PDA

View Full Version : She's got to go...

Sponge Bob
10-02-2008, 13:49
I’m thinking Juicy Lucy needs a new home, so am pitching this as an interest gauge…

I only want to sell her to someone on here as I don’t want her being broken for parts or ruined; she’s in too good nick for that, having had so much work done on her.

The reason for selling is the wiring fault which I just cannot sort out – I’m sure it’s something simple, but just don’t know how to sort myself and I’ve lost patience with her – she's just sat and gathered dust the past few weeks. The wiring fault occurred after changing an injector – so sure it’s related to that.

Wiring fault aside, here’s the lo-down as a refresher:

Recently dyno’d at 213bhp (229lbft), but with excessive overfuelling – new AFM bought to fix it as suspect it was duff (found out it had hole in flap for some reason?). Now, she went like absolute stink at 213, so with the fuelling sorted adding approx 30% power (which I’m yet to experience :( ) she will be immense.

She’s only done about 3000 miles on the swap: few journeys too and from Kent, JAE, rolling roads and used it as a commuter car for a few months.

Recently changed oil seals, water pump, oil pan, etc

MOT and tax until June – passed with ease last year (tester was impressed with condition), only required some sill welding and bits like headlight aim, but suspension was mentioned as a precaution – I have since polybushed it! Will take photos of everything if sale progresses.

Got all the paperwork – V5, massive history for car, MOTs, receipts, original docs, pack etc plus all my swap and mods have been documented on here as you all know.

I will be including all my parts, spares, etc which includes inlet manifold, cam cover, loads of silicon hose joints, spare perfect working turbo, new clutch bearing mounts, wiring, IC & fan, pipework, engine bay lid – there’s absolute tons of stuff to go with her – will take photos of spares as needed.

Info:
Rebuilt front end with new Toyota parts
Celica ST185 charge-cooler & pump
Fiat Cinquecento Pre-rad
CT26 turbo
In car boost controller
FCD
ST165 GT4 fuel pump (tank mounted)
Fully custom 3" high-flow exhaust
Induction filter
Custom built torque & engine mounts
Custom turbo heat shield
HKS recirc blow-off valve
K&N oil crank-case breather

Chassis:
Full poly-bush suspension components, rear installed, front ready to go on
Rev3 turbo ARB, celica drop-links
Enkei light weight racing alloys – 2 without tyres at mo.
ST185 single pot caliper conversion
SW20 decals
A359 Yokohama 195/45/15 front

Interior:
Stock interior plus:
Custom battery charge/status monitor
Air/Fuel Mixture monitor
Boost gauge
Charge coolant temp gauge
2x8" subs, powerful amp, great head unit, etc

I really really don’t want to let her go as I’ve put in hundreds of hours of effort and thousands of pounds into her, but the time has come. Someone save her please – with a little fault finding, Juicy Lucy will be at her finest.

So crunch question – what is a reasonable price for everything I'm offering? If I won't get a good price, then I will just leave her in the garage until summer comes and I realise how much I need to drive her again!!

Thanks peeps, over & out.
Ash

rattymr2
10-02-2008, 16:41
Ash

don't give up. what you will sell her for will be peanuts compared to true value. it is worth spending a couple of hundred to get the wiring sorted and then if you decide to sell you will get more than your money back on sorting it.

Put it back together (sorry i told you to take it apart) and get it down to 3S. i can help with a tow car, and i know of a trailer to borrow. i was hoping that seeing and going in my car would inspire you to keep plugging away. i know what the plan is in the future but come on, the money from the sale will end up paying towards your wedding.

hopefully this is a knee jerk reaction. take time out and rethink things through.

good luck

martin

dodgy9079
10-02-2008, 18:02
Ratty is right mate, keep trying you will succeed. and the pleasure from doing so will make it all seem worth while, keep the faith :)

rattymr2
10-02-2008, 18:22
i meant it so much i said it twice

GaryA
10-02-2008, 20:04
Ah don't give up on it , enough people on here to get it sorted . fair enough sell it if you want a change but not because of stupid wiring problem , they can be bitches to find but find it you will :thumbsup:

nik
10-02-2008, 21:00
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

lodgeman
10-02-2008, 21:29
what he said^^^^^ double!!:hidesbehi lol

Garbe
10-02-2008, 21:33
Ash mate - exactly whats been already said, if you do you'll regret it :hand:

Sponge Bob
10-02-2008, 22:04
I just cannot find the fault guys - I've had the inlet off twice, searching for chaffed or cut wires, I've tried being smart with the multimeter, printed off all the wiring diagrams, but I just can't find out what's earthing the power out.

I can't afford to send it elsewhere to fix, because that would involve transport costs pretty far away, and the cost of repair (that's if anyone would be able to work out what's actually going on!!!)

I feel like the car hates me - I've put just so much time and effort into creating it, and then frustrating things fail - I can cope with things like knackered injectors, it's a pain yes, but do-able... but with this wiring, there's absolutely nothing that I can do??? :banghead: :confused:

I've felt like crap all day - it feels like I'm giving up on a relationship - not a car!!!!!

Murf
10-02-2008, 22:20
Keep it till summer and work on it only when you feel you can be arsed!
Ive had similar problems and it drives me nuts!

Just swap bits over a part at a time until you hit the jackpot, electrical problems in cars can be really odd!

Ive got an injector resistor pack, a coil and an ignitor i can post down for you to swap and rule out!

Paff
10-02-2008, 23:02
Keep it mate, you will work it out.

sort something out with Paul if ya have to, pay his train fare and bribe him with hobnobs to take a look. :)

rattymr2
10-02-2008, 23:08
Ash,

a mate of mine has a suitable tow car. he is looking at buying a car trailer to get his sick 300zx to a suitable garage. i am sure he would be willing to lend me the car and trailor. if not i know of another trailer that could be used.

check over that loom i gave you and if it is suitable chuck it on and see how it goes. it may well contain the wiring that you have broken.

stick with it.

snowtigger
11-02-2008, 00:10
look i give up on most things i get disshaertened lose focus on wot i should do get pissed of and throw my rattle out of the pram over stupid shit like this go away from it for a while and come back later on in the year uknow it makes sense as you will never get back wot u have spent on it.

OlberJ
11-02-2008, 00:14
At least you haven't had to drop the engine again Ash, it's gonna be something daft, just percivere, it'll be worth it.

phd68
11-02-2008, 10:22
Post up your symptoms, what you've tried and what you can definately rule out. You never know, someone out here may be able to point you in thge right direction. Earth problems can be a bugger but are all fixable.

Paul

Jiff Lemon
11-02-2008, 16:16
I just cannot find the fault guys - I've had the inlet off twice, searching for chaffed or cut wires, I've tried being smart with the multimeter, printed off all the wiring diagrams, but I just can't find out what's earthing the power out.

I can't afford to send it elsewhere to fix, because that would involve transport costs pretty far away, and the cost of repair (that's if anyone would be able to work out what's actually going on!!!)

I feel like the car hates me - I've put just so much time and effort into creating it, and then frustrating things fail - I can cope with things like knackered injectors, it's a pain yes, but do-able... but with this wiring, there's absolutely nothing that I can do??? :banghead: :confused:

I've felt like crap all day - it feels like I'm giving up on a relationship - not a car!!!!!

And the phone call to me has been where?? :rant:

OK, admittedly I'm the busiest man on the planet at the moment, but if you're at giving up point, then I'd do my best to come over and give it all once over.

Don't give up on her yet - It's not like she broke down in the middle of nowhere, leaving you deserted for 3 days, thus causing mrs Bob to sell the house and start a new life working as a go go girl. lol

Sponge Bob
11-02-2008, 16:30
Jiff, try not to make me laugh too much at work mate lol ... no, things haven't escalated to that level just yet!! Well, let me know if you have a free moment - i'm around all but Tuesday eve's if you fancy trying your hand at her (I warn you, she has severe PMT...)

Jiff Lemon
11-02-2008, 16:35
Cool stuff, I'll take a look at the car too! rotflmao

BSM
11-02-2008, 16:39
Count me in too mate I'm up for sorting it out. :thumbsup:

OlberJ
11-02-2008, 22:06
And if the pair of them can't fix it, burn the fecker. :blowup:

Well in lads, that's the TB spirit through and through.

rattymr2
17-02-2008, 09:20
Ash

just seen that Mr Woods wired your car up at JAE. Did it come with a guarantee on the wiring. if so chuck it back together, i won't tell anyone that you've pulled the loom apart and get it back to Paul to sort.

Are you looking at it today and do you want some help. well, hindrance more than anything.

Garbe
17-02-2008, 16:46
And if the pair of them can't fix it, burn the fecker. :blowup:

I know its a MK1, but thats a bit extreme lol

Sponge Bob
17-02-2008, 17:33
Hey up Martin, been out today - so only just seen your message - it's already back together again, but no luck - still just getting 3 red lights on the dash and not allowing me to pull fault codes :(

rattymr2
17-02-2008, 18:06
right then. only one thing for it. i will borrow my mates car, see if we can borrow a trailor (my mate might be buying one soon) and lets get your car up to Woodsy.

Sponge Bob
17-02-2008, 22:32
Um Woodsy might be a tad far lol ... although it would be nice if he could fit it in and get everything fixed on it... maybe 3S would be an idea as they're closer...

Murf
17-02-2008, 22:41
Distance shmistance, get it to woodsport, the only MR2 garage as far as i'm concerned!

weegaz22
17-02-2008, 23:37
I know its a MK1, but thats a bit extreme lol

yeah, that honour should be reserved for probes;) after ripping their heart out for a mk1 obviously;)

dunno if its been suggested ash but have you tried measuring the drain and then pulling out fuses one by one? see if you get a dramatic drop in current?

Sponge Bob
18-02-2008, 08:46
Um - that sounds like a pretty good test... will give it a try tonight!! Presume you just disconnect battery, put meter on +ve & -ve then start pulling and replacing individually...?

rattymr2
18-02-2008, 12:41
i'm about tonight to help Ash. 2 man job methinks

weegaz22
18-02-2008, 13:30
Um - that sounds like a pretty good test... will give it a try tonight!! Presume you just disconnect battery, put meter on +ve & -ve then start pulling and replacing individually...?

pull the negative terminals wire, and put your meter between the negative terminal and the earth wire, then switch your meter to its mA (milliamp) setting, if i recall correctly anything over 70 milliamps isnt good for the battery, make sure your key is out the ignition as well, and all doors closed to prevent a false reading from interior light being on etc, then start pulling fuses one by one, i would also pull the relays as if they are stuck open they will cause a drain as well

sometimes a bad diode in the alternator can cause a drain as well as it keeps the charging circuit active after the engine has been turned off, could have a look at that as well

good luck, keep us posted:thumbsup:

Sponge Bob
18-02-2008, 14:09
Cheers Gaz - great advice, and Mart - will be working on car from 7ish, so if you're free then definitely pop around!!

Garbe
18-02-2008, 17:33
I hope you get to the bottom of this ASH - the above testing should isolate the relevant area :fingersx: