PDA

View Full Version : Plastic spacers on wheels

Fizzy
22-02-2008, 16:30
Hi,

Just been sorting out the tyres on my (ahem) celica (cough) and noticed that on the rear wheels, one side has a plastic spacer inside the middle which makes it fit snug on the hub, but the other side doesn't, so its kinda loose? Wheel bolts are tapered which centres the wheel properly anyway.

Frustratingly, I think I found the plastic insert among a load of bits in the boot while clearing it out, and just thought it was a left over from some packing... and think I've thrown it out.:shrug: doh!

How important are these plastic insert thingies? Easy to get hold of or are they generally wheel specific?

Strangely the front hubs don't seem to need 'em. :confused:

Thanks,

- Ian.

Gary Symons
22-02-2008, 16:38
I wouldnt rely on the tapered bolt to keep the wheel centred, I thing I would be looking for another adapter. Probably not too dangerous without the adaptor but i would expect some vibration if th wheel isnt competely centred.

Edit: Adam made some nice rings for my alloys to keep them centred, dont know if he still does them though.

millentubby
22-02-2008, 16:50
The plastic inserts are called Spigot Rings and you NEED them.

MR2's are hubcentric so the wheel is centred by the hub - not the bolts.

Without Spigot rings you will suffer from wheel-shake, piles, aids and eventually death.

Your local halfords will have a selection of fitting kits which will include spigot rings...but I wouldn't count on anyone in your local store being able to understand what they do and why they fit or don't fit. FYI mk2 hubs have a diameter of 60.1mm. Best bet is to measure the inside diameter of the mating surface on your wheels and then source a set from a wheel supplier to suit.

OlberJ
22-02-2008, 17:09
Good aids or bad aids? :(

millentubby
22-02-2008, 17:10
The worst kind.

Jiff Lemon
22-02-2008, 17:15
Plastic???

Pah, TB's finest don't do plastic. PM our very on AdamH and he'll knock up some nice shiney metal ones for you. Very reasonable rates too.

Rosssco
22-02-2008, 17:17
What about band aids??? And what about the bears...??

Dont even bother going near halfords for spigot rings, useless. Assuming you find somebody who knows exactly what your on about, they may tell you (as I was previously) that they have them, but only hand them out / sell them with the wheels they sell..... So whats the f*king point telling me you have them....lol

Get a set off flea bay for a Yule Brenner...

Ross

sengk
22-02-2008, 17:34
We call them hub rings here in the states. you can also find them on ebay and they cost less than 10 us dollars. I have the plastic ones on my wheel. you can usually find the center bore of your wheels with a quick search on google. The plastic ones are suppose to be better because they dont rust or corrode. they help to take the load off of the lug nut studs and keep the wheel from vibrating.

Fizzy
22-02-2008, 17:35
Ahhh - bollocks. I knew it would be important 'cos I threw it away. :(

I'll take the good wheel off tomorrow, and measure the existing ring. Quick check on ebay shows a 60mm to 54mm set which seems most likely for £9.99 + delivery.

Strange how the front didn't need 'em though - wonder if its got uprated brakes/hubs or something... Hmm....

sengk
22-02-2008, 18:06
you should have them all around. it comes in a set of 4. if you look on the ring itself sometimes they tell you the measurements there.

sengk
22-02-2008, 18:07
While you are waiting for them, only tighten your lug nuts with the wheel off the ground to help center the wheels better.

Rosssco
22-02-2008, 18:43
Or even better, put the car on its side and tighten them then.....:thumbsup:

No more Morgan's for me please...

OlberJ
22-02-2008, 19:10
No, no, have more Morgans, Fizzy's got a Mk2. :thumbsup:

Fizzy
22-02-2008, 20:26
Actually, in this case its for a '95 toyota celica convertible... :shifty:

Its odd though - I was using the spare wheel to allow me to take a side off at a time, and it wasn't sitting over the central....erm.. center of the hub on the front, but did on the back. Definately something a little unusual about it. Perhaps they uprated the front a bit as part of the convertible model, or maybe its had some alternative hubs fitted when it needed new barings or something.

I'll look into it more tomorrow.

sengk
22-02-2008, 22:30
that is strange. make sure you double check hub measurements before you order the hub rings then.

millentubby
23-02-2008, 01:27
60mm->54mm will be too small.

Fizzy
23-02-2008, 01:36
60mm->54mm will be too small.

Like I said, I'll have to measure up the existing one - but I understood the bore size on the celica was smaller than the mr2.

Just waiting for daylight. :D

millentubby
23-02-2008, 01:43
ah, missed the celica bit.

Pfft...you're on your own there matey :p

black_mk1
23-02-2008, 09:15
I bet the spigot ring you have as a pattern has the size on it, mine do :)

Fizzy
23-02-2008, 13:23
Ok, Mystery solved!!!

The plastic insert does indeed say what size it is. It has the wheel manufacturers name on it so I guess they came with them. They clip nicely into a slotted grove inside the hub.

Size - 72.5 -> 54.1. I was a little off on the outside diameter. :D

Checked on the front - and they are also using spacers, but metal ones. These have rusted to the hub, which would explain why I had problems getting the spare wheel and the wheels off the back fitted on the front.

So if I hadn't thrown away the plastic one I found (which looks like the original wheel manufacturers missing one from the rear) I would have been ok. Doh!

I'll look for suitable replacements on ebay.

Theres a lot of benefits to sticking to standard wheels I see. :D

Goldy
23-02-2008, 19:27
speak to adamh he made me a set of spacers, to the right size and fit!