PDA

View Full Version : Changing springs on coilovers

MRV6
19-02-2008, 22:21
Sorry if this sounds daft, I was going to purchase a set of billys for the car but they have stopped making them now.

I'm looking at coilovers now and have heard stories about coilovers warping strut towers.

With my car being a good deal lighter than a standard mk2 would it be possible to swap the springs over on the coilovers e.g. use springs from a mk3 if they fitted a mk2 strut. The spring rate would not be a high and it would give a softer ride. Any thoughts if this would work.

Jim-SR
20-02-2008, 19:02
depends on the coilovers. as most coilovers use universal fitment springs. if thats the case then the springs will have flat ends, and you just need to buy universal springs of the same ID (which will most likely be 2.25" or 2.5")

coilovers warping strut towers isnt something ive heard before, youd have to be running insanely stiff springs and damping for that to happen. its not unheard of for springs to put a side loading into the struts themselves though if they use the top mount as the upper spring locator, and then bending shafts, as the top mount can pivot to some extent, you need fixed top platforms really

if you can advise which specific coilovers youre using (or intend to use) then il most likely be able to advise on what kind of spring setup they will have, and what you might want to go to

MRV6
20-02-2008, 19:09
Thanks for that Jim, I'm going for tein super streets.

Jim-SR
20-02-2008, 21:45
im fairly sure they use universal springs. if i remember rightly they also locate them against the top mount, which isnt ideal, but they arent prone to breaking from it.

theyll be quite stiffly sprung, fit them and see what theyre like, you can probably come down 100-150lbs/in on spring rate though from what they ship with!

Garbe
21-02-2008, 11:33
Alan posted a link to a site you can get various springs from - I think its in his diy coilover thread

Jim-SR
21-02-2008, 18:56
http://www.dfaulknersprings.co.uk/