PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers

Charged
15-11-2007, 16:36
I'm intruiged after reading negative comments about these...

The deal is.. i'm getting the extended arches on my 1.5, the wheels i am planning on fitting are 15" and not very wide. i'm worried they are not going to fill out the arches and will look silly

I was planning on fitting some spacers to push the wheels out a bit..

Could someone shed some light .. do spacers mess up the handling? If so why?

Any help appreciated or if you dont know, just ignore me ;) :thumbsup:

biteme
15-11-2007, 16:42
hi mate - my phone mustn;t have replied to the PM!

But I'll paraphrase in here what I said about not liking spacers.

THEY'RE SHITE!

And in a little more detail, they place extra stress on CV joints and wheel bearings. 15mm is prob the most I'd ever contemplate using.

Paff
15-11-2007, 17:08
I need some for mine to clear the 205 brakes but am only going for between a 5-10mm spacer. Just gotta work out what I need for the minimum clearance

weegaz22
15-11-2007, 18:02
hi mate - my phone mustn;t have replied to the PM!

But I'll paraphrase in here what I said about not liking spacers.

THEY'RE SHITE!

And in a little more detail, they place extra stress on CV joints and wheel bearings. 15mm is prob the most I'd ever contemplate using.

bigger wheels do that, as do wrong offset wheels

on a side note if you think that 15mm spacers are bad you should watch chop shop on discovery, the stick on 8 inch spacers...what a bunch of cowboyslol

OlberJ
15-11-2007, 18:29
Same with the rear of the 355 kits, huuuuuge spacers.

Paff
15-11-2007, 18:29
and we all know what most of us think of the 355 kit, very rarely is it done right

biteme
15-11-2007, 18:44
http://www.4x4review.com/products/suspension/spacer2.jpg

The devils work

sweet92turbo
15-11-2007, 18:51
Holly ____ seems like your just asking for something to break there.

Charged
15-11-2007, 19:05
Thanks for the replies... apologies to Johnny for my tongue in cheak post :hidesbehi

weegaz22
15-11-2007, 19:18
Holly ____ seems like your just asking for something to break there.

better to break something with the wheel than roll your 4x4 on a slope cause it doesnt have a wide enough track;)

MartG
16-11-2007, 08:09
Could someone shed some light .. do spacers mess up the handling? If so why?

One reason is down to the normal camber change when cornering - as standard the geometry of the suspension creates a camber change and the contact patch of the tyre kinda rotates about its centre. With spacers the centre of the camber change is in the same place but the tyre contact patch is offset from this point. In extreme cases it can mean that the slightest camber change results in the tyre just running on its edge - not the best for grip

biteme
16-11-2007, 09:53
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/11/99.jpg

Here's a beard for you Mart! lol

MartG
16-11-2007, 10:00
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/11/99.jpg

Here's a beard for you Mart! lol

Not grey enough rotflmao

snowtigger
16-11-2007, 13:46
looks like your wife could do with a shave dude.

superchargedsam
17-11-2007, 18:16
Just playing devils advocate here but ws reading up recently on a lot of tuning myths and it in they mentioned wheel spacers and while they said the idea wasnt brilliant they did state they had never ever heard of bearings or CVs going bang due to thier use. Personally they scare the crap out of me as having once trained as an engineer I can see how the extra stresses can be a problem but also never heard of them actually causing a problem even though we all think they would cause bearings and CVs to go has anyone ever genuinly had them go? have been through a few bearings on the front of the SC which I blame on the fecked up motorways we have in the UK. Like I said no condoning thier use or saying they are any good but never seen any proof saying they caused CV or bearing failures even though plain common sense would say they would!