Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine overhaul questions

Hi, static timing should be 10 deg btdc I think. You will need to lock the backlash cogs as per the wsm, and then yes, mark the cogs etc and maybe take some pics before you dismantle.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    All of the factory marks are already there, no need to mark anything.

There are double and single dots on the cam gears and single marks on the pulleys with ridges on the backplate.

Also you're confusing cam timing with ignition timing, everything is aligned at TDC, not 10*.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Ahh, thanks a bunch guys, found the workshopmanual online.
    I actually had no idea about the backlash cogs, saved me for a huge headache there...

What do you guys do with the ACIS?
    In the previous MR2 I had this engine in, i kept the entire thing, vacuum bottle and everything, but now I´m thinking about welding the damn thing shut, good idea or bad?
    I really can´t see how its suppose to help anything when its open, all I can think is turbulence.
    And does anyone have a link or two for some tips on porting the heads an accessories WITH pictures? The only ones I´ve found online is really old and with the pictures gone...

The acis was designed to allow the intake to adapt to different driving conditions, and provide economy and performance. Its trial and error as to whether its better for your style of driving. I remove the can and loop the pipe, seems fine, but then I've never really done a lot of testing.

Have a look on wikipedia and understand how it works, then decide what's best for you.

The acis as chris explained is a vacuum controlled system that acts kind of like a vtec system does in honda's l.

Where in a honda you have a higher lift cam when in vtec.. the acis diverts the air flow through the longer tubes in the intake plenum allowing for smoother flow and getting more grunt out the car.. sounds awesome too..
    Well i know my car did...lol

I see, I´ve read a little about it, and probably will just leave it closed.
    Thanks for your answers/thougts:eusa_angel:

It´s been a long time, but things tend to take time with a toddler running around...
    But I have atleast done a bit of headwork (done by myself, not much, but everything helps right? ), painted some parts, glass blasted the heads, skimmed the heads, new valve guides on the exhaust valves (inlet ones was ok) new valve seals and baffled my sump.
    How do you guys think about reusing the headbolts? I was at my local mr T dealer, to order some parts, and the guy there said it was no use in ordering new ones, just reuse the old ones... But I´m a little sceptic.

A few pics says more than a thousand words:

Nice work!

Head bolts i have reused, i think there was some rumour that they were stretch bolts, but i dont think they are. I dont bother with the torque down procedure though, i think that whole add 90 degrees thing is too much, which is why gaskets get distorted. I take them up to about 85FtLB in several passes. Seems fine so far.

c.

Thanks!
    Money saved for me then, will post up more when I get the chance to get some more hours in the garage (in a year or two lol )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast