery charger from?

Might be worth getting one anyway.

Halfords have some good booster packs mate. About 75 quids for the top end with plug, light, compressor and holds enough juice to power you through about 10 jump starts.

jasper
12-03-2008, 15:27
Halfords have some good booster packs mate. About 75 quids for the top end with plug, light, compressor and holds enough juice to power you through about 10 jump starts.
Depending on which you buy, some are no good if your battery is completely fucked though as the battery has to have a minimum charge (1.5v I think) or the pack won't switch on. Yeah! I fell for it... Good bit of kit, just no good at the time. They even have an idiot override in case you connect the terminals the wrong way.

OlberJ
12-03-2008, 15:31
AV got a charger i can lend you chief.

Defo sounds like the battery is goosed, if it's been sitting drained for a while it'll no have enough oomph.

msherry21
12-03-2008, 15:46
went out and bought a charger. I have 2 batteries. the charger says they are both fully charged...can't be right, one's been in the car since last July(when it was taken off the road) and the clifford alarm has been armed the whole time..It MUST be flat!

I've ripped out my voltmeter gauge and gonna strap it to the batteries to see what it reads......

Tom G
12-03-2008, 15:57
if a battery is completely flat a charger struggles to get it going.... needs to be jump started with good jump leads, left running for a bit, then charge it.
Chances are it'll be buggered and you;ll need to get a new one anyway. I often use scrappers, get a tested/charged one for a tenner

msherry21
12-03-2008, 16:08
That sounds like a grand idea Tom, I'll get down the scrappers tomorrow if nothing comes of this.

Nice one fella.

biteme
12-03-2008, 16:57
Just leave it running for 20 mins or so first mate let some charge trickle through.

Oh and close all doors and the boot etc to make sure there's no residual current drain when you're charging :P