Thread: AW11 + 1MZ + S54 - Conversion Tips

Icon3 AW11 + 1MZ + S54 - Conversion Tips

I've been sourcing parts for my 1MZ conversion for the last 12 months and would like to kick it off in December while taking 2 weeks annual leave. What I'm looking for is everyone to chime in with all the 'little things' that are commonly missed during the conversion. I kinda want to get all the small things purchased or worked out so I don't get half way through my conversion and find I need some little part and it will take a week to get it.

I have a few questions to start off with.

Clutch Slave Cylinder - Does the AW11 C52 one bolt onto the S54 Gen1/2 box?
    Shifter Cables - Does the AW11 shifter cables bolt straight into the S54 gearbox?

Anything else?

Clutch Slave Cylinder - Jiff says YES, Paul says NO... Who is right?
    Shifter Cables - Olber & Paul say Mod

Don't know about the slave cylinder but the bracketry round it is very different to the between the 2. I'd buy a box with all the bits attached to it for your swap, then you can't go wrong.

I had to mod the shift cable on my conversion.

Oh and DON'T buy a VVTi MZ without an ECU, no matter how cheap it may be. :icon_lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Limeymk1 View Post
    I had to mod the shift cable on my conversion.
    Can you provide some details on the mods you performed?

Quote Originally Posted by Limeymk1 View Post
    Oh and DON'T buy a VVTi MZ without an ECU, no matter how cheap it may be. :icon_lol:
    I bought a 97 non-vvti 1MZ about 12 months ago, tossed the stock ecu as I will be running MegaSquirt ;)

Quote Originally Posted by knightrous View Post
    Can you provide some details on the mods you performed?
    Been a while but from what I recall I measured the diameter of the rods aft of the gear stick and got some tube of the same diameter. Then,after installing the engine and box, I cut the rod on the shift link attached the other end to the gearbox and slid the tube over the cut ends and tack welded them on, tested that the shift worked then finished off the welds. Difficult bit is keeping the rods straight and level while tacking them into the tube.

I'll see if I took any pics.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrous View Post
    I bought a 97 non-vvti 1MZ about 12 months ago, tossed the stock ecu as I will be running MegaSquirt ;)
    Good choice, saves the nausea that is VVTi.

Fuel Pressure Regulator!

It's done in tank on a Cammy 1mz so you'll need one to do your fuel return :)

ALSO

As a friend of mine learnt the costly way; ECU transponder, coil ring, little gold box OBDII connector and associated wiring loom. FFS don't miss them! (But if you're running MS you wont need)

ALSO

5th gear mod :)

hey guys im new to the forum... looking for some good advice, I have an 87 mk1 and i also have a 99 toyota solara 1mz 5speed for a donor car i know i can can get the engine mount from woodsport i have tranny questions for the conversion and on mk1 to 1mz wiring guide i can use all the help i can get.. this is my first mr2 and want that 1mz in it

Probably easier to do a new post in the Introduce yourself forum - Helpful tip - we all love pictures, so plenty of pics means plenty of attention!
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Quote Originally Posted by dgh938peg View Post
    little gold box OBDII connector and associated wiring loom.
    What exactly is this bit you're talking about? I just cut the OBDII connector with 8" of wire, was there a box I needed to grab off my donor (which is long since scrapped, yay!)

christ, I sure make great first impressions bumping a thread from a year and a half ago that's still on the first page of this forum. Oh well. Sorry!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Your donor may or may not have had an immobiliser from the factory, if it did then you are missing the transponder/key/pickup coil etc to make your ECU work, give me the ECU part number and i will check it out for you, should start with 89661-#####

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here