PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control on a V6

millentubby
24-11-2007, 13:32
Well, it's now been retrofitted to a 4-AGE mk1 (congrate flippin'eck on IMOC http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54036&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80 ).

I was stripping some bits off the Camry today and got thinking it would be nice to have CC on the mk1v6.

Firstly has it been done before?

Secondly...how?

I'm thinking that you'd be able to lift most of the kit straight out of the camry and I'm hoping the speed-information coming from the S54 is similar to what the Camry operates with.

Instead of grafting the camry control stalk onto the mk1 column I'd probably look at disassembling the Camry stalk and making a small control panel to be mounted discreetly but in a useful position (steering wheel buttons would be awesome...if a bit ghey and obvious lol ).

Anyhoo...I figured I should let this thinklet run free to flourish in the open green pastures here. :thumbsup:

Paul Woods
24-11-2007, 16:58
i say go for it colin,its doable ok just a lot of faffage needed.... the control system is already there for it and the ecu does the rest,as you say you just need to incorporate the camry controls into the mk1 stalks

any help i can give just holler mate

Marksman
24-11-2007, 17:05
I'm up for a little of this too, just happen to have cut off the cruise control gubbins from a Camry :hidesbehi

Owen.

Paul Woods
24-11-2007, 17:22
thief! :)

Paff
24-11-2007, 17:29
Paul he's not a thief, it was actually out of the other camry. Oh and Owen, who took all the gubbins out :)

millentubby
24-11-2007, 18:39
Sweet :D If Captain Woods says do it then who am I to argue?!

Just a few q's to those who have 'done' Camry's before...

1. Where does the CC system take the speed information from?
2. Is there a separate CC ECU or is it all done in the main ECU?
3. Any info on the wiring going to the control? I'm hoping it's a nicely bundled loom that just runs under the dash from the ECU to the Steering Column. Somehow I doubt it'll be as simple as that!

It shall be done. :cool:

sketchy
24-11-2007, 20:52
well the autos measure speed with 2 sensors...for mr2's with a mechanical speedo drive its the dash cluster(which also provides the signal for the speed cut at 180km/h in manuals too)

and most of them(3vz ecu's) already have an electronic speedo drive pickup too start with(3 wire)

and also there is a secondary speed sensor on the back of the auto trans...both the A241e(mr2) an A541e(camry/windom)...(2 wire)

I dont know how they tie in just yet....but I have been reading through both manuals for some reason....I also dont know how it will behave with a manual box...when it wants too "kickdown"...Im not saying "dont try"....more like "expect headaches"lol

Marksman
24-11-2007, 22:28
Paul he's not a thief, it was actually out of the other camry. Oh and Owen, who took all the gubbins out :)

Fair point mate :blush:

Owen.

millentubby
25-11-2007, 00:03
Cheers Sketchy :)

Owen - so does that make Paff the Perp' and you an Accomplice?!

Paul Woods
25-11-2007, 10:11
i think its more of a pimp and bitch relationship colin lol

Paff
25-11-2007, 12:57
Both wrong there :)

And to be fair Owen was busy working on a different part of the car, it just so happens I always get the wiring removal jobs :)

I'll see if I can take a look at the loom properly in the light sometime. I do know there is a speed control box that I removed so that may be what ties it all in together with the auto box and ECU

Arkwright
26-11-2007, 11:54
i think its more of a pimp and bitch relationship colin lol

I think in this particular situation I would be the pimp and they would both be my bitches - but I won't say that too loudly or they will hit me and will stop doing the "little" jobs I've asked them to do for Tiger :hidesbehi :eek2:

They both hate it when I go for a pint with them because as we sit there discussing what we are planning for our respective cars I say "How about...." or "Could you..." and they know I've just added another ballache of a job to my project!

By the way - thank you boys for all your hard work. It has been very much appreciated by both me and her bitchship - although she'll never say so!

Lee
27-11-2007, 07:17
With regards to how the throttle is controlled, does it use an actuator that requires a vacuum source?

I was thinking I would like to keep the CC too on my conversion but being supercharged could throw up same issue as I had on my turbo. Problem I had when trying to fit an aftermarket kit to it, was that once on boost, I couldn't find a constant vacuum source on the engine for the actuator.

I was going to get around this by fitting a range rover cruise control vacuum pump, but like many things I haven't had the chance to get around to this :banghead:

Looking at the stalk, it looks very similar to a friends Mk2 factory fitted CC so hopefully may swap over no bothers?:confused:

weegaz22
27-11-2007, 07:51
theres always the option of aftermarket CC as well

cant really see the point though, but then again i dont even have a stereo in my mk1 so who am i to judge

Jaemus
27-11-2007, 09:36
id really like to get CC going on my mk2, which has standard CC fitted. i dont remember at the time, but i think there was something plugged into the electric sender box thats in between the gearbox and the mechanical speedo cable, atm its just an empty plug. i presume whatever it was, was part of the 3SGE engine harness. i've had a look at some wiring diagrams for the mk2, and they show a seperate CC ECU. it also claims its a very small box in one of the footwell kick panels, but i havent found it yet. so what does ppl think, would it be easier to try and adapt the mk2 system? or the camry setup?