PDA

View Full Version : Link G3 ECU

OohMatron
19-11-2007, 16:25
Just to add to Lyndon's post, the Link G3 is available as an add-on to the V6 conversions that are popular at the moment. We installed a G3 on a 3VZFE based car a couple of months ago now, with improvements in torque and power delivery throughout the rev range. We can also use the Link ECU to add extra functionality - in the test car it switches on the Rogue engine bay fan kit based on water temperature and / or throttle position.

The V6 engine requires the same temperature sensor as the rev 1/2 turbos, and just the same as that installation it does away with the requirement for an airflow meter. The standard G3 ECU can support up to 1.5 bar of boost if you're planning the forced induction route, and up to 4 bar for those planning world domination!

Cost is £449.99+ vat for the ECU, £24.99+vat for the inlet air temperature sensor, and £99.90+vat for installation. (Installation is free as part of a Rogue Motorsport V6 transplant). Initial mapping is fixed at £249.99+vat for a road map or £349.99+vat for a dyno map.

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222

The above is from an IMOC post.

Is this a serious option to possibly consider instead of a Hydra unit.? Cost of above all in is around the £1100 mark.

I know the Hrydra has the plug 'n' play loom so how would they fit the Link into my car.? :confused:

Plus, excuse my ignorance, is there a benefit to losing the AFM.?

Ta for the advice.

snowtigger
19-11-2007, 19:11
less weight less electrical thingys to go wrong er next person.

Garbe
19-11-2007, 20:04
sounds more technical ? next

biteme
19-11-2007, 20:36
Sounds like a very decent unit from what I've heard. Some of the 3SGTE boys have had reasonable results with them.

They don't have all the features of the Hydra, but they don't pretend to. Ideal budget ECU IMO.

I've actually been speaking to someone about a potential supply of these as a midrange ECU

Jiff Lemon
19-11-2007, 20:55
Wasn't there some problems with Dump valves and airflow meters? Or turbos and airflow meters in general?

biteme
19-11-2007, 20:56
Yea, Rev1 and Rev2 seemed to have some problem with vent to atmosphere dump valves. That's the AFM.

Moving to MAP cured this - hence the problem never occured in the Rev 3+ cars.

OohMatron
19-11-2007, 21:19
Right,

Some good answers and some entertaining ones :blabla:

Thanking you all..!!

So this is probably aimed more at the 'G' man, glad you're looking into the supply of these things, would definately prefer to buy 'in house', you'll have to keep me posted.

Would the Link be alright with the TRD S/C.?

Now for some tech questions, I know AFM is Air FLow Meter and that MAP is Manifold Absolute Pressure and I've got an idea of the theory, but, how does this temperature sensor arrangement work on the Link.?

Cheers Y'All

biteme
19-11-2007, 21:33
I don't know how the link works to be honest. But the Hydra has a temperature sensor that allows for some adjustment of the map based on air temp and therefore pressure/density etc.

They'll work ok with the TRD SC - but the Hydra is a known quantity on them. We've had 2 done, both VERY VERY happy with it. (That's Jinja and MR2Extreme).

Whoozy had his V6 Turbo done as well. Again all good. I guess it's what you're comfortable with - and I'm quite happy with the Hydra and the support we have (Tracktive, Sea2Sky - and soon me - as I'm going on th e courses for supporting and mapping - but this is only for changing existing maps, not creating new ones - I'll leave that to the genius boys at Tracktive! :P ).

I'll keep you posted Stephen. Speak to you about it more at the Xmas Do!

OohMatron
19-11-2007, 22:04
I don't know how the link works to be honest. But the Hydra has a temperature sensor that allows for some adjustment of the map based on air temp and therefore pressure/density etc.

They'll work ok with the TRD SC - but the Hydra is a known quantity on them. We've had 2 done, both VERY VERY happy with it. (That's Jinja and MR2Extreme).

Whoozy had his V6 Turbo done as well. Again all good. I guess it's what you're comfortable with - and I'm quite happy with the Hydra and the support we have (Tracktive, Sea2Sky - and soon me - as I'm going on th e courses for supporting and mapping - but this is only for changing existing maps, not creating new ones - I'll leave that to the genius boys at Tracktive! :P ).

I'll keep you posted Stephen. Speak to you about it more at the Xmas Do!

Cheers Mr G, I'd be more comfortable with a known quantity to us V6ers so I guess I'll save me pennies a little harder and go for the Hydra.

Especially as we'll have such good support in place for it.! :thumbsup:

biteme
20-11-2007, 00:50
Cheers Mr G, I'd be more comfortable with a known quantity to us V6ers so I guess I'll save me pennies a little harder and go for the Hydra.

Especially as we'll have such good support in place for it.! :thumbsup:
Cheers Stephen.

We've got good relationships with our suppliers now, they are coming around to the TB way of thinking!

We don't want world domination, just some happy punters. :)

Zip
20-11-2007, 02:14
Its an Australian ECU.

You will find info and reveiws on here:

www.mrtperformance.com.au

And heres the link to there actual site:)
http://www.linkecu.com/products/engine-management/lemg3-whatdoesitdo

sketchy
20-11-2007, 02:55
not austrailian:P...you oz-traa-lee-ans aint claiming them too

they are a kiwi company...based in christchurch "NZ"
if you look at the web page youll see the office number is "+64";)

but they are not bad for quality...and instructions are very straight forward..the gen 1 and 2 ECU's were good value..not seen a g3 one in the flesh yet..

Zip
20-11-2007, 04:42
not austrailian:P...you oz-traa-lee-ans aint claiming them too

they are a kiwi company...based in christchurch "NZ"
if you look at the web page youll see the office number is "+64";)

but they are not bad for quality...and instructions are very straight forward..the gen 1 and 2 ECU's were good value..not seen a g3 one in the flesh yet..

Ah shit, we are +61 :banghead:

Damm confusion

Owell close enough, the forum will still have lots about it anyway :)

New Zealand is pretty much Australians with more sheep and funny accents :rofl:

sketchy
20-11-2007, 06:15
just remember...you guys call us sheep shaggers...like they call the welsh...or is it scotts?...

and you guys buy LOTS of our lamb....remember that the next time you have a sunday roast:P....all that pounding....nice and tender;)

besides...you guys cant even say "six" properly...or "fish and chips" either..:tease:

OohMatron
20-11-2007, 08:42
Thanks to the Southern Hemisphere people for the links :thumbsup:

And for putting me off my Sunday Lamb Roast :freak3:

Zip
20-11-2007, 08:56
besides...you guys cant even say "six" properly...or "fish and chips" either..:tease:

You're the ones that have it all wrong?lol

Since when is six pronounced sex, and Pegs Pronounced pigs?:rofl:

You have much better import laws though<:(

sketchy
20-11-2007, 09:08
our import laws are starting too bite though:(

but I think if you talk too most of the english speaking nations...your the odd one out buddy:P

OlberJ
20-11-2007, 10:24
Welsh and the Scottish?

Welsh and Aberdonians more like. It's scary up there lol

weegaz22
20-11-2007, 17:02
Welsh and the Scottish?

Welsh and Aberdonians more like. It's scary up there lol

aberdeen... where men are men and sheep are scaredlol

snowtigger
20-11-2007, 17:08
will have to have a word with u johnny about these hydras valves and rods at the crimbo do.

biteme
20-11-2007, 23:02
will have to have a word with u johnny about these hydras valves and rods at the crimbo do.

Sure mate, not a problem.

The prices on the units are coming down the more we get - as we get a better relationship with the suppliers etc.

:driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driv ing::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving:: driving::driving:

Rosssco
21-11-2007, 18:55
aberdeen... where men are men and sheep are scaredlol

Yeah, first thing I bought when I moved up was a set of velcro gloves... Makes things much easier...:twisted:

wardie
21-11-2007, 19:20
correct me if im wrong, but from what little i do turn up to my lectures ive gleamd that because the ideal burn ratio depends on the amount of air molecules to fuel, the map sensor can calculate the amount of air more acurately as it can take into account the outside air pressure.. where a afm will only know the volume, but not the pressure, and as the air is more pressurised there is more molecules to burn, this is why the forced induction boys need a map sensor..

biteme
22-11-2007, 09:38
There's also temperatures - which works out the density.

the AFM measures the Air Flow through. The MAP works out the Manifold Pressure. They're just different methods of working out how much air is calculations for the ECU.

MAP is by far the best in my opinion

Nod
26-11-2007, 15:25
I've done two 3VZ MR2's using the Link G3 LEM ecu. They work really well. Think of a Link G3 LEM as a cheap MoTec M4 and the XLEM as a cheap MoTec M800.

One of them has a Twisted Sanity NOS kit fitted. When it comes back before XMAS for other work I will have a play with the NOS and see what improvements/gains can be had.

Lyndon.

biteme
26-11-2007, 19:42
Stephen, VMotorsport will be offering a new solution in the new year, very early in the new year - a budget entry around the £350-£400 mark, hopefully. Will be a standalone plug and play solution for the 3VZ-FE, mapped more aggresively, eliminating some of the niggles.

Hopefully, this will plug the gap, between not standard ECU and the Hydra. Perfect for the N/A or low-blow crowd.

I'll start a seperate thread when the details are finalised with figures and prices. I'll be happy to answer any questions at the Christmas Do, over a pint. :thumbsup:

loadswine
26-11-2007, 22:54
Sounds like just the job Johnny. That should liberate those few extra horses and at sensible money too!:thumbsup:

biteme
26-11-2007, 23:07
Aye! That's what we're all about mate. TB Spirit and all that.

:thumbsup:

OohMatron
27-11-2007, 09:27
Stephen, VMotorsport will be offering a new solution in the new year, very early in the new year - a budget entry around the £350-£400 mark, hopefully. Will be a standalone plug and play solution for the 3VZ-FE, mapped more aggresively, eliminating some of the niggles.

Hopefully, this will plug the gap, between not standard ECU and the Hydra. Perfect for the N/A or low-blow crowd.

I'll start a seperate thread when the details are finalised with figures and prices. I'll be happy to answer any questions at the Christmas Do, over a pint. :thumbsup:

Spot on me old mucker :thumbsup:

It will be good to discuss it over a Stella ;)

biteme
29-04-2008, 12:07
After speaking with Ryan, I actually think the AEM is a better unit now for boosted apps, with the G3 being fine for standard N/A v6's ...

Barronmr
29-04-2008, 12:56
After speaking with Ryan, I actually think the AEM is a better unit now for boosted apps, with the G3 being fine for standard N/A v6's ...

Why's this??

biteme
29-04-2008, 13:45
The AEM has a much better knock control and features closed loop boost control

millentubby
29-04-2008, 15:07
How well supported is the AEM and Link units with regards to people who can set up the units?

sketchy
29-04-2008, 22:34
in NZ home of the "link" its not hard too find good tuners:)

I know the guy I want to do mine...finding an ECU for him to tune is the next problem...lol
its just a case of him wanting too work ouside his comfort zone with ITB's....

Howlin_Mad
29-04-2008, 22:39
What is everyone's thoughts on the Greddy EManage as a viable option for the 3VZ-FE?

Kieren

biteme
29-04-2008, 22:39
How well supported is the AEM and Link units with regards to people who can set up the units?

Ryan G is fully capable of doing both - I'll be having him tune my Supra and the MR2 - he's recommended the AEM for the Supra.

There's an experimental one that COULD be used on the MR2, but it's time and feature dependant :thumbsup:

My view is:
Link for 3VZ-FE in N/A and SC (low blow) form.
AEM for 3VZ-FE turbo and higher power SC
AEM for 1MZ-FE and the 5VZ-FE (due to the ignition systems)