PDA

View Full Version : Newbie researching V6 engine swap

leet
10-12-2007, 22:56
Hi people, i'm new on here and just found this site whilst searching the net on V6 conversion info. I am in Hampshire in the UK. I have been reading alot of peoples project threads on doing this conversion and i see alot of reference to the Woods wiring diagram. Can someone point me in the direction of this wiring info please? Also a list of everything i will need to remove from my donor Camry would be great. My car is a Rev 1 n/a version by the way
Thanks for any help
Lee

Garbe
10-12-2007, 23:01
HI and welcome lee
The wiring diagram is on the home page and in the left menu panel 'downloads'

leet
10-12-2007, 23:03
HI and welcome lee
The wiring diagram is on the home page and in the left menu panel 'downloads'
Thanks Garbe, i have just finished reading your conversion thread. Great job :thumbsup:

Garbe
10-12-2007, 23:03
Items you need from the camry, although this is off the top of my head.

Engine
ECU - make sure you get the 4th ecu plug as this is not on the engine harness
engine harness
downpipes
vac canister

more to follow.....

Garbe
10-12-2007, 23:04

leet
10-12-2007, 23:09
Is there any particular year of Camry to use as a donor? Or are they all the same enginewise?
Got the wiring download so plenty of studying to do there now.
Thanks ...Lee

Garbe
10-12-2007, 23:14
Its got to be the 3.0 V6 goes from 1993 (3VZFE is the easiest swap).

I would leave the wiring diagram for now - it'll just put you off - although when you get to it you can muddle through with lots of help on this forum.

leet
10-12-2007, 23:19
Its got to be the 3.0 V6 goes from 1993 (3VZFE is the easiest swap).

I would leave the wiring diagram for now - it'll just put you off - although when you get to it you can muddle through with lots of help on this forum.
I'm very confident with electrics. I did an electrical/electronic maintenance apprenticeship when i left school and although it is not auto electrics, nothing seems to phase me. <Forgive the pun. I do like having forums such as these to fall back on too.

sketchy
11-12-2007, 01:53
guess he thinks hes a bright spark with the electrics...shocking pun there buddy...getting almost as bad as the old boys already...

welcome too the arse-i-lum!

Paul Woods
11-12-2007, 07:01
welcome to TB lee,all the help you could ever want is here.

contact "fourveesix" about an engine mount and modified flywheel,they will help you massively and as for the rest any questions just ask,sounds like you got the wiring covered too :thumbsup:

leet
11-12-2007, 07:09
welcome to TB lee,all the help you could ever want is here.

contact "fourveesix" about an engine mount and modified flywheel,they will help you massively and as for the rest any questions just ask,sounds like you got the wiring covered too :thumbsup:
Thanks Paul, i have pm'd Fourveesix already about the mount, i best get back onto him about the flywheel lol
What clutch should i be looking out for my set up using the n/a gearbox?
Thanks ...Lee

Paul Woods
11-12-2007, 07:14
all depends what your power goals are,if its just to leave it as a normal NA v6 then the stock Mr2 NA clutch will cope,but if you plan to add forced induction later on then you will need a 6 paddle clutch from a 5s-fe engine,we use ACT ones which are excellent... they dont feel stiff despite being around 35% uprated.

you will be using your old flywheel modified to fit or you can go 5s-fe fidanza but that too will need modifying.... another solution is to use a 1mz-fe fidanza flywheel (no mods) and a mk2 turbo pressure plate and a NA friction plate,that works very well indeed

leet
11-12-2007, 07:30
all depends what your power goals are,if its just to leave it as a normal NA v6 then the stock Mr2 NA clutch will cope,but if you plan to add forced induction later on then you will need a 6 paddle clutch from a 5s-fe engine,we use ACT ones which are excellent... they dont feel stiff despite being around 35% uprated.

you will be using your old flywheel modified to fit or you can go 5s-fe fidanza but that too will need modifying.... another solution is to use a 1mz-fe fidanza flywheel (no mods) and a mk2 turbo pressure plate and a NA friction plate,that works very well indeed
I'll be happy with standard v6 power for a while as i have alot of other things going on with the car so it looks like the 1mz-fe flywheel will probably be the route i take.
Hope you don't mind but as i got your attention, a couple more questions?
I know that the engine bolts up in the stock mount positions but do i reuse the mr2 mounts or the camry mounts?
How much further back in the engine bay roughly does the camry engine come back?
Is it true that the v6 is slightly narrower than the 3sge so there will be slightly better clearance at the pulleys to chassis leg?
Thanks ..Lee

Paul Woods
11-12-2007, 07:38
just bear in mind if you use a 1mz flywheel a complete NA clutch wont work and you will need to use a turbo/na clutch combo

you will need to either use the mk2 turbo front torque mount or polyuerthane fill the front torque mount,the NA one simply isnt up to the job at all.The rear torque mount is fine,and the left side gearbox mount and right side mk2 engine mount are used...no camry mounts used at all.So when you get tonys mount adapter thats all you will need.

The gearbox sits in the same place it did before so the engine sits central but the inlet manifold takes up extra space at the rear of the engine bay,not much difference space wise to be honest.... the engine is slightly narrower in the bay so theres a little more room on the belt end.

leet
11-12-2007, 16:15
Great info there, thanks Paul. If i go the modified flywheel route then would you suggest modifying it for a turbo clutch? I only ask this as my current clutch is knackered anyhow. Is there any info on how to modify the flywheel anywhere on-line? I have access to engineering workshops etc so if it's nothing too major then maybe i can sort it.
Been in touch with fourveesix now so should have the engine mount adaptor en route shortly :)

Paul Woods
11-12-2007, 18:18
if your power goals are just v6 na then just have your NA flywheel modified and run the NA clutch or 5s-fe fidanza and NA clutch.

The flywheel needs "half a hole" drilled on each current hole on its outer edge and together with the original v6 spacer washer thingy it clamps it all in place.... tony offers this service so you best speak to him,he will keep you right

leet
11-12-2007, 19:29
If anyone happens to hear of the necessary parts i need for this conversion for sale, then please get in contact. Ideally looking for a salvaged car or someone who knows exactly which parts need removing
Thanks ...Lee

biteme
11-12-2007, 19:32
If you pop on as a Big Member mate, you'll have access to the eBay Forum - where we post details of all the bits on eBay required for V6 swaps - and all useful MR2 bits, courtesy of Lodgeman mainly :)

leet
11-12-2007, 19:34
If you pop on as a Big Member mate, you'll have access to the eBay Forum - where we post details of all the bits on eBay required for V6 swaps - and all useful MR2 bits, courtesy of Lodgeman mainly :)
how do i become a big member? :gay: <j/k

biteme
11-12-2007, 19:36
hehehee

http://forums.twobrutal.com/payments.php

Just incase you're not joking lol lol

snowtigger
11-12-2007, 19:46
dont forget about the dibs system if u become a big member so we all dont go biding against each other and puting the price of components up .
this is a good system and have used it my self a lot with buying for my conversion and is one of the benefits of becoming a big member.
also the lads and girls are a great bunch we tend to take the piss out of johnny but we secretly like him any way well just dont tell him that dam I'm typing out loud again.

leet
12-12-2007, 22:52
If anyone happens to hear of the necessary parts i need for this conversion for sale, then please get in contact. Ideally looking for a salvaged car or someone who knows exactly which parts need removing
Thanks ...Lee
Sorted now, managed to get a whole car with 6 months MOT for £300:driving:

splintermcinnes
12-12-2007, 23:23
where abouts in hampshire are you at. i will be back in portsmouth on the 19th so i can give ya a run out in my V6 if ya nearby.:thumbsup:

leet
13-12-2007, 07:09
where abouts in hampshire are you at. i will be back in portsmouth on the 19th so i can give ya a run out in my V6 if ya nearby.:thumbsup:
That is very good of you,i may have to take you up on that. I am near Basingstoke but i also have a place in Selsey.
lee

splintermcinnes
13-12-2007, 10:14
anytime pal! just checked google maps, your not to far away, basingstoke is over an hour away, but selsey is just round the corner(ish!), give us a shout when ya down that way.

leet
14-12-2007, 17:46
WooHoo, just picked the Camry up and drove it 80 miles back. Quite pokey things aren't they? Especially for a family saloon. Can't wait to get it out and back in the MR2 now