PDA

View Full Version : Time to take the plunge...

EarL
04-01-2008, 10:04
Well, after much deliberation, I've decided to take the plunge and go V6 power. :thumbsup:

I spoken to Mr Woods, who has given the initial go ahead for some time in March, but there is a slim chance that we could see things started before that (fingers crossed).

If you've read about the troubles I've had since taking posession of my new car, you'll know that it's in desperate need of a rebore and pistons at the very minimum as it's suffering from chronic piston slap, and is no doubt, eating it's way through the block as we speak. So I was left with the prospect of getting a new block (as the existing one has already been rebored, and I wouldn't like to chance running around 1.3 bar of boost through a thin wall block that has been rebored twice), a new set of forged pistons, and having the work done, or....

...having Paul fit a nice lumpy V6. :shades:

So I've chosen the latter option, and am now frantically saving every penny, and selling all my worldly goods in preparation for the great event.

Roll on fitting time... :thumbsup:

EarL.

biteme
04-01-2008, 10:06
Reeeeeeeeeesult.

Welcome to the land of torque sir - and may this be the platform to create the Beast's big brother.

Obviously, you'll be trailing me :P
/challenge!

Great news mate.

EarL
04-01-2008, 10:16
Reeeeeeeeeesult.

Welcome to the land of torque sir - and may this be the platform to create the Beast's big brother.

Obviously, you'll be trailing me :P
/challenge!

Great news mate.
Cheers J,

I do have plans to supercharge it later on, but not for a while. Having been down the highly modded route, I'm looking forward to just getting in and driving it, and not having to concentrate on all the damn readouts!

To be honest, it's a really good base to start from if I was to go down that route, but I'm getting on now (probably one of the oldest git's on here with the exception of Woodsy lol ), so I'm looking more for comfort and refinement, than power and performance, and I think the V6 gives that to the MR2. I'll even be changing the coilovers for stock Bilstien's before long, so if anyone's in the market for a set of really good JIC coliovers, drop me a PM.

Saying that though, as I mentioned, I do have plans for an SC, though I don't think it will be a TRD as they seem to be in very short supply world wide. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Vortech. ;)

We'll see how things go though...

EarL.

Charged
04-01-2008, 10:50
Good decision Earl :thumbsup:

And Johnny, I would lay down that challange with earl... :hand: lol

biteme
04-01-2008, 10:57
Good decision Earl :thumbsup:

And Johnny, I would lay down that challange with earl... :hand: lol

lol .. you seen my spec list - and you know my mentality :)

biteme
04-01-2008, 11:01
I do have plans for an SC, though I don't think it will be a TRD as they seem to be in very short supply world wide. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Vortech. ;)

EarL.

Knowing what I know mate, I'd not use the TRD either. Belt driven blowtorch springs to mind. Ideal for useable power upto 6psi or thereabouts. Anymore than that, and it's a furnace. They're nice to have so that you can say your car is supercharged.

Vortech are damned fine units though, I have to say. The V5 units seem very well suited to a 3.0ltr V6 application. Don't discount Rotrex though!!

Charged
04-01-2008, 11:19
lol .. you seen my spec list - and you know my mentality :)

I know you're mental... but so is Earl when it comes to modifying... this could be fun! :thumbsup:

biteme
04-01-2008, 11:23
It's all good mate - get the boundaries pushed. I hate playing safe.

Goldy
04-01-2008, 11:51
Nice one earl.... great choice :thumbsup: Once you've had a v6 there's no going back :)

EarL
04-01-2008, 12:16
Thanks chaps. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it compares to the tubby motor (not that I can remember too much about them in stock guise lol ).

I'm a big fan of the torque monster though, always have been. Which is why the supercharger appeals to me so much. That feeling of neck snapping torque. You really just can't beat it. Top speed is fine, but I'm not that way inclined. In fact, I nearly shat myself at TOTB last year when I had to do my top speed run. Anything over 100 mph on British roads is potty in my mind.

I'm pretty sure the bug will bite again once it's been on the road again for a while....

EarL.

Lee
04-01-2008, 12:19
Cheers J,

I do have plans to supercharge it later on, but not for a while. Having been down the highly modded route, I'm looking forward to just getting in and driving it, and not having to concentrate on all the damn readouts!

To be honest, it's a really good base to start from if I was to go down that route, but I'm getting on now (probably one of the oldest git's on here with the exception of Woodsy lol ), so I'm looking more for comfort and refinement, than power and performance, and I think the V6 gives that to the MR2. I'll even be changing the coilovers for stock Bilstien's before long, so if anyone's in the market for a set of really good JIC coliovers, drop me a PM.

Saying that though, as I mentioned, I do have plans for an SC, though I don't think it will be a TRD as they seem to be in very short supply world wide. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Vortech. ;)

EarL.

Hi Earl

Funny you should mention the vortech unit, watch this space :)

what's the ride quality like with the JIC coilovers? I enjoy driving the Scottish Highland twisties so want something that gives good responses, but still has some pliancy in the ride. I don't want to loose my teeth just yet http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/1.gif

EarL
04-01-2008, 13:08
They're not the hardest ride I've experienced, but they are mighty firm. That said, they're infinately adjustable, so I'm pretty sure they could be made more compliant.

Here's a link to them:

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=33&CarModelID=69&CarMakeID=10

As I'm not planning to run giher boost than say 5 psi, would a TRD charger be a more viable option (presuming I can get hold of one)?

EarL.

biteme
04-01-2008, 15:50
They're going for around £1000-1200 mate. Personally, I reckon there are better options.

For that money, you could buy an Eaton M62 S/C rather than the Eaton M45 that's used on the TRD - and have something made. It'll yield more power and run cooler.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C6&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=m62+supercharger&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=m62+supercharger&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=L23+6XA&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1

Murf
04-01-2008, 17:07
That car looks familiar. Was it you that swapped the Honda for the Rev3 turbo only to find out it was knacked???
Its a fucking disgrace that people can do that to other people!!
GGRRRRRR!!!

snowtigger
05-01-2008, 04:37
nice to see another of us crazy old gits on here my mid life crisis mk1 v6 and turbo or supercharged hmmm can not wait top end is not a bad thing but screaming accleration from a stand still hehehehe .
one of my customers has a new porsche gt3 and he says hes going to have a race with me up an air field his mate uses can not wait till his jaw hits the floor when a 23 year old car leaves him for dust.

EarL
05-01-2008, 17:09
That car looks familiar. Was it you that swapped the Honda for the Rev3 turbo only to find out it was knacked???
Its a fucking disgrace that people can do that to other people!!
GGRRRRRR!!!
Indeed Murf. It's a lesson to everyone really.

Onward and upward though mate. :thumbsup:

EarL.

Murf
05-01-2008, 18:54
Great positive attitude that, good luck with the build!! :)

EarL
07-01-2008, 10:33
They're going for around £1000-1200 mate. Personally, I reckon there are better options.
Hmm...

I'm not going to be going for a lot of boost, so maybe a TRD would be the answer. :confused:

Just sourcing one.... :?:

...any ideas?

biteme
07-01-2008, 10:44
the three main places are:
1) Solaraguy.org forum
2) eBay US
3) Camry Forums

Mainly in that order mate :)

MRV6
08-01-2008, 12:33
Hmm I wonder what the production costs would be to get a m62 based supercharger kit made up? Would there be enough people interested to go in on the development costs.

Earl you could also try toyotanation for a trd supercharger.

www.toyotanation.com

biteme
08-01-2008, 12:41
Hmm I wonder what the production costs would be to get a m62 based supercharger kit made up? Would there be enough people interested to go in on the development costs.

Earl you could also try toyotanation for a trd supercharger.

www.toyotanation.com (http://www.toyotanation.com)

Ohh good shout Phallus. I'd forgotten that one.

As for the M62 based kits. You'd have to get the bare units and the same snout/drive length everytime you got one.

If that's achievable, then it's a case of getting the TRD as a template to make the runners and fitment off - and bobs yo' uncle.

Has AAS's name all over it!

MRV6
08-01-2008, 12:59
Yeah there's a few variations on the m62. Seems do-able though. In theory they should be able to fot 1mz/3vz engines without any major probs.

Last time I was talking to Stuart he's now got CAD, should help things along somewhat.

EarL
08-01-2008, 13:36
Cheers Phil. :thumbsup:

MRV6
09-01-2008, 12:54
Hi Earl, let me know when your coming up to drop the car off and I'll try and get over. I'll fetch a flask of coffee with me, Paul's kettle has now been broke for the last 5 years that I've known him.

Good to see you going down the v6 road;)

biteme
09-01-2008, 13:26
Hi Earl, let me know when your coming up to drop the car off and I'll try and get over. I'll fetch a flask of coffee with me, Paul's kettle has now been broke for the last 5 years that I've known him.

Good to see you going down the v6 road;)

I'll come over too :)

MRV6
09-01-2008, 13:40
I'll come over too :)

Just remembered I will be working now.

biteme
09-01-2008, 13:41
Just remembered I will be working now.

Good - abuot time you did some.

EarL
10-01-2008, 09:27
PMSL.

I'll PM you both when I'm ready to bring it up. Camera's at the ready... lol

EarL.

biteme
10-01-2008, 10:02
PMSL.

I'll PM you both when I'm ready to bring it up. Camera's at the ready... lol

EarL.

Phil always has his camera on him, in case he sees any nice boys in the parks when he's "walking his dog"

Beware EarL :P

EarL
10-01-2008, 14:38
PMSL lol

MRV6
10-01-2008, 16:54
Phil always has his camera on him, in case he sees any nice boys in the parks when he's "walking his dog"

Beware EarL :P

Ello ello whats going on here. Just got back from taking my dog out in the park.

Johnny I'll fetch the camera over and chuck the wide angle lense on. Should be able to fit your man boobs in :thumbsup: !

biteme
10-01-2008, 18:40
Ello ello whats going on here. Just got back from taking my dog out in the park.

Johnny I'll fetch the camera over and chuck the wide angle lense on. Should be able to fit your man boobs in :thumbsup: !

and my 12" ......... pizza that I'm munching on :D

EarL
12-01-2008, 12:16

No Phil, they're now referred to as MOOBS! ;)

biteme
12-01-2008, 19:46
No Phil, they're now referred to as MOOBS! ;)

Is my body to moobalicious for ya baaayeeebbeeeehhhhh
/beyonce

OlberJ
12-01-2008, 21:06
/beyonce

I was about to make a comment there about that being obvious.

But then i thought about it. Fair play, probably needed in here. lol

lodgeman
13-01-2008, 08:55
:old: who's beyonce? was she one of the supremes?:hidesbehi :rasp: :rasp:

snowtigger
14-01-2008, 01:33
no the supremes where booty liscious beyonce just has a oooo ooo oo ooo ooooooo huge fat ass and cant sing unless every its upppppppp and dowwnnnnnn the bloody scales with rich hubby record producers.

EarL
14-01-2008, 10:12
no the supremes where booty liscious beyonce just has a oooo ooo oo ooo ooooooo huge fat ass and cant sing unless every its upppppppp and dowwnnnnnn the bloody scales with rich hubby record producers.
Wild guess here, but you don't like Beyonceeee then Tig....? lol

snowtigger
14-01-2008, 19:50
almost as bad as that bleedin in love sodding woman of shite factor that the other half watches.

OlberJ
14-01-2008, 22:04
Thing is with both of them, 80% of the time, hell yes!

20% of the time, "Does she have downs?"

SIFU
16-01-2008, 15:47
Hello matey,

Know of the probs you had from the OC. The important thing
is that you are joining the masses and moving onwards and
upwards.

The car itself looks awesome and will sound nice soon too.
Nice one.

Chris :thumbsup:

OlberJ
16-01-2008, 15:51
Noooo, we're not the masses. We're the dark side :moon:

SIFU
16-01-2008, 15:58
lol typing error!! Apologies to all.

EarL
16-01-2008, 16:11
Hello matey,

Know of the probs you had from the OC. The important thing
is that you are joining the masses and moving onwards and
upwards.

The car itself looks awesome and will sound nice soon too.
Nice one.

Chris :thumbsup:
Thanks Chris,

Really looking forward to getting it started now mate. :thumbsup:

EarL.

SIFU
16-01-2008, 16:27
It's the only war forward IMO :cool:

EarL
10-02-2008, 20:02
Here's what's planned for the bodywork once the motor's been in for a few months...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/86.jpg

I've photoshopped my old wheels onto it, but the Enkei's that are on it will be done the same. Green centres with polished lips.

I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I really like it. It's the same colours I used to have my race Mini in.

EarL.

OlberJ
10-02-2008, 20:17
Altogther now,

"nuff people say they know they cant believe,
jamaica we have a bobsled team
(repeat once)
we have the one derice,
and the one jr.,
yule brenner,
and the man sanka

the fastest of the fastest of jamaican sprinters,
go to olymipcs,
fight for jamaica
(repeat everything except for that last part)
the fastest of the fastest of jamaican sprinters,
respect to the man irv blitser "

:cool:

MRV6
10-02-2008, 22:43
Looks good mate, looking forward to this project. Me thinks "The Beast" mk2,mk2 in the making.

Murf
10-02-2008, 22:55
Like the paint, very lotus 7 but err, in reverse! :)

snowtigger
11-02-2008, 00:21
hmm canary yellow a green not my taste but hey i like seventys meta flake purple so wot do i know good look on this any way should be a good un.

biteme
11-02-2008, 08:36
Go for it, EarL. It's going to be a striking car, no doubt about it.

And with a V6 rumble, people really are going to know you're around lol