Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket engine management....

Back on topic.....having checked a few links out the link g3 seems like an excellent unit. It also compares price wise to the power fc,£550 for the ecu then mapping on top. I think i'll try to cut a deal on one of those! Cheers for the advice y'all!
    Mk1.5 No.13, sold and gone!

the link is a good unit and runs on standard sensors and alot has a built in map sensor so you can chuck the afm!

www.vems.co.uk

4ag 16v&20v harnesses, 3s harnesses in the pipe.

Has anybody used or know of someone who has used the MegaSquirt 2 from ExtraEFI. I'm interested in a standalone ECU for my Rev 2 track car and have been considering the Emerald K3 but the Megasquirt from ExtraEFI also looks interesting.

I'd reccomend either the emerald or the DTA , I've had two emeralds and am now using a DTA, have found them both really easy to et-up and understand, for me, much easier than the others that I considered

Quote Originally Posted by TAOL View Post
    Has anybody used or know of someone who has used the MegaSquirt 2 from ExtraEFI. I'm interested in a standalone ECU for my Rev 2 track car and have been considering the Emerald K3 but the Megasquirt from ExtraEFI also looks interesting.
    I'm using one from DIY autotune learnt a lot building it they are good for peak horsepower but there are better ecu's for fuel economy, launch control etc etc I'm running a crank trigger and using onboard coil drivers I'd use the igniter and hall trigger with the dizzy but I'm looking for full control of dwell etc and eventually wasted spark and removing the dizzy completely. Mine is a megasquirt II v3.0 pcb just tuning the VR circuit right now so far it's been good I've picked up a lot about tuning and standalone and it is pretty cheap in comparison to say a good link or AEM setup you do lack some features though but for my rally car it's perfect I want a standalone that just works and lets me do what I want. Does depend on how you value your time it is a little more user based on the setup side.

Thanks for that info 328FTW nice to hear your having success with your system..

I did look at the DIY kits but think that would be a step to far for me although I don't want complete plug and play either. For me it's a hobby and it's about getting a system that I can fit and tune myself while learning more about EFI along the way. A good level of technical support will be important to me as I'm a complete beginner with programmable ECU's hence my reason for asking about ExtraEFI. Although the ExtraEFI website looks like it contains most of the information and my email enquires were answered very quickly it would still be nice to hear from someone who is using one of their systems.

I currently run a MegaSquirt 2 v3.0 in my AW11 to run the 4AGE. I bought it in kit form from DIYAutoTune, it took me roughly 5 hours of assembly and I spent a cautious extra hour ensuring it wouldn't go bang when I powered it up (Prior electronics experiences compels me to check everything several times!).

The MS2 is an easy ecu to use and if you know your motor and have correct diagrams, it's pretty simple to wire up to the standard loom and get running. I run mine onto the 4AGE using the standard dizzy VR sensors into the standard igniter unit (The VAST igniter filters the VR signal and provides a square-wave signal like a hall sensor), I however drive the ignition coil directly from the MS2 to allow spark cut limiter (Bang bang!).

I purchased an LC1 Wideband unit to allow myself to tune it, initial tuning only took an hour or two doing street tune by myself (would be half the time with two people). After that it wasa 5mins here and there changing things over the next month or so as I put it through different paces and conditions (Cold start was the biggest thing I had to fiddle with) and tidied my maps up a bit. Economy was rough at first (~350km/tank), but I got it pretty close to stock (425-450km/tank) after a month or two, which isn't too bad since I don't have the EGR circuits and stuff working anymore (which is suppose to help with fuel economy).

I use the free tuning software Tunerstudio for handling all the tuning and configuration on the MegaSquirt, it's a really good program, it allows custom digital display (Want a AFR Guage? Click and add! Ign timing? Click and add!), advanced logging and it's pretty user friendly. The author of the software is always providing regular updates and new features, including a fancy autotune-esque logging and suggestion/correction program.

I'll be transfering the MS2 onto my 1MZ later on this year and using more of its advanced features, look forward to trying out things like launch and traction control for my MK1.6 :)

Quote Originally Posted by knightrous View Post
    I currently run a MegaSquirt 2 v3.0 in my AW11 to run the 4AGE. I bought it in kit form from DIYAutoTune, it took me roughly 5 hours of assembly and I spent a cautious extra hour ensuring it wouldn't go bang when I powered it up (Prior electronics experiences compels me to check everything several times!).

The MS2 is an easy ecu to use and if you know your motor and have correct diagrams, it's pretty simple to wire up to the standard loom and get running. I run mine onto the 4AGE using the standard dizzy VR sensors into the standard igniter unit (The VAST igniter filters the VR signal and provides a square-wave signal like a hall sensor), I however drive the ignition coil directly from the MS2 to allow spark cut limiter (Bang bang!).

I purchased an LC1 Wideband unit to allow myself to tune it, initial tuning only took an hour or two doing street tune by myself (would be half the time with two people). After that it wasa 5mins here and there changing things over the next month or so as I put it through different paces and conditions (Cold start was the biggest thing I had to fiddle with) and tidied my maps up a bit. Economy was rough at first (~350km/tank), but I got it pretty close to stock (425-450km/tank) after a month or two, which isn't too bad since I don't have the EGR circuits and stuff working anymore (which is suppose to help with fuel economy).

I use the free tuning software Tunerstudio for handling all the tuning and configuration on the MegaSquirt, it's a really good program, it allows custom digital display (Want a AFR Guage? Click and add! Ign timing? Click and add!), advanced logging and it's pretty user friendly. The author of the software is always providing regular updates and new features, including a fancy autotune-esque logging and suggestion/correction program.

I'll be transfering the MS2 onto my 1MZ later on this year and using more of its advanced features, look forward to trying out things like launch and traction control for my MK1.6 :)
    I would have loved to start with a 4age with my squirt the setup they use with the igniter is perfect and nice to learn with the 3sge I slapped it on is different it is using hybrid everything and the RPM is the only thing holding me back now I've been tooth logging with tunerstudio and the signal is still a little erratic but I've spent all of 30 minutes cranking so far finding issues as I go so ever closer every try. I'm using the LC-1 as well brilliant for what I do it goes on the new V6 to do the AFM later on. If I can boost it to over 12psi on pump gas I'm happy.

They are fun to play with and if you are a coder you can add a little of your own touch if you really know what you are doing. For now I just want mine running after that I'm doing a twin turbo 3vz in a mkI with a tubbed rear end and full race setup can't wait to test it out on a sequential turbo setup that will be something else not to mention the power it will make if I don't implode the engine.

I've got the Dastek Unichip on the rev3 Murf, its a great little setup and don't need anything else, easily remapped and the company is only in Fife, not too far.
    MK2 REV3 Turbo T-bar @ 320bhp

I'm so JDM, my engine is f""ked!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast