Hi

Has anyone tried something like this?

"D1 SPEC Radiator Breather Tank

100% Brand New in Box
    Made In Japan
    D1 SPEC Radiator Breather Tank
    Universal Fit!!
    Come with D1 SPEC Radiactor Cap!!

The Breather Tank, also known as an Air Seperation Tank, will help remove air from the cooling system for a highly reliable cooling system. Air in the cooling system can cause hot spots on various engine components, which can cause great damage if left unnattended.

The Breather Tank designed originally for racing engines, todays compact production engines can also benefit from the used of Radiator Bleed Tank. By mounting the tank high up in the engine compartment, you can be assured that of a fully filled system with room for air expansion, thus reducing chances of overheating due to air-lock. Block-off radiator cap included."
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've seen plenty of race engines, but I've never seen any fitted with a breather tank of this description. Most race engines will have bleed valves in the system anyway, as well as an expansion cap.

Regards

It's essentially extra weight just to save some time & effort - so I wouldn't expect it to be used in race application either... If you bleed the engine properly, spend time on it, and have it airtight - then there's no need for this at all.

Good find though - i'm sure someone will find a use... could probably modify it to make a oil catch can or something
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

I'd rather have extra weight in the form of a swirl pot :)

cheaper just too go too repco and get an oil catch can...and bleed the cooling system properly the first time....

though has anyone dry sumped a v6 yet?...if so how big a tank did they use...and where did they put it?(yeah ok...so maybe Im thinking about it...not for the current project but....)

Sports Toyota Breakers
    You only need a swirl pot or a tank like the above if you're running big power on a 3S - ie 500+. I know the fensport guys swear by them on big power engines as it helps prevent the localised hotspots that crack the blocks & heads, I assume from pockets or air in the system.

Jon @ STB

Yep. I'm not planning one on the 5VZ ... yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Toyota Breakers
    You only need a swirl pot or a tank like the above if you're running big power on a 3S - ie 500+. I know the fensport guys swear by them on big power engines as it helps prevent the localised hotspots that crack the blocks & heads, I assume from pockets or air in the system.

Jon @ STB
    The engine will fail as a result of the cooling system failing generally, the fact that it's one spot that fails is no more associated with a "hot spot" than it is simply being the weakest part of the chain.

There's a law of diminishing return that also applies to diminishing expenditure, i.e. what to spend their money when they've purchased everything else.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Toyota Breakers

Jon @ STB
    you realise what a swirl pot is?

its a tank in the fuelling system that ensures a steady fuel flow to the engine. you have a low pressure pump feeding from the fuel tank to the swirl pot, and a high pressure pump feeding from the swirl pot to the fuel rail. then there is a return feed from the fuel rail. fuel is fed at the top and drawn at the bottom so that as long as the swirl pot has fuel in it, the engine has a fuel supply

under hard cornering its not unusual to get fuel starvation due to the pickup no longer being submersed in the fuel tank, if youve got a swirl pot then youve got as much fuel as there is in it before you run dry, its basically a "buffer"

it also has the benefit of allowing the tank to be run much closer to empty than it otherwise would be, this is more of a racing benefit than one that would be used on the road though, you arent likely to want to run the fuel tank down to the last litre or 2 lol

hey kender, not needed in the mk1 or mk2 even, we allready have a good coolant expansion tank that works well as stock. which is essentially what that thing is.
    Last edited by adamh; 02-10-2007 at 22:56.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast