PDA

View Full Version : Polybushes

phd68
23-02-2008, 19:36
Bought one of these:

http://www.polyurethanebushes.com/product_info.php/cPath/127_130/products_id/345

for my front engine mount as a cheaper alternative to sourcing a turbo mount. But i'm buggered if it will fit. The instructions say no presses are required. The thing looks physically too big to fit. I managed to get one part of it in using a combination of vice and clamps but it just spat it out once I let the pressure off.

Has anybody bought one of these from this company and had success fitting it? Or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers
Paul

OlberJ
23-02-2008, 19:53
Think Garbe has used a similar sort of thing, said it was a bit tight on the fitting.

He'll no doubt be along to correct me now though lol

snowtigger
23-02-2008, 21:27
put the rubber in the freezer over night put the bracket in the oven warm it up not red hot as it will melt the rubber, bit of ky jelly on the rubber and press it in with a vice.

or u could us vaseline.

OlberJ
23-02-2008, 21:37
or u could use vaseline.

And take it to Toyota for them to fit? lol

snowtigger
23-02-2008, 21:39
rubber glove time mooooooooooon riveeeeeeeer wideeeer thaaaaan a miiiiiiiiile.

Garbe
23-02-2008, 21:39
Ollie's correct, I did get both front and rear inserts.
The rear went in without much effort, but the front was a right bitch. Will get in there eventually.

Next problem will be when you come to get it on the gearbox end!!!!

I have just swapped both mine for turbo items - the engine does move alot more as it didn't budge at all before. However, the car is so much quiter now and you don't get any vibration in the cabin.

Poohbear
23-02-2008, 22:07
Speed-source ones fit straight away when you get them the right way round...rear engine mount is bigger than the front....see pic below for the two sizes. Maybe you are trying to fit the wrong ones.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/222.jpg

I also drilled some of the material out of the front mount which has stopped the excessive vibration felt in the cabin....bit crude i know but so far it's still in one piece and working fine.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/11/22.jpg

Bob

phd68
24-02-2008, 08:55
Thanks for that chaps. Haven't got them round the wrong way as i only bought the front mount. I did manage to get it in at one point but as soon as i let the pressure off the vice they popped straight out, Grrr.

Reckon i've been sold the wrong part. Will try and find a nice person with a lathe later and try and shave a bit off.

Paul

Garbe
24-02-2008, 09:43
Shaving a bit off is the best bet.
I believe the mounts are for the turbo - as Paul has said the front turbo mount is slightly bigger than the na item. Which would explain the size differnece.
Speed source also has the turbo and na ones listed separtely.

jimgreen
24-02-2008, 09:49
Has anyone had any experience making their own filling for the bush? Either with a pourable urethane or something like windscreen sealant.

nik
24-02-2008, 11:33
before i went 1.5 i filled my mounts with urethane from RS..remember being very happy with results..