PDA

View Full Version : Clutch bearing/Good garage!!

Sponge Bob
17-10-2007, 15:10
I mentioned this a while ago, but when (and only when) I put my foot on the clutch - it makes a nasty sound exactly like when the alternator belt is slipping.

Now people said at the time it was the clutch bearing, and it sounds like a pretty good diagnosis - but one question, why is it only when I press the clutch down- does the bearing only rotate when it's being pressed against... I thought it was always spinning?

The main question however is, are there any good MR2 garages around the Bedfordshire/Milton Keynes area who can do it (I don't have an engine crane :( and generally cannot be bothered to do more jobs on the car)... also what sort of price do people think it will come at?

Thanks
Ash

Mistertwokw
17-10-2007, 15:57
try jinxy, he's not that far away.

ki

Jiff Lemon
17-10-2007, 16:02
Bob,

If you're not going to use the car over the winter and its not really affecting performance, then why not look at simply hiring a crane (may have one this end) and yoinking the lot out?

That way you can do the thousand and one little jobs you'd promised yourself you'd do whilst building it!

Cost wise? My friend with a Mk2 just got quoted £450 + parts for a mk2 clutch job.

Sponge Bob
17-10-2007, 17:16
I'm aiming to use the car generally as a daily driver. It seemed to cope fine a while ago when I was using it (pre-chargecooler)... plus I want to give it a really good drive before yoinking the engine back out again!!

£450 is waaaaay more than I was hoping for though :cry:

Ki - does Jinxy run a garage?

Charged
17-10-2007, 17:30
3S Service centre in Hampshire have treated me very well in the past...

Jiff Lemon
17-10-2007, 17:36
I'm aiming to use the car generally as a daily driver. It seemed to cope fine a while ago when I was using it (pre-chargecooler)... plus I want to give it a really good drive before yoinking the engine back out again!!

£450 is waaaaay more than I was hoping for though :cry:

Ki - does Jinxy run a garage?

So put up with the squeel you big girl! :gay:

Seriously, its not that big a deal and only worth fixing if you were taking the lump out for something else

Mistertwokw
17-10-2007, 21:47
jinxy seem sto tackle most mr2 type jobs, he runs a spares/repairs/servicing type outfit, best bet is to e mail jim through imoc and see what he suggests.

Cant hurt.

snowtigger
17-10-2007, 21:51
yes put a proper engine not that asthmatic lump if u can hear it your not driving fast enough v6 it and have done with it then just listen to that burble .

Sponge Bob
17-10-2007, 23:44
lol - lots of helpful comments (from half of you!!)

Is anything likely to happen if I use it in the condition it's in every now and again... it's not going to suddenly eat my gear box up is it???

Jiff Lemon
18-10-2007, 00:03
The only thing that will happen is some smart arsed passenger will ask about the squeeling clutch release bearing.....

snowtigger
18-10-2007, 00:03
no u just end up with out the clutch as the bearing disintegrates against the pressureplate and the bearings get thrown around the clutch destroying it like schrapnell and u lose all forward momentum or it gets stuck in gear if your lucky and u get home about three in the morning in 2nd gear with the other half moaning at u that u should have got it fixed when the nice man at the garage told u to and its raining oh just me then.

Garbe
18-10-2007, 00:32
mate just let us know when you need a hand to change over the box - as i am sure you have a garbe, a BSM and a jiffy ready to help you out when your'e ready!

Sponge Bob
18-10-2007, 09:21
I might well have to call upon the powers of Super-Garbe, Dr. Jiffle and his robotic side-kick BSM...!!

Will look into borrowing an engine hoist (Dr J?) from someone as old Snowy up there paints a pretty good picture of worst case scenarios!!

OlberJ
18-10-2007, 09:37
Dr J? That me?

I've got Jiffsters block and tackle here, gimme a shout when you need it and i'll get it down to you. :thumbsup:

Garbe
18-10-2007, 10:37
Lets do an A-Team on this sucker

Sponge Bob
18-10-2007, 10:52
Dr J is the Jiffstar himself... but you can also be Dr J just to confuse things - How do you know if your garage roof can support a block & tackle by the way? Although I suspect BSM could just hold the engine up by himself, so possibly not needed lol

If everyone is up for some weekend fun perhaps....?

OlberJ
18-10-2007, 10:58
We tested ours by swinging on it, 3 of us. lol

It's more what you hold the block and tackle to the strut with that's the worry, eh Murf :hidesbehi

Tis there if you need it back, DoctorB or DoctorJ.

jasper
18-10-2007, 12:14
I've got a crane here Ash if you need it....

Sponge Bob
18-10-2007, 12:24
Paul you're a legend!!!! :thumbsup: If I could borrow that this weekend, it would be superb...

Jiff Lemon
18-10-2007, 14:49
Won't be arriving back from Iceland till late saturday so depending on the number of beers I've consumed tonight, friday and saturday depends on whether I'll be twirling spanners or helping mrs bob watch the kettle.....

Sponge Bob
18-10-2007, 15:40
Anyone who's up for it, let me know... they'll be liquid refreshements, food, etc I've ordered a new thrust bearing so that'll be at my friendly local Mr T for Sat morn pickup... need to talk to Jasp re. engine hoist, and it's all systems go!!

Garbe
18-10-2007, 16:43
Should be back in northampton this weekend - if nothing comes up I'll be there.
Is saturday the day then?

Sponge Bob
18-10-2007, 17:05
It depends... I guess i'll be prepping everything on Sat & then actually dropping it on Sun (if weather's ok, and the forecast says yay) so it's whether anyone wants to join me!!

Garbe
20-10-2007, 11:58
Sorry can't make it - our boiler's gone up the duff - been on the phone trying to get a plumber out, just managed to get one to come out and have a look.

biteme
20-10-2007, 11:59
Take the British Gas insurance out! :)

Garbe
20-10-2007, 12:03
My bro has got a policy but not the BG one - I spoke to them and they said they couldn't get anyone out till possibly wednesday (wank)

snowtigger
20-10-2007, 12:20
tell them its for ur gran they will be there in about an hour priority queing system u see looks bad if they dont come out and rescue the old biddies.from a slow cold lingering death or put a cardigan on u nesh git and boil the kettle for hot water .our boiler whent on christmas eve could not get any one for 2 weeks thermals on even in bed so got my sthill grinder and stone cutting discks and cut a big hole in the chimmney where it had been bricked up and had anice log fire going on christmas day toasty warm .

biteme
20-10-2007, 12:23
Yeh, buy an old woman off eBay and just put her in your lounge? Alternatively, burn a hoodie to keep warm

weegaz22
20-10-2007, 22:36
Alternatively, burn a hoodie to keep warm

didnt realise shite burns

snowtigger
21-10-2007, 09:30
only if its dryed up flameing log of despair .

Sponge Bob
06-11-2007, 09:38
Well well well - turns out that the bolts on the bottom of the gearbox were slightly loose, which had led to the box coming away from the engine by about 4mm... tightened it all up and no more clutch sound!!!

One hell of a job saved - must invest in some thread-lock and use on everything in future!! lol

OlberJ
06-11-2007, 09:50
I did that on me old 205mi16.

Clutch wouldn't fully disengage, tried desperatley to get it home, swearing at people who made me stop, got 2 streets away and it stalled completely.

Gotta remember that last bolt check after a swap. Can be nasty.

Sponge Bob
06-11-2007, 10:05
Tell me about it... the problem is I tighten stuff up, but when I get too fruity, they just snap on me? But the ones I don't snap end up coming loose... it's like you've got to get the balance just right (or replace every damn one...) or use lots of thread lock on things...

Just glad I've not got to drop my engine and mess around, because it would have taken me weeks (if at all) to get round to actually finishing it...!