PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Vent

OlberJ
20-11-2007, 19:57
Right, av been thinking, dangerous i know but it had to be done.

We all have some problems with cooling on our cars, simply due to the location of the engine and lack of direct airflow to it, this is obviously exaserbated if you're running a tubby.

So what i was thinking of doing, was ripping off an idea from the Ford RS200.

Do you think it's be possible to raise the rear "spoiler" at the top of the car to create a long thin scoop, and then duct this air through 2 channels either side of the rear window into the 2 areas that your normal "toms" style scoops feed to?

This way you get a force fed induction and still have a back window without having "snorkels" sticking out the side of the car?

Thinking it would look a touch like this :

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/11/126.jpg

I reckon it'd be fairly easy to make the grey channel bits out of clear perspex or the like and it'd be a fairly subtle modification but should yeild a fair old amount of cool air into the engine.

As i understand it the top spoiler does see a fair bit of air over the top and is used to help out with the low air pressure area just behind it, would putting the spoiler a little higher and creating more of a spoil benefit or hinder the current setup?

Your thoughts and opinions please.

Jiff Lemon
21-11-2007, 08:14
You need to stop thinking and do more work on that bloody V6 lol

Forcing air in isn't the problem, its getting the hot air OUT. The natural flow of air if from under the engine bay and out. Your proposing to try and force air in where it's trying to get out.

Oh and the RS200 roof scoops were for feeding air through the intercooler, which was mounted along the top of the roofline, not for getting air into the bay :thumbsup:

snowtigger
21-11-2007, 19:41
U know the snorkels that go on the engine cover what if u swaped them over u know so the snorkels faced back words then the drag off the air would pull the hot air out of the bay just a thought.

weegaz22
21-11-2007, 19:56
wouldnt really work in my opinion, you dont have masses of air coming into the bay like you do on a front engined car with all air coming in through front bumper and grills, if you want cooler induction mount the filter into somewhere where theres plenty of cool air, or add water injection

myers
21-11-2007, 20:07
The other option is to do what im goin to try and move the petrol filler and put a vent in its place,

The only trouble is i cant find a fiat coupe filler cap with key.

Mark.

snowtigger
21-11-2007, 20:33
have a look at www.carbuildersolutions.co.uk on there catalog page 16 aero fuel filler with remote fitting and lockable 65 quid and filler neck is 15 quid hope it helps dude.

myers
21-11-2007, 20:53
have a look at www.carbuildersolutions.co.uk on there catalog page 16 aero fuel filler with remote fitting and lockable 65 quid and filler neck is 15 quid hope it helps dude.

Top find fella, thats just the trick :jump: ,

A bit pricey but hey shiney bits r always worth the money, just dont tell the misses or she will be after a ring:hidesbehi

snowtigger
21-11-2007, 21:58
shes already got one has kept her of my back for about eight years lmfao the trick is not to set a date and when it comes up just deny it and carry on. fit the bits under her nose by saying u need it because it will fail the mot on blank blank blankety blank and your home free and always say yes darling of course darling and your always right darling gets u of the hook in most situations.

myers
21-11-2007, 22:16
always say yes darling of course darling and your always right darling gets u of the hook in most situations.[/QUOTE]

she would think i had another woman on the side if i started that, lol

Got some other good stuff on that site.:thumbsup:

podge
21-11-2007, 22:40
you could just scoop the enderside of the car and force more air up and out

snowtigger
21-11-2007, 22:55
AHA more like reverse scoop under tray.

weegaz22
22-11-2007, 00:30
or just leave the engine lid off, its excess weight, slows you down and hides yer big bulge:hidesbehi

sixafterfour
22-11-2007, 01:02
I would rather make more vents outward. maybe replace the back wall (not the firewall, but where the lights are) with a metal mesh. I think thats what im going to do.

jimi
22-11-2007, 01:33
I would rather make more vents outward.
That's a good point, often forgotten about, no point in trying to get more flow if there is no way for it to escape :thumbsup:

Zip
22-11-2007, 04:25
you could just scoop the enderside of the car and force more air up and out

That would be a good idea. :thumbsup:

But wouldnt it mess with the cars low and high air pressure spots? :eh:

podge
22-11-2007, 08:16
wouldnt have thaught so, the flow is in that direction anyway

sixafterfour
22-11-2007, 09:51
it would create downforce i would think if done correctly.
Air traveling at a fast rate under the car would then get sucked up at a lower rate.
That would create a venturi effect bringing the car downwards.

sketchy
22-11-2007, 10:01
well actually...one of the local MR2 club guys has an AW targa rally car...with of all things a cut down sink....as a scoop under the car....
will find a link for you guys later when I get home from work...

was also thinking about moulding a scoop on my roof...much like the clk gtr scoop..and running it down the c pillars..on my sw though..but it would ruin the venturi effect that draws heat out of the engine bay...

unless it was just for a pressurised cold air box;)...but then one side is dead weight......unless you do twin plenums on a v6 with twin TB's...and filters