Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: intercooler location

I just finished my new intercooler relocation and I'm pretty happy with it. It stays really cool with the big hole I cut in the engine lid! :)

http://home.comcast.net/~mk1point5/I...cation-003.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~mk1point5/I...cation-011.jpg

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    that really is route 1 isnt it,no long pipework at all,turbo straight into IC and then a small bend into TB,you got a big fan under that kirk?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

hi paul. Yeah I've got a 10" spal fan but there's no room for it underneath. I still need to sort out the intake and other stuff to make some room under there.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    what about modding the lid some more,fit a turbo vent on the lid over the ic and stick the fan on top of the ic? theres a good 2" of space above it when you do that....just an idea.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I've got an SC lid that I will probably mod later.

Quote Originally Posted by robwsurf
    i am going for a boot mounted intercooler, drawing air from below, but isnt the exhaust right below? so drawing in hot air when still?

or am i better going for a scoop onto under the spoiler?

what are you guys doing?

Also not planning on cutting into the boot for manifold clearance, has anyone else done this or has everyone cut it away?
    i have done some pressure testing with a good friend of mine who is an air conditioning engineer.

On my i/c setup i am going to duct the air out the back of the car where the numberplate is usually and wanted to duct it using a scoop on the bootlid hopefully using the -tive pressure behind the car and the +tive pressure ontop of the bootlid. I originally wanted to duct the air from under the car but the exhaust was in the way.

Using some pressure difference testing equipment scott brought over we started by testing the pressure difference between the bootlid and the numberplate this showed pretty much 0 pressure difference at 80-100km/hr.
    2nd place to be tested was the rear quater panel which showed marginal difference but not enough (you would proabably have to do 200km/hr to get any flow).

Next place was on the side of the c pillar where you see the sw20 scoops that people put on their cars. This showed a huge pressure difference at even 40-50km/hr.

Last place we tested was at the back of the roof just above the rear windscreen this showed a similar difference to the c pillar.

So if i was to use a scoop on the bootlid i would have needed a fan to draw air into the i/c.

Hope this helps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12