PDA

View Full Version : V6 Exhaust - separate system for each bank?

millentubby
07-11-2007, 11:42
This must have been done by now! But can't find anything on it so far...

Was reading up more and thinking about my coming swap and thought instead of lamenting the stock y-pipe, modifying it, or creating a new one I would remove it completely.

I want have each bank of cylinders breathing through their own independant exhaust flows - have nice stainless piping going through an intermediate muffler and on to suitable back boxes.

Has this been done on here yet? If so what issues arise?

I did worry about the o2 sensor not getting correct readings but apparently there isn't one after the y-section.

OlberJ
07-11-2007, 11:50
There's only one after the Y on californian spec vehicles.

Would you put in 2 silencers? Where?

Think you might have to cross them and have one sitting infront of the other.

biteme
07-11-2007, 11:53
This must have been done by now! But can't find anything on it so far...

Was reading up more and thinking about my coming swap and thought instead of lamenting the stock y-pipe, modifying it, or creating a new one I would remove it completely.

I want have each bank of cylinders breathing through their own independant exhaust flows - have nice stainless piping going through an intermediate muffler and on to suitable back boxes.

Has this been done on here yet? If so what issues arise?

I did worry about the o2 sensor not getting correct readings but apparently there isn't one after the y-section.

I had that :)

OlberJ
07-11-2007, 12:39
Did you have the intermediate mufflers Johnny?

I think the probelm will be space, you'll need to criss cross them, or have very short ones which mite not do much.

I'll use this 2 seperate full system setup when i do the inline TT jobby.

Jinja
07-11-2007, 12:44
I dont think Johnny bothered with mufflers on the V6 night club did you mate....lol

biteme
07-11-2007, 12:45
No mufflers at all one mine mate ... hence the noise

biteme
07-11-2007, 12:45
I dont think Johnny bothered with mufflers on the V6 night club did you mate....lol
I can't help but smile when that's mentioned lol

millentubby
07-11-2007, 14:37
http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/custom_parts.php?mat=Stainless&dia=2.5+inch

These guys sell muffler boxes that'll go before the back box. Not particularly cheap but will be ebaying like a champ to see what's what :)

What are operational disadvantages when running a system like this?

OlberJ
07-11-2007, 15:29
Lack of back pressure if they're too free flowing?

Car blowing out it's own arse. N/A needs a bit of back pressure to keep flow through the combustion chamber nice.

biteme
07-11-2007, 15:39
Never really bothered with stuff like that;)

OlberJ
07-11-2007, 15:53
Aye, Dick Turpin the boost boy obviously had no problems with it thanks to his Turd and Nipple SuperChargers.

As i think you're going NA you might have problems, even Davie had problems with his system being too free flowing (excuse the pun).

millentubby
07-11-2007, 16:52
It'll be well silenced, as I dont' want it to be too loud. Also 2" pipes should be large enough for each bank.

Will be running stock fannymoulds for the time being so that will be the biggest restriction anyway, non?

lodgeman
07-11-2007, 18:42
the only problem i see with the mk 1 is space, there is no room under the engine when fitted so it has to be after. now my flange starts just before the rear crossmember so you only have basically the space of the boot to get 4 bends and 4 boxes

snowtigger
07-11-2007, 19:23
why not use motor cycle back boxes just two of them of a scrappy 1300 hyabusa should do thats wot i am looking at have back pressure and should flow well enough and satisfy the rozzers for noise ahem pollution. i have a set lined up for my install a pair of titanium race cans so light and big enough bore to flow a turbo and they can be repacked so bonus all round.

Jinja
07-11-2007, 19:24
That's becasue you're always blowing out your own arse Johnny...!!!! ;)

Paff
07-11-2007, 19:49
why not use motor cycle back boxes just two of them of a scrappy 1300 hyabusa should do thats wot i am looking at have back pressure and should flow well enough and satisfy the rozzers for noise ahem pollution. i have a set lined up for my install a pair of titanium race cans so light and big enough bore to flow a turbo and they can be repacked so bonus all round.

might work with Busa free flow cans but personally I'd steer away from bike cans. My system is along those lines and altho it sounds a little nuts under full chat, bike can;s arn't designed for the right flow.

Hense the reason the bike can is being scrapped from mine and my new exhaust fitted soon as I can pursuade Owen to do some more welding :) not really very restrictive the new exhaust but what the hell I'll change it again if theres too much bother :)

snowtigger
07-11-2007, 19:53
these cans were of a pro fuel dragster 550 bhp turbo busa so i think they flow well enough

Paff
07-11-2007, 19:54
They'll do then. Just wanted to make sure noone was gonna waste time going the same route i did. altho mine was last min che\ap as ya can solution that was temporary but then I ran out of money so stayed for a bit longer

Marksman
07-11-2007, 22:35
Might be OK Paff, remember we came to the conclusion that your single can flowed about 2/3 of what we needed, so if there were two of them...

O.S.

DVSMR2
08-11-2007, 06:46
iv also got a similar system to what your talking about on mine, and no problems have arisen from it and as per my dyno thread the power seems to be all fine and where it should be for a stock engine. so no reason why ya cant do it

im only running a single muffler on each pipe however they are triple flow things so they shut it up quite well

weegaz22
08-11-2007, 12:39
just a side note on titanium bike cans, ive seen a few sets "tear" on bikes with hard exhaust pulses(big V-twins), once the tear starts theres no stopping it, so might be better option to use ally, they are still light compared to a cars muffler, or carbon, but carbon isnt a fan of hard pulses either as my last bike ate its way through 2 of them, and once the packing starts to get blown out the heat will knacker the carbon

millentubby
08-11-2007, 13:08
Stainless steel all the way for me - means I can get it welded easily :)

snowtigger
16-11-2007, 20:01
I have a genetic disposition to lose my backpressure at the most inaproprate moments resulting in much noise and a general evacuation of said area by all and sundray:fart2: :blowup:

snowtigger
16-11-2007, 20:31
its not back pressure any way its the resonance of the sonic pulses that help as they travel down the round tube thats why u dont have sharpe angles or bends in the pipes so that the gases and sound waves exit better harmonic resonance i think its called coz a zorst has to be tuned as well.The mx5 is a case in point they spent ages trying to emulate a mgb or i could just be barking up the wrong tree but thats wot an exhaust manufacturer said to me.

snowtigger
16-11-2007, 20:58
To get that old world 70s british four pot rust bucket authentic wind in the hair exhaust note to emulate stuck by the road swearing at the stupidity of british layland and lucas the lord of darknes.

millentubby
17-11-2007, 04:11
Well...been trolling the interwebnet for most of the night and I've decided what I'm going to do;

This is the ARK DT-S Aftermarket System for the Honda NSX;

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/11/100.jpg

http://arkperformanceusa.com/photo/data/533/032.jpg

These retail at around $1300 new and still fetch around $800 second hand so I'll just use it as inspiration rather than buying one.

Can get suitably sized silencers from the Jetex website.

It's gonna be sweeeet! :D

snowtigger
17-11-2007, 12:14
Wow nice find uber shiny i want one i want one dam cash flow problems.

millentubby
17-11-2007, 23:48
Just thinking though...this'll mean I'll need to incorporate two flexi-sections into the exhaust.

Right?

OlberJ
19-11-2007, 12:03
Aye but that's not a big job if you're fabbing up a whole exhaust system from scratch.

Tony, thankyou for enlightening me, everyday is in fact a school day.