PDA

View Full Version : V6 harness question

blackbob
11-12-2007, 09:45
So I'm about 90% through the write-up ( the one here on the boards about doing a V6 into a MK2 MR2 ) and I'm about 90% done,however,what the hell does the yellow wire for the alternator do ? All it says in the write up is to connect it to a yellow wire in the fuse box. Ok,cool,no problem...now..what is the significance of this yellow wire in the fuse box ? It says that if I'm not 100% sure on which yellow wire to simply do a test back to the "dash clocks". What is it about connecting it to the dash clock has to do with this yellow wire in the harness for the alt setup ? Is there anything else I can connect it to without doing this test ??

Also,
The red wire I'm surpose to run for the STA hot to the starter relay that is surpose to have ONE hot out of the COR. Well mine for some reason has THREE hots to the one red/black wire instead of the ONE hott the guide says I'm surpose to have. Also it's the only one that gets power in the fuse box just like it says it should have ( according the to guide ). I'm really puzzled and would MUCH appriciate it if you guys can help me out here.

Paul Woods
12-12-2007, 07:20
hi bob,the yellow wire on the alt is for your charge light on the dash,12v goes from the bulb to the alt,when the alt is not spinning it earths the yellow wire and puts the bulb on.... then when you start the engine and the alt produces charge it throws this charge back up the yellow wire to the bulb on the dash,and two 12v's going to a bulb puts it out.... so if you are unsure which yellow wire in the fusebox to use then do a continuity test between the fusebox yellow wire and the dash clock yellow.

As for the STA signal wire,im a little confused by your post,i dont understand the red/black wire??

anyway heres how to wire it...

theres a red wire in your rear boot plug,on the old ecu grey plug to be exact,on pin A11.... thats your starter signal wire,to double check its the correct one do a continuity check from it to one of the COR pins in the fusebox.

Connect this wire to pin A11 on your v6 ecu plug and also to the RED wire on your green starter motor relay in the boot,thats all you need to do for that wire.

if in doubt about anything just ask :thumbsup:

blackbob
12-12-2007, 10:57
hi bob,the yellow wire on the alt is for your charge light on the dash,12v goes from the bulb to the alt,when the alt is not spinning it earths the yellow wire and puts the bulb on.... then when you start the engine and the alt produces charge it throws this charge back up the yellow wire to the bulb on the dash,and two 12v's going to a bulb puts it out.... so if you are unsure which yellow wire in the fusebox to use then do a continuity test between the fusebox yellow wire and the dash clock yellow.

As for the STA signal wire,im a little confused by your post,i dont understand the red/black wire??

anyway heres how to wire it...

theres a red wire in your rear boot plug,on the old ecu grey plug to be exact,on pin A11.... thats your starter signal wire,to double check its the correct one do a continuity check from it to one of the COR pins in the fusebox.

Connect this wire to pin A11 on your v6 ecu plug and also to the RED wire on your green starter motor relay in the boot,thats all you need to do for that wire.

if in doubt about anything just ask :thumbsup:
Now know that I'm using a USDM 91' MR2 5SFE manual car with a USDM 92' spec camry 3VZFE. The plug you're talking about is not in my trunk there is in fact a grey plug. But it's not "A" it says "B" on it and other then the white plug it's the only other plug in there trunk ( car side ). The clock on the other hand is another mystery becuase there is in fact NO YELLOW WIRE running from the clock. There are four wires from my clock they are ( 3 ) red - (already live thinking memory ) constant ,( 1 ) white black - constant , ( 2 ) green - turn light control switch on ,and ( 4 )white - ignition switch on. So according to you would it be plug position 1 the white black constant be what I'm looking for for this thing ? ......nvm....clock issue solved.

Now onto BIGGER issues...my starter is not fully if at all ingaging the teeth on the flywheel. Measured it and distance is or appears to be ok. Does this mean I have the wrong flywheel ? If I did how exactly would I know or does it matter if I use the four cylinder starter vs. the V6 one ?

Garbe
12-12-2007, 14:11
The clock he is talking about is not the time clock but the speedo - so the yellow wire is from the dash lights

another one 'numpty thread' methinks lol

Paul Woods
12-12-2007, 19:01
sorry bob im not familiar with 5s-fe wiring so i cant help there....but if you provide the starter relay and v6 ecu pin A11 with the STA signal it will work.

You need to find a 12v output coming from the dash battery light and trace that through to the fusebox,join the yellow alt wire onto it.

Any combo of mr2 flywheel and starter motor should work,unless you have a machined down 3vze 4runner flywheel which has the ringear in the wrong place and needs a 6mm spacer to step the starter out

blackbob
14-12-2007, 17:04
Ok,
Well now that the starter and alt are tacken care of I have another question. A little while ago I was told that you could re-wire or modify a 4 banger ignitor to work with a V6 application. Anyone know how accurate this is, I would use the correct one but it's finding it locally that's a pain in the ass ????

As for the flywheel I have simply ordered the partsamerica.com/autozone one part number 128 with 120 teeth count. As far as I know I have the same one that everyone else seems to have.

OlberJ
14-12-2007, 17:11
I think you have to use the V6 ignitor.

I remember a strange conversation with Monsiuer Woods about this when i discovered he'd been hiding in my garage at the weekends, making small woodland animal noises and stroking the dug.

And if you can't find one locally, try up the back of the garage, on the shelf.

blackbob
16-12-2007, 00:41
I think you have to use the V6 ignitor.

I remember a strange conversation with Monsiuer Woods about this when i discovered he'd been hiding in my garage at the weekends, making small woodland animal noises and stroking the dug.

And if you can't find one locally, try up the back of the garage, on the shelf.
???? What ?????