Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: alternator mod

alternator mod

ive been fitting my alternator.. refurbished at 95 quid.. choke. i want to make a bracket to tension it with, old school nut and bolt tensioner and some good old leverage.. heres a picture to describe my plans.. pretty much self explanatory.. theres a site rooted pic incase you cant see the linked one.

the green dot.. the alternator pivot..
    the pink dots.. the usuall join points of the celica top mount alternator bracket.. i want to stick a bracket in between these two points.. pictured bottom. To get the belt length in the middle of the adjustment range.. between centres i need my two pulleys to be 380mm apart.. this gives a top movement between the 55 & 120 of 82.5.. equall adjustment either way etc.

with the pulley diamaters and the distance between centre's.. and the trig of the trailing angles.. and all that stuff.. the belt length wants to be... 1075mm anyone know if the celica belt is around this length?.. or indeed if i am overlooking a simple solution to the alternator tensioning ? :D

Last edited by adamh; 20-08-2006 at 12:07.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Can't see the pic....?

i dont think you could get simpler mate..tried and tested method..
    havent a clue what the belt length should be..
    btw i think your belt is coming off the crank pulley..careful

it is coming off the crank!.. tell me its another pulley.. ? am i missing something again? :lol:.. too much information upstairs ](*,) .. i checked my 'archives for origonal engine pics.. it looks like the alt (to the left) is coming off the crank pulley here.. the PS pump and aircon is on the right

Last edited by adamh; 20-08-2006 at 12:07.

youve scared me now.. wheres yours coming from ?! is it different for rev 3? your pulleys might be different sizes

i was being a twat..in your pic your belt IS literally coming off your pulley..
    calm down dear..:ha:

focker! :lol: had the wind up me there.. mind..its apparently not that hard:-\"

its 0330 here and i can still be facetious..

your wonderful smileys..

on a serious note.. if anyone has any supprting info, i.e, u can get a belt jus like that at beltco.. im all ears.. i guess i can ask for one that length with the rib pattern and it'l do

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    adam that tensioner is exactly what i did...i thought about being all posh and welding a nut on the end of the bar and having a wind out bolt do the tensioning for me,you've seen these before on other alts,but good old fashioned leverage works.

The belt is as simple as wrapping string around your pulleys (not gooleys) and quoting your local parts supplier with the length and number of ribs,if you have bother i can get you a belt.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast