View Full Version : Charge cooler radiator position

Stu
19-10-2007, 17:07
I’ve been thinking if it would be of benefit to rear mount the radiator for the chargecooler in the boot where the air to air intercooler originally went.

If this would make it more efficient and save weight ?

As it was only the coolers pipe work that went over the top of the engine that used to get hot not the intercooler.

Currently the coolers radiator sits in front of the engines radiator

:shrug:

what do you guys think?

Sponge Bob
19-10-2007, 17:12
I don't think you'd ever get the sheer speed or litres of airflow on a rear mounted one... even if you uber-ducted it... but always worth a try though.

I suppose if you mounted it in a very funky way, i.e. sitting at an angle just underneath the boot/engine bay, then you might get as much air as the front, but not just sat in the boot with ducting...

Jiff Lemon
19-10-2007, 17:45
Has anyone ever measured how hot the coolant in the charge cooler rad gets? My feeling (and it's unproven) is that we're using a totally overkill system, and something smaller and more compact could be used.

Small Rad in the side vent?

Reducing the amount of coolant would also mean a reduction in weight.....

superchargedsam
19-10-2007, 18:02
oil cooler rads in series in a ducted box under the engine (just an idea flame away!)!

Just as an example of how this system runs in a GT4 I have had my ST205 sat at a constant 1.2bar boost for over 30 mins constant on a very very long stretch of private road and after the 30mins were up pulled over to see how hot charge cooler was and was still just warm to the touch (as in was quite safe to rest your hand on the CC itself) and the rad on the GT4 aint huge and pipework not long (but does use 2 stage power to the pump), in comparison the turblow was glowing nicely and hotly! Also Stu if this is purely for a drag race setup only then just fill the charge cooler with iced water before each run (make sur e you have an easy way to drain and refil the system! just an idea like!

Sponge Bob
19-10-2007, 20:28
I've got a temperature probe running into my chargecooler core coolant, but my clutch bearing makes noises so i've not had the change to test it properly.... will report back once done!!